Finally a Heater that Keeps Temps Stable

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You beat me to it. I’m not sure how Inkbird became the go to controller. The Bayite is about the same price for the two channel 15A model.

.1° resolution vs 1° On the InkBird and the Bayite is frankly better quality. The only thing that could be better is the temp probe, it’s stainless and will rust/leak after while. That’s easily “fixed” y either covering it in silicone or spending a few dollars to by a better probe.

My experience over the last year has been the Bayite holds calibration better than Inkbird as well. I check the calibration of both my Apex and Bayite once a week using a Hanna temp check. I frequently have to calibrate my Apex but seldom have to calibrate the Bayite, maybe once every six weeks or so I adjust the Bayite.

With the 15A model I run two 100W BRS heaters on the heater channel and two fans on the chiller channel with no problem. I never have the heater and fans fighting one another.

I’ll never own another Inkbird.

Ditto! I see so many recomending inkbird and I try to correct when I can lol. The BayIte is same price point and so much better. Perfectly calibrated out of box, all the alarms, holds calibration.

Yes the downside the keeps new people away is having to sillicone the metal probe.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that the Helio heater has a PTC smart controller fitted with a titanium remote temperature sensor.

Anyone know how titanium reacts with saltwater?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that the Helio heater has a PTC smart controller fitted with a titanium remote temperature sensor.

Anyone know how titanium reacts with saltwater?
I believe titanium doesn't corrode for all practical purposes and in reality although it may technically be possible. I run a titanium heater, as do many others, and they don't corrode.

Research on titanium in seawater shows this as well.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe titanium doesn't corrode for all practical purposes and in reality although it may technically be possible. I run a titanium heater, as do many others, and they don't corrode.

Research on titanium in seawater shows this as well.
Thank you!

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the 1000w version (2x500s). I am actually experiencing some issues with calibration. I am trying to set mine at 78. It says my tank is currently 78 which it really is 77.6 Because of my ocd, I calibrate it to -.4 but the controller still says 78. If I go to -.7 degrees on calibration then suddenly it changes off to 77.3. The heaters will kick on. It almost feels like the controller is stuck on 78. I power off and on and sometimes it will show the accurate temp and other times it just shows 78. Not giving me piece of mind that it works.

Another frustrating thing, I have the two heaters in my sump in a high flow area, they are mounted next to each other as the manual suggests. One keeps turning off and giving the error for out of water or low water movement around it. Although I appreciate the safeguard, I think since only one is failing it may be defective. Just frustrating for such a high priced item. So far my experience is not great.

Someone asked about chord length, it is short. I had to put the controller in a completely different spot then my ink bird because the cable was at least a foot maybe 2 shorter then the BRS heaters.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with error around low water movement. Innovative Marine advised that I unplug the electric and unplug the heater from the controller. Reattach the heating unit to the controller securely and plug back in. No problems after that (going on 2 weeks now).

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. If this lasts, it's probably a money saver compared With the number of Eheim 300w I've burned through! Currently use finnex titanium. I'll never go back to coils.

I just setup a QT with a cobalt and the stupid thermostat is broken and it stuck on. Thankfully nothing in it. @#$& heaters nuke more tanks.....
Really how many eheims have you gone through ? I have 3 eheim heaters. A 150 200 and 300w in three tabks. And theyre very accurate and work well in my experience anyway

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really how many eheims have you gone through ? I have 3 eheim heaters. A 150 200 and 300w in three tabks. And theyre very accurate and work well in my experience anyway
In the last 6 years I've had 5 leak and Two failed and were replaced under warranty. I inspect them regularly and if there is any moisture inside, they come out of the tank even if still working. . I finally gave up on glass heaters with thermostats because just not worth the risk. My finnex titanium have been incredible the last two years.

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with error around low water movement. Innovative Marine advised that I unplug the electric and unplug the heater from the controller. Reattach the heating unit to the controller securely and plug back in. No problems after that (going on 2 weeks now).
Yup I spoke to support yesterday and they had me do that. I sent them a video of how I can’t calibrate correctly and they said that was how it works. You can’t calibrate in tenths unless calibrating over 1 degree. Didn’t make sense to me but it has been running stable for a day now.

