OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got the tank up and running with 70 gallons of water between the tank and the sump. I added 50 pounds of real reef rock live rock and 40 pounds of Carib sea agra live sand. So I started the Dr. Tim's cycling with 280 drops of ammonium chloride the first day (Thursday). The second day I tested pH 8.1, ammonia - trace, and nitrites 0. Added another 280 drops of ammonium chloride the third day. On the 4th day I tested pH 8.2, ammonia - 0.25ppm, nitrite - 0, the 5th day I tested pH 8.2, ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0.

I have never shown nitrites and only small amounts of ammonia that went away by the next day. I'm following Dr. Tim's instructions to the letter, so I'll be adding another 280 drops of ammonium chloride today. If I continue to test 0 on my ammonia and nitrites, should I consider my tank ready for fish on day 9 as Dr. Tim says? I assume so, but I never went through a nitrite cycle so I wanted to make sure.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finished with the ammonium chloride part of the Dr. Tim's cycle and I have pH 8.2, ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0, and nitrates 10ppm. I have another day of testing until the program says I can add fish. Should I try to raise my ammonia to 2ppm to see if it cycles in a day before adding fish once I finish my Dr. Tim's cycle, or is it cycled like I think it is? I'll post some pics of it with the sand. It's really looking great. Thanks to everyone for all the help, encouragement, and feedback!

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCF0153.JPG

DSCF0155.JPG

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start!
How are you planning on keeping the hungry hungry horsies fed? My understanding is that they prefer live food and really only thrive with it.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start!
How are you planning on keeping the hungry hungry horsies fed? My understanding is that they prefer live food and really only thrive with it.
They have been trained to high-quality frozen Mysis shrimp and I plan on adding amphipods as supplemental feeding. They do eat 3 times a day, so I have to stay on top of feeding. If you are interested in seahorses, there are some great articles here on the forum!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking real good. I will be starting my 2 tank build in a couple of months. The main display will be around 100 gal. rectangular and the second will be a 50 gal corner like yours for some ponies and pipes so will be following your build very closely. Question for you since you are in the build process...I am thinking of making th corner into an All In One so I don’t need a second sump, wondering if you think there would be enough room to do that?

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start!
I'm getting horses that have been trained to accept frozen mysis. I'll supplement with amphipods. I don't think I could do live mysis shrimp very easily, but I"m not sure.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking real good. I will be starting my 2 tank build in a couple of months. The main display will be around 100 gal. rectangular and the second will be a 50 gal corner like yours for some ponies and pipes so will be following your build very closely. Question for you since you are in the build process...I am thinking of making th corner into an All In One so I don’t need a second sump, wondering if you think there would be enough room to do that?
An all-in-one would be nice, but I don't think it would leave much room. I looked into all-in-ones and we have an all-in-one nano and it's so much trouble. I know that a sump is a big expense, but I bit the bullet on it and decided to go with the sump instead of an all-in-one. I found great sumps at Bashsea that weren't horribly expensive and were relatively easy to set up. Good luck! I will be following your build when you get it started too!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An all-in-one would be nice, but I don't think it would leave much room. I looked into all-in-ones and we have an all-in-one nano and it's so much trouble. I know that a sump is a big expense, but I bit the bullet on it and decided to go with the sump instead of an all-in-one. I found great sumps at Bashsea that weren't horribly expensive and were relatively easy to set up. Good luck! I will be following your build when you get it started too!
Thanks for the reply. It’s not so much the expense because I am going to DIY the main tank sump. It’s more of the space and weight. I also don’t want to run 2 tanks off the same sump, difficult to balance and problems in one tank are suddenly in both. Will continue planning and see what happens.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi #Cassi, checking in on your build thread, how’s it going? Got any new pictures, ponies yet? My plans have changed a bit, two tanks are a touch to long so am now thinking one long tank with a glass divider. The planning goes on.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. I still haven't gotten my seahorses yet. We've been having some personal problems that have prevented me getting them but I have a diver friend sending a pair soon and then I'm going to buy my pair from Seahorse Savvy by January and start stocking my tank then. I'll update my tank thread as soon as something exciting happens. Thank you all for checking on me.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi #Cassi, checking in on your build thread, how’s it going? Got any new pictures, ponies yet? My plans have changed a bit, two tanks are a touch to long so am now thinking one long tank with a glass divider. The planning goes on.
Hi! I haven't got the ponies yet. Unfortunately, some personal issues came up that interfered with the timing, but I am expecting some soon from a diver friend in California. I'll upload pics as soon as I get them. Then I'm getting a second pair of Northern h. erectus from Seahorse Savvy no later than January as long as weather permits.

