OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take the same energy to heat up the water to a certain temperature since both these heaters are nearly 100% efficient resistive heat. If the one draws more wattage it will be off longer on average given the same water temperature setting.
Brian - while I agree about taking the same energy to reach a certain temp, my BRS with Inbird would over heat by sometimes a 1.5 degrees. The Helio is keeping temps stable at 78 degrees and not over heating Past that point.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hydrored I'm sorry to hear that the length of the cord from the element to the controller isn't long enough. I can definitely see why a longer cord would be required if you have a fixed control board/panel set up for longer aquariums. I can check if we can get you longer cords for the higher wattage elements. If are willingly to use the current cords, we can send out new ones with longer cords once they come in free of charge. BTW, how long would you require the cord length to fit your set up?

thanks,
IM Team

Thank you! I’ll send you a PM. Any plans for longer cords for the 700-1000 watt setups? I feel like you guys are limiting your market for larger tanks. Honestly they really need to include the cord lengths in the spec sheet and I would’ve steered clear. I’ll hang on to it and see how it goes with you guys

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew when you lazily posted 2 links and no receipts or quotes from the article that it would be a fools errand to read. But i did it anyway and not one time did it mention how much the water changes in one minute in either article you sent me. (The second was rather lengthy so thanks for wasting my time)

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul
Sorry you didn't learn anything from reading those articles. They are advanced topics. Maybe pictures are easier?

Here are two photos from a random dive I pulled up on my Suunto DM5 app. This dive was May 2017 in Roatan. In case the material is too difficult I'll summarize: at 17 minutes and a depth of 7.4m the temp was 29c. One minute later at a depth of 8m the temp was 30c. In case your not familiar with metric, that's a change of 1.8f in one minute. Again, how's that shoe taste?
PXL_20210213_034527916.jpg PXL_20210213_034452538.jpg

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you didn't learn anything from reading those articles. They are advanced topics. Maybe pictures are easier?

Here are two photos from a random dive I pulled up on my Suunto DM5 app. This dive was May 2017 in Roatan. In case the material is too difficult I'll summarize: at 17 minutes and a depth of 7.4m the temp was 29c. One minute later at a depth of 8m the temp was 30c. In case your not familiar with metric, that's a change of 1.8f in one minute. Again, how's that shoe taste?
I pulled this out of the first article: “When there are abrupt changes in temperature, these are known as thermoclines, which results from layers of consistently warmer water overlying the cooler (more dense) waters. On most outer reefs, the upper 10-30 m of the water column are usually the same temperature with no thermoclines present until deeper depths, a reflection of the forces (waves, wind, currents) that thoroughly mix the upper water column. At some depth though, the temperature will either gradually cool or there will be a sharp thermocline.”

I heard of the term thermocline before and experienced it even before that just from snorkeling in warm locations with only a baiting suit. Every so often the temp would drop or go up, uncomfortably too. It actually explains this in what I quoted from the article you provided. Thank you:)

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled this out of the first article: “When there are abrupt changes in temperature, these are known as thermoclines, which results from layers of consistently warmer water overlying the cooler (more dense) waters. On most outer reefs, the upper 10-30 m of the water column are usually the same temperature with no thermoclines present until deeper depths, a reflection of the forces (waves, wind, currents) that thoroughly mix the upper water column. At some depth though, the temperature will either gradually cool or there will be a sharp thermocline.”

I heard of the term thermocline before and experienced it even before that just from snorkeling in warm locations with only a baiting suit. Every so often the temp would drop or go up, uncomfortably too. It actually explains this in what I quoted from the article you provided. Thank you:)
Flexin - are you a marine biologist?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're welcome! Yup, it can be quite cold! Ive felt them snorkeling too. Definitely gives you the goosebumps when the water is normally low to mid 80s!

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Again, you still refuse to show me anything from that article that proves the water changes a degree in one minute. Dont put words in my mouth i found the article very interesting.

As for your "proof" here. You and i both know the water is different temps at different depths. So stop playing games and give me two Temps one minute apart from the same depth. There are pockets in the water levels where the temps are different because the current is stronger, you probably went and found a reading from just below and above that depth. You were also in a different horizontal location from one minute to the other. Cmon maaaaan you call that scientific evidence. Thats malarkey. Either way, temp readings from two different depths proves nothing except you are desperate for any kind of win here.

You can ACT like you won all you want, doesnt change the fact you didnt prove your point with those articles. Its not my job to find your receipts. Then i read the article and there is nothing about minute to minute changes in temp and you still cant give me a quote saying it.

