Finalized 180 gallon stocking list

Juan4265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 180 gallon tank has been up and running and done with the initial cycle and is time to start moving over some fish. Before I start buying new fish and stocking the tank, I'd like to make sure everything would be okay together. So my fish list goes as follows:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Purple Firefish
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Solon Redhead Fairy Wrasse
1 Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
1 Bluethroat Triggerfish
1 Magnificent Foxface
1 Lyretail Anthias(female)
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Magestic Angelfish

Anything I should add, remove, or change? Any compatibility issues? Thanks for the feedback!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head, these are some fish I would consider for the mix:
* Sixline and melanarus wrasses (pest-control)
* A pair of lyretail anthias (they like schooling together)
* A lamarck's angelfish is a very peaceful choice for future angel additions, along with maybe a coral beauty dwarf angelfish (you probably won't be able to have more than a pair of dwarfs)

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 180 gallon tank has been up and running and done with the initial cycle and is time to start moving over some fish. Before I start buying new fish and stocking the tank, I'd like to make sure everything would be okay together. So my fish list goes as follows:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Purple Firefish
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Bluethroat Triggerfish
1 Magnificent Foxface
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Magestic Angelfish

Anything I should add, remove, or change? Any compatibility issues? Thanks for the feedback!
Looks like a pretty solid list! Lots of pretty fish in the mix. All of those fish should get along well in that size tank. It might be a little difficult to find a Hawaiian yellow tang for a decent price. Maybe consider the yellow mimic tangs that come from the Philippines. Are you planning on doing it as a reef tank?

- Gavin

OP
OP
Juan4265

Juan4265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty solid list! Lots of pretty fish in the mix. All of those fish should get along well in that size tank. It might be a little difficult to find a Hawaiian yellow tang for a decent price. Maybe consider the yellow mimic tangs that come from the Philippines. Are you planning on doing it as a reef tank?

- Gavin
Thanks! I've already got a Yellow Tang. I was lucky enough to get one before the fishing bans in Hawaii. As of now, it will be a FOWLR system.

OP
OP
Juan4265

Juan4265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* A lamarck's angelfish is a very peaceful choice for future angel additions, along with maybe a coral beauty dwarf angelfish (you probably won't be able to have more than a pair of dwarfs)
Thanks for the feedback! I may consider adding another wrasse. My flame that I currently own can be a little crap sometimes, so maybe adding another dwarf angel wouldn't be the best idea. Maybe a lamarck's would be fine. :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pest control is dealt with as the Yellow “Coris” is actually Halichoeres chrysus. Also I wouldn’t recommend a Sixline to anyone wanting fairy wrasses as that’s just a call for murder.
The rest are all great recommendations though.

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Bangai Cardinal
1 Purple Firefish
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Bluethroat Triggerfish
1 Magnificent Foxface
1 Flame Hawkfish
1 Yellow Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Flame Angelfish
1 Magestic Angelfish

Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus can be slightly more aggressive than other wrasses so maybe change that for something more peaceful such as Cirrhilabrus naokoae or Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Indonesian variants of C. lubbocki hold the most blue compared to the Cebu variant).
Here’s a couple photos of my guys that I’ve mentioned. C. lubbocki is the top one and C. naokoae is the bottom.
0D4E5969-1101-4D5F-8F20-EF875B0B808A.jpeg
4BE96582-4194-4576-9538-6FC2CB06448B.jpeg

The fire fish will most likely be hiding most of the time as they don’t like aggression and most of the large fish you want are aggressive.