I complained about the short cords which they said was 5 feet but have numerous complaints. He was going to see about possibilities of producing extensions down the line.

I did learn that if you have a double heating element it will only use 2 if needed. It will try and heat with just 1 element reducing energy consumption.
So far it has been only fluctuating about .4 of a degree in my 240 gallons of water volume.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, i really want this! I was secretly hoping they were not soo great so i didnt have to spend the money

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was using Colbalt heaters. One is my 32g system and the 300W with two wands in my 90g system (started one year after the 32). Between year 2-3 they each failed and locked on. The replacement on the 32g did it again 2-3 after installed. Prior to this, they did maintain stable temps, so that was great...
This is a bummer to hear. I really liked the design of the Cobalts and I'm running 2x 200w wands in my 75g and now that I have them dialed in with my Control4 they seem to hold the temp pretty stable between 78.5 and 79. Prior to the use of the controller the Cobalt thermostat/dial really sucked holding a stable temp and trying to control them individually was near impossible without the controller.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not attempting to hijack this thread at all!
I have had great success with these titanium heaters and Inkbird combo. I run two 300w in every tank.

My tanks that are in interior conditioned space run a flat line temp history. My tank in the uninsulated basement with propane wall heater varies by 1 - 1.5 degrees.

1613017960631.png

That being said, I'm a big believer in titanium heaters, and there's no reason in today's technology to still be using mechanical strip thermostats or mechanical contacts. That's 1940s garbage.

Here's the variation I get when my refugium lights and UV shut off at dawn. The rest of the day looks like a flatline.

Screenshot_20210210-233630.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, i really want this! I was secretly hoping they were not soo great so i didnt have to spend the money
Understand that thought.

So far so good. Stable temps and lower energy usage.

B7E23401-7F6F-4C98-975C-C3D8CFF9E8B3.png

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bummer to hear. I really liked the design of the Cobalts and I'm running 2x 200w wands in my 75g and now that I have them dialed in with my Control4 they seem to hold the temp pretty stable between 78.5 and 79. Prior to the use of the controller the Cobalt thermostat/dial really sucked holding a stable temp and trying to control them individually was near impossible without the controller.
I liked the design of the cobalt being flat with more surface area to heat. And this was a few years ago. I had a bunch of people say all heaters fail and because of that why they went with cheaper options. And for stable temps within 2 degrees, the ocean is not that stable, so... But, I had fire and vigor at that time, “not these heaters”, “you obviously did not spend enough”, mine are way more expensive than what you are using and I won’t have a prob... oh dang it failed, lol. So here we are again, but I’m on a different side of the discussion :). I have titanium ones now. I may try that combo just mentioned with the ink bird, I sent one of those to my sister and she has not had any problems.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not attempting to hijack this thread at all!
I have had great success with these titanium heaters and Inkbird combo. I run two 300w in every tank.

My tanks that are in interior conditioned space run a flat line temp history. My tank in the uninsulated basement with propane wall heater varies by 1 - 1.5 degrees.

1613017960631.png

That being said, I'm a big believer in titanium heaters, and there's no reason in today's technology to still be using mechanical strip thermostats or mechanical contacts. That's 1940s garbage.

Here's the variation I get when my refugium lights and UV shut off at dawn. The rest of the day looks like a flatline.

Screenshot_20210210-233630.png
Playing Russian roulette putting any kind of Amazon China product in your tank, I had a Amazon vivosun power head I used to mixed up new saltwater and didn’t realize the rotor started to rust until I lost all my acro colonies in my tank...lesson learned

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing Russian roulette putting any kind of Amazon China product in your tank, I had a Amazon vivosun power head I used to mixed up new saltwater and didn’t realize the rotor started to rust until I lost all my acro colonies in my tank...lesson learned
These are the valuable pieces of advice that keep me coming back to R2R!

Thank you Ling_Thing!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am being completely honest most of my tank came from a Top Fin 20g starter kit. Came with filter, heater, thermometer, tank, light/lid, etc. I have adapted it to work for me with lighting and such but the 100W heater is EXCELLENT. Filter works great as well. Which sort of surprised me. But things are going great.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back