Again, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Come at me again with no receipts for a 3rd time i dare you, ill be happy to tear you up for the 3rd time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we possibly move the discussion about temp variance in the ocean to another thread. This one is about the helio heaters and seems to be getting hi-jacked
Thank you.

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Innovative Marine
Regarding the length of the cable, I had to put my controller above the sump in a completely different cabinet section. I have all my equipment on a controller board but I had to hang the controller next cabinet over on the side. With the digital display set back in the controller I have to poke my head in the cabinet to even see it. Power cord on my BRS heater is 72” according to website. Larger tanks need the distance.

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’ll send you a PM. Any plans for longer cords for the 700-1000 watt setups? I feel like you guys are limiting your market for larger tanks. Honestly they really need to include the cord lengths in the spec sheet and I would’ve steered clear. I’ll hang on to it and see how it goes with you guys

@Innovative Marine
Regarding the length of the cable, I had to put my controller above the sump in a completely different cabinet section. I have all my equipment on a controller board but I had to hang the controller next cabinet over on the side. With the digital display set back in the controller I have to poke my head in the cabinet to even see it. Power cord on my BRS heater is 72” according to website. Larger tanks need the distance.
@Innovative Marine
I want to echo both of these comments. I just bought the helio and it is amazing, but I had to relegate the controller to my cabinet instead of with the rest of my electronics due to the cord length. I would love to see longer cable lengths, or possibly extension cables be offered.

On the same note, I want to suggest the ability to split 1 cable from the controller to 2 heaters, allowing for up to 4 heaters from a single controller.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now that I looked up the price of these heaters, I definitely am curious about how long they last. $200 for a 10-25 gallon system heater (and goes up) seems a bit of a stretch to be honest. The reality also being the ocean is not a steady temp, so struggling to see how this is worth it unless they last for 20 years or more....
And zero controller connectivity options for that kind of $$$

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Innovative Marine
I want to echo both of these comments. I just bought the helio and it is amazing, but I had to relegate the controller to my cabinet instead of with the rest of my electronics due to the cord length. I would love to see longer cable lengths, or possibly extension cables be offered.

On the same note, I want to suggest the ability to split 1 cable from the controller to 2 heaters, allowing for up to 4 heaters from a single controller.
I agree, for the same reason I will not buy this either, no reason you shouldn't be able to extend it to say ten feet even. Also for the money they are asking it should meet today's connectivity standards and offer WiFi and remote alerts. Who can hear an audible alarm when you're not at home? For $50 the lowly inkbird provides this feature.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, for the same reason I will not buy this either, no reason you shouldn't be able to extend it to say ten feet even. Also for the money they are asking it should meet today's connectivity standards and offer WiFi and remote alerts. Who can hear an audible alarm when you're not at home? For $50 the lowly inkbird provides this feature.
Very happy with this thread for providing valuable info about the product so that everyone can make their own determination about meeting needs.

Also hoping that Innovative Marine takes the feedback in this thread and improves their product. That’s the sign of a great company.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with this thread for providing valuable info about the product so that everyone can make their own determination about meeting needs.

Also hoping that Innovative Marine takes the feedback in this thread and improves their product. That’s the sign of a great company.
Agreed it looks like a good start, just a few important things left to solve.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems with this with no water movement, with pumps off in feed mode?
What is calibrated during calibration, sounds like there are up to 3 temperature sensors, main and 1 in each heater?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems with this with no water movement, with pumps off in feed mode?
What is calibrated during calibration, sounds like there are up to 3 temperature sensors, main and 1 in each heater?
I have not had any problems with water movement ONCE I found the optimal places to put sensors and heaters in sump. Did take me a couple of times to replace after alert went off. I have turned the pumps off for feeding and maintenance since without any issues.

I haven’t done any calibration on the heaters - they match what’s on my Apex. There is mode to calibrate the sensor. You can increase/decrease calibration by 0.1 degree F. Temp Set Range is +/- 9 degree F.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And zero controller connectivity options for that kind of $$$
Agree. I’m all about spending money on the right equipment, but it needs to make sense. I could buy two new heaters (primary and backup) every year for many many years and still not amount to the cost of a comparable IM heater. And I’m an IM fan, have their 15 gallon reservoir and love it. But can’t get on board with their heaters.

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Innovative Marine
@kkircher I've already submitted a request for either longer length cords on the larger wattage elements or possibly an extension cord as as add on. I will wait to see what R&D says and will get with you. Thank you..

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back