Fireworm Predators

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

So this past weekend I cleaned out the back compartments of my 45 AIO. Took out the media, live rock, sponge and rinsed in tank water and siphoned out the debris and gunk from a few months of build up. Much to my chagrin at the bottom of the bucket I find about 2in worm. The media bag containing some live rock rubble had about three to five smaller versions of this worm- red with numerous bristles. Not thinking I proceeded to swish the bag around in my hand to clean it off. Lucky for me I think the bag and rock protected me from the worst of it. Sharp pains, burning in my hand, tingling and numbness but from what I’ve read could have been considerably worse.

So I removed as many as I could from the media but I’m sure there are some left in the tank. Any recommendations on a natural predator that would eat fireworms? As mentioned it’s a 45 gallon tank, currently inhabitants are only two blue sapphire, blue velvet, and Tracey’s damsels.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6line or another wrasse may do it. Arrow crabs also can hunt bristle worms. Unfortunately no real good sure fire solutions.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres Wrasses are reported to (ie Yellow, Christmas, Red Lined) and they would be better tank mates than a 6 line.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog, What Thalasoma were you thinking in a 45gal?

They are kool fish but get big and generally mean, My friend is qt'ing a Pinkface, I thought that's among the smallest nicest Thalasoma. Even that is a big fish, very active, I wouldn't put it in a 45 or even my 75.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog, What Thalasoma were you thinking in a 45gal?

They are kool fish but get big and generally mean, My friend is qt'ing a Pinkface, I thought that's among the smallest nicest Thalasoma. Even that is a big fish, very active, I wouldn't put it in a 45 or even my 75.
I was thinking exactly that, juvenile pinkface. I had one for awhile in my 40b that cleaned up a nasty fireworm problem I had. He ended up jumping though :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally arrow crabs will eat worms especially bristleworms

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would a Halichoeres Wrasse do with the current damsel inhabitants? I purchased this tank used about a year ago and they came with the tank. Was planning on rehoming eventually but never got around to it. Should I remove the damsels or would they be alright with a wrasse?

Generally arrow crabs will eat worms especially bristleworms
I like adding different inverts and life to the tank, but I also read Arrow crabs may eat the CUC?

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on heading to the store sometime this week so I will check out the options. What are your thoughts on the damsels? Can they stay or should they go?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
traceys and sapphire damsels should be fairly peaceful, but the blue velvet is likely problematic. is that the one that's aggressive?

traceys are hard to find so i'd keep those for sure. if the sapphires are aggressive it's likely because they're a pair, so you could return one. they reportedly eat some bristleworm type characters so i'd keep at least one

i doubt a halichoeres wrasse would be bothered by those damsels, the blue velvet maybe.. but seems halichoeres are pretty peaceful until someone instigates something on them and they're usually quite capable of returning the favor. being a 45g i'd stick to the smaller halichoeres: biocellatus, chrysus, claudia, or iridis

a dottyback could also help with the worm issue, orchid being the most peaceful

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
traceys and sapphire damsels should be fairly peaceful, but the blue velvet is likely problematic. is that the one that's aggressive?

traceys are hard to find so i'd keep those for sure. if the sapphires are aggressive it's likely because they're a pair, so you could return one. they reportedly eat some bristleworm type characters so i'd keep at least one

i doubt a halichoeres wrasse would be bothered by those damsels, the blue velvet maybe.. but seems halichoeres are pretty peaceful until someone instigates something on them and they're usually quite capable of returning the favor. being a 45g i'd stick to the smaller halichoeres: biocellatus, chrysus, claudia, or iridis

a dottyback could also help with the worm issue, orchid being the most peaceful

The blue velvet mostly keeps to himself, unless another damsel gets too close. He is the largest in the tank though. The others have their territories but for the part ignore each other.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any pics of these worms? Curious to see what you're dealing with.
Unforuntately I didn't think to grab a picture last Sunday. I have been peeking in the back AIO compartments trying to catch a glimpse of another small other. If I can find one I'll grab a picture.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unforuntately I didn't think to grab a picture last Sunday. I have been peeking in the back AIO compartments trying to catch a glimpse of another small other. If I can find one I'll grab a picture.

A pic would be really cool. I'm always curious about these types of things. The unknown/unwanted hitchhikers interest me tons. I have a 20 gallon setup for these critters. It has a mantis shrimp, and a couple worms. One is bristle(fire?) worm over a foot long when stretched out. I'm also fairly certain I have small bobit worm in there as well. I'm waiting for it make a larger tunnel in front of the tank for a better view. It has certainly created a nice pile sand in the front left corner of my tank.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue velvet mostly keeps to himself, unless another damsel gets too close. He is the largest in the tank though. The others have their territories but for the part ignore each other.

sorry i thought you said they were aggressive, i misunderstood.

i wouldn't worry too much about the halichoeres type. fairy and flashers might have more issues when they go to sleep at night and the damsels decide that's their rock area

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic would be really cool. I'm always curious about these types of things. The unknown/unwanted hitchhikers interest me tons. I have a 20 gallon setup for these critters. It has a mantis shrimp, and a couple worms. One is bristle(fire?) worm over a foot long when stretched out. I'm also fairly certain I have small bobit worm in there as well. I'm waiting for it make a larger tunnel in front of the tank for a better view. It has certainly created a nice pile sand in the front left corner of my tank.

Nothing was out this morning, I’ll keep checking. I want to get a picture anyway so I can make a positive ID. Your tank sounds interesting- I always liked the oddball fish and inverts. Except for in this case, haha.

sorry i thought you said they were aggressive, i misunderstood.

i wouldn't worry too much about the halichoeres type. fairy and flashers might have more issues when they go to sleep at night and the damsels decide that's their rock area

They can be from time to time if the others invade their rock work, but for the most part leave each other alone. The blue velvet mostly stays in his cave except for feeding time. Then he can get pushy but I’ve never seen it escalate very far.

Back