OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been a great read. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm glad to see your progress!
Thank you. I like to do my build threads like this to maybe share ideas and it also helps me go back and look when things were done, or when something was added to the tank. Especially when some things were done years ago. :) Thanks for reading and hope you will tag along for the ride.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, first serious aquascaping attempt. I used all but one large rock that I had. I will wait for the water to clear again and stare at it for a while to see if maybe I should make changes. Not too bad for about an hour of tinkering. I am not one to obsess over aquascaping - and maybe that shows. LOL!

1589052258141.png

thenissantech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I like to do my build threads like this to maybe share ideas and it also helps me go back and look when things were done, or when something was added to the tank. Especially when some things were done years ago. :) Thanks for reading and hope you will tag along for the ride.

Yes, I am gonna follow along. I always enjoy looking back after I change my plans and trying to figure out what i was thinking. This is definitely a great way to do it. The rockscape looks great too.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, first serious aquascaping attempt. I used all but one large rock that I had. I will wait for the water to clear again and stare at it for a while to see if maybe I should make changes. Not too bad for about an hour of tinkering. I am not one to obsess over aquascaping - and maybe that shows. LOL!

1589052258141.png
I don’t hate the aquascape but I personally do not like it it’s all the same height maybe that’s why

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was worse. What you can't see in the pics is that the SeaSwirl returns on both sides are just above the rocks on both sides. I can't go higher on either side, so it would have to be lower. I had to lower the returns because they were just underneath the waterline and were sucking air on occasion. The scape is not glued together or set in stone. I spent like an hour on it.

Flatter before ....

1589056634290.png

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to throw a little light on the tank to see the rock better. This is just with the end mounted Kessils on. Still have a little work to do to get the Powermodule running. No hurry since I am going to let the tank run a while without lights.

1589166997343.png

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. So long as the fishes have enough space and a few caves & arches to swim through and under, I am good. I also do change things up once in a while and that is why I don't usually cement rocks together.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations fin on retirement and getting the tank wet.
Looks very nice but the sump is amazing! Big coin on return pumps.

Now let’s get some movement

xLimitlessJR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin - amazing build! I wish I had your patience. I planned to do a super slow build and ended up drilling, plumbing and getting wet in 3 days, haha (much smaller system though).

keep up the great work!

also did you get the bean animal dialed in?

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per Rev’s blanket build thread update request...

After finally getting water in the tank and getting it cycled, I was waiting a feW months to start stocking. And it was a fortunate thing for me that I had waited.

On the morning of August 28th, Hurricane Laura roared through our town with sustained 130mph winds. We were in the northeast quadrant of the storm where the strongest winds and tornadoes are most prevalent. It left the town of Lake Charles, LA in shambles. The entire power grid, to include all nine electrical distribution systems bringing power to our town were destroyed. All of our water treatment plants destroyed. Every structure in town was damaged, many completely destroyed. A month later and many still do not have power restored. My power was out for 21 days. Fortunately, my home was spared major damage (only $37,000 worth) and we are now back in our house. We still do not have phone, internet or cable TV.

So, after sitting for several weeks without power, this tank was drained and cleaned. I have contemplated just getting out of the hobby, but I have too much time and money invested in this now to give in. I am also now retired and will need the hobby to occupy my time. I will get this going again, but still many things to do to my house.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read the update and I am sorry there has been a major setback. We are back at the beginning ...

F06A4EC9-FB57-4844-A2E4-457742AEEAD7.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per Rev’s blanket build thread update request...

After finally getting water in the tank and getting it cycled, I was waiting a feW months to start stocking. And it was a fortunate thing for me that I had waited.

On the morning of August 28th, Hurricane Laura roared through our town with sustained 130mph winds. We were in the northeast quadrant of the storm where the strongest winds and tornadoes are most prevalent. It left the town of Lake Charles, LA in shambles. The entire power grid, to include all nine electrical distribution systems bringing power to our town were destroyed. All of our water treatment plants destroyed. Every structure in town was damaged, many completely destroyed. A month later and many still do not have power restored. My power was out for 21 days. Fortunately, my home was spared major damage (only $37,000 worth) and we are now back in our house. We still do not have phone, internet or cable TV.

So, after sitting for several weeks without power, this tank was drained and cleaned. I have contemplated just getting out of the hobby, but I have too much time and money invested in this now to give in. I am also now retired and will need the hobby to occupy my time. I will get this going again, but still many things to do to my house.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read the update and I am sorry there has been a major setback. We are back at the beginning ...

F06A4EC9-FB57-4844-A2E4-457742AEEAD7.jpeg

I sat this side of the pond and was worried to near death for you and yours and the state in general, it needs to be a rebirth. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat this side of the pond and was worried to near death for you and yours and the state in general, it needs to be a rebirth. :)
There will be. Not our first time for this, just our worst. I will end up with some upgrades at my house and the town will recover. It will just take time, patience and a lot of hard work.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back