First Saltwater Tank 29 gallons

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan looking like it's loving life!
How cool is it watching them eat and then get all fat from it whilst it's digesting lol.

Maybe you can find some locals in your area that can utilise some of the snails as well ? share them out if you don't want 30 in the tank. They might even be able to put in some of the cost?

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan looking like it's loving life!
How cool is it watching them eat and then get all fat from it whilst it's digesting lol.

Maybe you can find some locals in your area that can utilise some of the snails as well ? share them out if you don't want 30 in the tank. They might even be able to put in some of the cost?
Thats my thought might ask the locals if anyone needs any. I just can't see the need for 50+ snails in my tank. Others yes. This one no. I'm waiting on a reply from a LFS of when they might have some but it is looking like I'm going to have to order. Can't say I haven't tried to give the money to a LFS instead of online.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went by the local fish store today and asked them to order some of snails I wanted. They said they would and took my number to call me when they arrive. I also bought 2 of the biggest trochus snails I've ever seen and 2 astrea turbo snails. So we've got 4 more people cleaning the tank and hopefully more on the way. Although the real tank cleaner is me. Haha.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how you get one with the additional cuc and whether you see improvements!
I'm seeing lots of improvements so far. They have lots of diatoms to eat. My 1 old trochus is working but he had more than he could eat. They may get full and slow down but so far they're working hard. They came out of a much cleaner barebottom tank at the store. I didn't want the astrea turbo snails. They can't turn themselves over if they fall but... I dont have anything to eat them so I should be able to right them but up if they fall over in gluttony. I guess I will see tomorrow how much they have done in a day. But at this point no regrets. The fish store is ordering me some cerith snails so I can have someone to pick the tight places and more sandbed. Hard to take a pic with the the blue lights on.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I've been considering getting some more for my tank. The 2 I have do a decent job, but I think maybe a couple more would help. Don't want to starve out the sandsifter goby though either but he doesn't touch the rocks so should be ok.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I've been considering getting some more for my tank. The 2 I have do a decent job, but I think maybe a couple more would help. Don't want to starve out the sandsifter goby though either but he doesn't touch the rocks so should be ok.
Yeah I think your goby would be good. Most snails stay off the sand minus nassarius and cerith. The nassarius only eat food though. They won't really help with any algae of the sand. Your tank will eventually need more cuc.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy past week. Was put of town. Had my sister come by and feed the fish and top off my tank. Noticed my Duncan coral spitting out a 3rd head nub so that is cool. I ordered some coral from AquaSD during their live sale. I should be getting a nice big crown leather, a micro acan, a favia, a ricordea mushroom, a blastomussa, and some other stuff next Thursday. I have to go out of town next week as well and didn't want them delivered before I left for 3 days. It is waterchange day tomorrow. I still have a few diatoms on my sand bed but all the diatoms are off my rocks from the snails. They have resorted to the glass and some of the trochus and cleaning the sand bed sometimes. BUT I find it a good sign that I have no more diatoms on my sand than I did last week. So they seem to have leveled out or the snails are keeping them at the same level. Very happy.
20210225_150637.jpg

Duncan extra nub coming in. The Duncan closed up a bit for about a day and came back out with the extra nub and his 2nd nub longer.

20210226_130115.jpg

Snails have all the rocks clean. Almost scary clean. Sand still dirty but liveable. I ordered some live phytoplankton a week ago that has yet to arrive. Hopefully it arrives before I go out of town on Sunday. If it does I will begin dosing the tank with some phyto and dose it as part food for the new corals as well.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's going well, glad to hear the family looked after it well and didn't kill anything off (have read some horror stories on here from that!)

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well had to go out of town for 2 and a Half days. I dont have an Auto Top off and ny family was at the beach so I over filled my tank a bit and hoped for the best. I got back yesterday and the fish were fine and nothing quit while I was gone. The skimmer cup was full but I will consider that a win. I really don't mind topping off my Tank everyday when I am home but when I am away I am going to have to make myself a simple Auto top off I think.

My 2 clowns have decided to start to host the filter skimmer a lot more lately than even before. I havent had the powerhead on much lately. I am still trying to find the happy place with it. If it is not on there are a couple stagnant places in the tank. I have also always turned it off at night but I think I am going to try keeping it on tonight and see how things go.

I started dosing phytoplankton in the tank and the biodiversity in the water has helped. It has also fed the few Pods I had in there and I haven't had any bad algae growing since adding it. Which is a bonus I guess.

Tomorrow I have a shipment of coral arriving from AquaSD hopefully everything will arrive healthy. I should have a Blastomussa, Australian Crown Leather, Ricordea Florida Mushroom, Micromussa Acan, Favia Coral, and Acid Wash Bubble Tip Anemone. I am excited. Everything with Shipping was at least 50% less than buying at my LFS so hopefully it goes well and I can do this again in the future.

Did a waterchange today in anticipation of the coral and because I was out of town. I checked the salinity with my refractometer it was 1.026 and checked nitrates they were less than 5ppm. I sifted the sand. Then cleaned all the filter sponges and floss and got any nasties off the media bags.