I have a divided tank and I love it. It's just a 20 gallon (2 10 gal sides), but it is really cool. I think you'll like it. Planning does seem to take forever doesn't it? I finally have my tank up and running but I still feel like it's not done. I don't think we ever get done with our builds.
Cassi

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I haven't got the ponies yet. Unfortunately, some personal issues came up that interfered with the timing, but I am expecting some soon from a diver friend in California. I'll upload pics as soon as I get them. Then I'm getting a second pair of Northern h. erectus from Seahorse Savvy no later than January as long as weather permits.

I have a divided tank and I love it. It's just a 20 gallon (2 10 gal sides), but it is really cool. I think you'll like it. Planning does seem to take forever doesn't it? I finally have my tank up and running but I still feel like it's not done. I don't think we ever get done with our builds.
Cassi
Thanks for the update Cassi. Have been getting some interference on my bud getting started, let’s just say the mechanic, the car salesman, the appliance dealer and several others have slowed me down recently, that’s life.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally ordered my Northern h. erectus pair from Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy but due to Christmas, I'm not sure when they'll ship them. I ordered them yesterday, so I was hoping to have them today, but they haven't shipped yet. I can't wait to get them! I can't believe after this year-long project to get ready for them they are on the way! I'll upload lots of pics when I do get them. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I don't have to wait until after the holidays. But, whatever is best for the ponies works for me.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear Cassi, it’s been a long wait so I hope you get your ponies for Christmas. Which type did you order, the northern, saddle backs or ???

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear Cassi, it’s been a long wait so I hope you get your ponies for Christmas. Which type did you order, the northern, saddle backs or ???
I ordered the northern h. erectus...a male and female pair. I hope I get them before Christmas too, but if not I'll have them by the beginning of the year. My tank is in beautiful shape both parameter wise and to look at. It took what seems like forever to get it ready, but now I'm there. I'm glad I took my time and did it the right way. Thanks again for all of the help, advice, and encouragement, everyone! I wouldn't have known where to begin without R2R!

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the northern h. erectus...a male and female pair. I hope I get them before Christmas too, but if not I'll have them by the beginning of the year. My tank is in beautiful shape both parameter wise and to look at. It took what seems like forever to get it ready, but now I'm there. I'm glad I took my time and did it the right way. Thanks again for all of the help, advice, and encouragement, everyone! I wouldn't have known where to begin without R2R!

Wow! I'm excited to see this.

Are you gonna throw any gorgs in there or branchlike things?

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I'm excited to see this.

Are you gonna throw any gorgs in there or branchlike things?
Yes, I am going to get some gorgs and some branching sponges soon, but for now I have some really tall artificial plants and plastic chains for hitching posts. The first step in my budget was to get the ponies. Hopefully next month I'll start with gorgs and work from there. I hope someday to have a tank as beautiful as the ones I see on here.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've ordered the ponies and they'll be here in a couple of weeks (because of the holiday shipping causing delays). Here's a pic of my tank as it is today. I have a very passive little clown (he's never been aggressive to any other fish - and I can move him if I need to. I put him in during an emergency situation that is now resolved.) and I have a cute little firefish in the tank so far. I think it looks pretty good.

Attachments

• 122020 tank up.jpg
    122020 tank up.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 65

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've ordered the ponies and they'll be here in a couple of weeks (because of the holiday shipping causing delays). Here's a pic of my tank as it is today. I have a very passive little clown (he's never been aggressive to any other fish - and I can move him if I need to. I put him in during an emergency situation that is now resolved.) and I have a cute little firefish in the tank so far. I think it looks pretty good.
Those glowing chains are actually super cool looking :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back