Also may I run the idea of a Halichoeres iridis by you? They’re beautiful and do boost the Pest eating. They’re labelled as expert only due to shipping, they’re extremely hard to get past the shipping phase and into the tank.
Here’s an older photo of my transitional male
568BA416-BEF5-410D-9DA1-8070CA9FCF88.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sixline gets along just fine with the fairy wrasse. You'll even catch them occasionally swimming together.
My old one killed any fairy wrasse in the tank, Halichoeres and Macropharyngodon were allowed but absolutely no flasher or fairy wrasses could touch the water.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old one killed any fairy wrasse in the tank, Halichoeres and Macropharyngodon were allowed but absolutely no flasher or fairy wrasses could touch the water.
I must keep winning the sixline lottery then, as these little guys have been some of the most peaceful fish in my tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must keep winning the sixline lottery then, as these little guys have been some of the most peaceful fish in my tank.
It’s all to do with rockwork IME. I have had some that are terrors and some that are great, the ones that were great were in tanks with a heavy rock load.
The six line in this photo was a model citizen and loved having corals like mushrooms, leathers, hammers/torches/frogspawns, even the chilli he would swim throughout when it was fully extended.
942DBC8F-30A5-4E96-B96E-AF0243E76D6D.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all to do with rockwork IME. I have had some that are terrors and some that are great, the ones that were great were in tanks with a heavy rock load.
The six line in this photo was a model citizen and loved having corals like mushrooms, leathers, hammers/torches/frogspawns, even the chilli he would swim throughout when it was fully extended.
I think you've seen FTS of my tank so I think you're correct. I have a ton of caves, tunnels, crevices and places to explore. Whenever I see my sixline he's always pulling patrol duty somewhere unexpected.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you've seen FTS of my tank so I think you're correct. I have a ton of caves, tunnels, crevices and places to explore. Whenever I see my sixline he's always pulling patrol duty somewhere unexpected.
Yeah, I always go heavier on rocks so I can have the coral placement and hiding spots.
Starcki damsel and maybe 20210207_182056.jpg Watanabe or Japanese swallowtail angel. I would add 3-5 lyretails. Maybe a purple tile.
definitely agree on the Swallowtail, although where’s the love for the melanospilos? I personally prefer the melanospilos due to the less colour patterning on them.
The purple tile is also a good recommendation, maybe the OP could even add a trio or pair if they got lucky and found some.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I always go heavier on rocks so I can have the coral placement and hiding spots.

definitely agree on the Swallowtail, although where’s the love for the melanospilos? I personally prefer the melanospilos due to the less colour patterning on them.
The purple tile is also a good recommendation, maybe the OP could even add a trio or pair if they got lucky and found some.
I think any of the Geni angels that develop nice streamers would look great.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any of the Geni angels that develop nice streamers would look great.
Totally!
I’d love to try get streamers growing on my Genicanthus however there’s a 50/50 debate on whether it’ll fully revert or remain in a state where it’s almost like a submale.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally!
I’d love to try get streamers growing on my Genicanthus however there’s a 50/50 debate on whether it’ll fully revert or remain in a state where it’s almost like a submale.
I'm hoping my Watanabe will as she is a bit dominant over my Bellus.

billandwende

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one persons opinion so take from it what you wish.

I'd either change the Anthias to a minimum of 5 or just delete this. I say 5 as they will do better in larger numbers as aggression gets more disbursed. One Anthias will almost certainly be very shy, so almost a ghost fish, using space for very little enjoyment. Also the constant feeding is a chore. You can do better with less work. I had 7 at one time and loved them. Then at year 3 they died one then two then three then.. you get it. I have none now and will not be replacing.

I love a foxface but love a rabbitfish more. They (rabbits) can change color very quickly and are a very fun fish to watch. Try a few videos to see what I mean. Foxface has way better colors but no (significant) changes. It kinda depends on what the viewer likes.

Why no love for Blennies?

You have missed on any mention of Butterfly's. You'll need at least one in my opinion. Heniochus will grow a very impressive dorsal fin. Mine gets a 2 to 5 inch streamer (very cool looking) then it falls off. It's arch enemy is the Copperband butterfly. They spend the day swapping territories. I'd replace either of these at a moments notice if one were to die. I love them both. Another great butterfly is Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish. I don't have one but want one in my display. The last one I ordered didn't make it through shipping. I'll try again.

As far as Bangai Cardinals go, I'd suggest a more is better approach. I have 3 (started wit 5) and the are a hoot to watch. one female and 2 males. They swap constantly, she's a player. LOL Because you can not be sure of sex untill you have them I suggest 4 or 5 and let nature sort it out. You'll end up with the correct amount in the end.

