First ICP Test

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

drunkm0nk3y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my ICP test results back today. I did a base line before dosing/starting Triton. I was dosing Red Sea prior to Triton, just to keep the alk levels steady at 8, while waiting for the Core7 elements to come in.

So part of the recommendation is to do a water change 6 X 15% over the next 6 weeks to correct some levels like Barium and Aluminium, and High Calcium.

My question is do I dose the other trace elements like Magnesium, Potassium etc. while doing the water changes each week or dose after the 6 water changes? and do I continue as well Dosing the core7 Elements as well. Here is my ICP pdf,

Attachments

• ICP_Test.pdf
    119.3 KB · Views: 127

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First some questions

What type of media for phosphate removal do you use? Al based or GFO (if GFO which type ?)

How does the aquarium looks like - is it good or bad

Which salt do you use?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
D

drunkm0nk3y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of media for phosphate removal do you use? Al based or GFO (if GFO which type ?)

It was GFO Based. I was using it initially when i set up my tank, but has been removed. I believe some granules have spilled out from my media into bottom of the sump. I am looking at my equipment to see if there are any metals. and i will be removing the granules.

How does the aquarium looks like - is it good or bad

At the moment the aquarium looks good, i am not seeing anything bad at the moment.

Which salt do you use?

Red Sea Blue Bucket Salt.

OP
OP
D

drunkm0nk3y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i might have found out my high levels of Aluminum. I actually have marine pure bio balls in the sump.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i might have found out my high levels of Aluminum. I actually have marine pure bio balls in the sump.

You found it - remove but no panic with Al levels - my Al the last 4 years (i use Al based PO4 removers now and then

runtime 025.PNG

Your Barium levels is probably because that your GFO leak barium - some of them do it. The only GFO I know of that not leak Ba is rowaphos. A funny thing is that most GFO will take away Al and Al based removers take up barium. Therefore - I always use 50/50 Al based/GFO

Your calcium have sky rocket.

As I see it - you have two options.

1) Remove your bio balls. Let it be but just use bicarbonate for your alk (keep 8) - no mixed solutions. let the calcium decline automatical
2) Do the WC Triton recommend. The backslash with that is you very low PO4. IMO - if you go further down with that - you risk a dinoflagellate/cyanobacteria bloom.

I´m not sure what I should have done in this situation by myself. If I chose the WC path - I would for sure dose both PO4 and NO3 (keep levels around 0.05-0.1 ppm PO4 and 2 - 10 ppm NO3. Do two WC week 1 and wait a little and observe what happens. As long as it look good - no panic

As a reference my - Ca values and Ba values the last 4 years. I have had no problems caused by these three during these years

runtime 026.PNG

runtime 027.PNG

Hope this will help you with your decissions

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
D

drunkm0nk3y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

So just so i understand. you are saying if i do the water change. this will potentially lower my PO4 and NO3 levels even lower which would cause either cyano or dino outbreak.

I should keep dosing the base elements regardless of water change correct? and try to keep Alk at 8 ?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not dose calcium and skip also magnesium - dose only alk up to 8. IMO - valid for both if you do not do WC and if you do WC

So just so i understand. you are saying if i do the water change. this will potentially lower my PO4 and NO3 levels even lower which would cause either cyano or dino outbreak.
Yes - that it is my opinion - but not all people here agree about that. WC will lower both NO3 and PO4 - that I think all agree around but if it will cause cyano/dino outbreak or not it still a controversial issue.

Sincerely Lasse

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back