NO blennies? Seriously? NONE? This is an oversight like having a house built with no walls. Just pick one. You MUST have a blennie. If anyone disagrees with this. Well they are wrong. You need one period. (thank me later)

As far as the Dwarf Angelfish Think long term. I used to research so much that in the end I'd not get what I wanted. (I have 1 blue tang and wanted 2 (the experst said 1 per tank) I see many people with several together. I wanted several Rabbitfish (but have 1). The reality is When I added my Dwarf angels I went for broke. I added what I wanted and not what the "experts" said. I added 4 at once 1 coral beauty, 1 lemon peel, one (black) Nior, and one Flame. After a few days, or perhaps weeks, they are all fine with each other. Get all the dwarfs you want. Just do it at the same time. I have no full size angels yet. They are on my list to add, but can be added at any time.

You should consider a Blennie. And a few gobies as well.

Again. This is just my point of view. Except everyone says you need a blennie. I took a poll. 99.9 % said a blennie is a must (Poll has a margin error of + - 99.9%) I only asked myself.

I wish you the best, Bill

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one persons opinion so take from it what you wish.

I'd either change the Anthias to a minimum of 5 or just delete this. I say 5 as they will do better in larger numbers as aggression gets more disbursed. One Anthias will almost certainly be very shy, so almost a ghost fish, using space for very little enjoyment. Also the constant feeding is a chore. You can do better with less work. I had 7 at one time and loved them. Then at year 3 they died one then two then three then.. you get it. I have none now and will not be replacing.

I love a foxface but love a rabbitfish more. They (rabbits) can change color very quickly and are a very fun fish to watch. Try a few videos to see what I mean. Foxface has way better colors but no (significant) changes. It kinda depends on what the viewer likes.

Why no love for Blennies?

You have missed on any mention of Butterfly's. You'll need at least one in my opinion. Heniochus will grow a very impressive dorsal fin. Mine gets a 2 to 5 inch streamer (very cool looking) then it falls off. It's arch enemy is the Copperband butterfly. They spend the day swapping territories. I'd replace either of these at a moments notice if one were to die. I love them both. Another great butterfly is Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish. I don't have one but want one in my display. The last one I ordered didn't make it through shipping. I'll try again.

As far as Bangai Cardinals go, I'd suggest a more is better approach. I have 3 (started wit 5) and the are a hoot to watch. one female and 2 males. They swap constantly, she's a player. LOL Because you can not be sure of sex untill you have them I suggest 4 or 5 and let nature sort it out. You'll end up with the correct amount in the end.

NO blennies? Seriously? NONE? This is an oversight like having a house built with no walls. Just pick one. You MUST have a blennie. If anyone disagrees with this. Well they are wrong. You need one period. (thank me later)

As far as the Dwarf Angelfish Think long term. I used to research so much that in the end I'd not get what I wanted. (I have 1 blue tang and wanted 2 (the experst said 1 per tank) I see many people with several together. I wanted several Rabbitfish (but have 1). The reality is When I added my Dwarf angels I went for broke. I added what I wanted and not what the "experts" said. I added 4 at once 1 coral beauty, 1 lemon peel, one (black) Nior, and one Flame. After a few days, or perhaps weeks, they are all fine with each other. Get all the dwarfs you want. Just do it at the same time. I have no full size angels yet. They are on my list to add, but can be added at any time.

You should consider a Blennie. And a few gobies as well.

Again. This is just my point of view. Except everyone says you need a blennie. I took a poll. 99.9 % said a blennie is a must (Poll has a margin error of + - 99.9%) I only asked myself.

I wish you the best, Bill
I totally agree on the butterflies!
However the foxface not having a significant colour change?
Let me prove you wrong :)
This is my magnificent when sleeping or stressed.
D84F50F9-8EBC-4D14-B00B-F24CF14E5E6B.jpeg

And here he is when he’s out and about on the prowl for food or to disperse aggression.
37940321-2B81-490F-B1E8-2549C3321CDC.jpeg

The photos are different as I haven’t gotten any recent photos of him in the sleeping phase so he is about 3-4 inches bigger as in the first photo he was about 2-2.5 inches and he’s now pushing 6.

OP
OP
Juan4265

Juan4265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good list, more tangs please, watch fowlr only lasts about a week LOL
I was thinking of adding a Tomini Tang. I already have a Yellow Tang and Blue Tang in the old tank so maybe I could add it along with the other tangs to reduce aggression.

Back