Will update with how the online coral experience went when they arrive tomorrow.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to your next update after receiving the corals :)
I'm looking forward to it as well they are on a plane as we speak but I'm always worried about shipping its a long way from California to Alabama in one night. Almost exactly 2,000 miles or 3,218km. Stresses me out.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my order of corals today from @AquaSD !!!! It arrived at about 1015am. I was very surprised bci kinda live on the cusp of 3 different cities so I was worried it would come later. Every arrived in great packaging and even had a heat pack still warm. I took everything out and floated it for about 30mins. All the pieces looked alive and healthy. No bleaching or color loss really from the shipping. I then opened it up into a container and acclimated everything over about 40mins. I put the Anemone in a separate container so I could add an coral dip to the coral and not harm the Anemone. I put the Anemone in the tank first and he took a foot kinda in a crevice. He seems happy there and has beautiful bubbles right now. He's very small. I am hoping my clowns do not realize he is around for awhile until it gets bigger. They did come out of a tank where they were hosting Anemones. So they definitely know what he is if they find him. Everything came on a frag plug except the Giant Australian Crown Leather Coral and the Anemone of course. Luckily I have carib sea life rock and there are nearly perfect sized frag plug holes made into them. I slid them all into them and will adjust them as I see fit depending on their needs.

The Ricordea Mushroom opened up nearly instantly in the Tank.
20210311_202246.jpg

Of course pictures can't do it justice but it is very orange and beautiful.

The Favia has looked good all days well
20210311_202412.jpg

It is red with a green center very cool.

The Blastomussa has taken most of the day to open and I have moved him lower in the tank and he seems to be doing a little better.
20210311_202419.jpg

The Blastomussa is Red with a Teal center and has two larger heads and two smaller heads that are forming on the side. I am very excited for this one.

The Micromussa Acan is also cool. He is kinda off by himself bc of his sweeper tentacles that might come out. It is more of a Teal and Purple color with some green. It has now opened up as well. I cant wait for that one to grow bigger.
20210311_202440.jpg

The Anemone has been in the same spot the whole day he may move tonight but so far he seems happy with his placement today. Harder to get a picture of him but really cool colors.
20210311_202433.jpg

They also gave me a free frag and I'm not sure what it is exactly. They don't really give you a label it just says Freebie! It looks like a Cyphastrea maybe? Not sure but I am happy to have it. Hope it does well.
20210311_202448.jpg

I do not believe it has opened up really yet.

Last but not least the biggest purchase and biggest item was a 4-5" Australian Crown Leather Coral. It was pretty waxy and retracted from the trip and may have been shedding when they sent it IDK. It has slowly throughout the day been shedding a little off and I can see some polyps coming out. Right now it looks rather gnarly.
20210311_202453.jpg

As you can see in the picture the polyps are beginning to come out. I put it right under my filter mainly because it seems like something the clowns would like to host and they stay there a lot. It also gives the leather plenty of flow to help it shed.

Overall I am happy with what I received from my order and would order again. I will try to update in a day or two with any changes.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm glad everything arrived nicely packed and in good condition.
Looks like they'd be some awesome pieces in your tank. I'd love an anemone but worry it'll kill my other corals.
Might do it one day, but we'll see :p

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm glad everything arrived nicely packed and in good condition.
Looks like they'd be some awesome pieces in your tank. I'd love an anemone but worry it'll kill my other corals.
Might do it one day, but we'll see :p
Well the price was about $20 less than a plain one at my LFS so I gave it a shot. Its pretty small so I will have to see what I can get him to eat. The plain ones at the LFS do not have that acid wash texture effect. So far he has moved anywhere near a coral tomorrow who knows???

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures from today
20210312_133049.jpg

The Crown Leather trying to finish its shedding. Its looking much better!

20210312_133652.jpg

Ricordea looking plump!

20210312_133656.jpg

Blastos seem happy as well.

20210312_133705.jpg

Micro with its tentacles out!

20210312_133054.jpg

The Anemone is moving out from his crevice. I didn't think he would stay there long in the shade.

So everything seems to be doing okay today so far. I moved a frag away from the moving Anemone incase he decided to keep going further.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact tank, and you’re right, it looks big but it’s not LOL. Perfect for me bc I get the optics without all the work! How’s that anemone doing???? We started our journey only a few weeks apart and I want one BADLY. Everyone keeps saying wait 6 months but I’m becoming impatient. I had been patient as far as the other corals but you’ve got me wanting to make that move. Following. Our tanks and inhabitants are almost identical.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact tank, and you’re right, it looks big but it’s not LOL. Perfect for me bc I get the optics without all the work! How’s that anemone doing???? We started our journey only a few weeks apart and I want one BADLY. Everyone keeps saying wait 6 months but I’m becoming impatient. I had been patient as far as the other corals but you’ve got me wanting to make that move. Following. Our tanks and inhabitants are almost identical.
The Anemone has been doing okay. He hasn't really moved from where he has been which is good. He's moved maybe 2 inches one way or the other. Ive fed him fish pellets a couple of times and he's eaten fine. The fish still dont know he exists so I guess thats good for now. I guess only time will tell. I fed him twice last week. So we shall see how he does. I dont want him to do bad but he was considerably cheaper when I bought corals online than in the LFS.

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I noticed yesterday some pink colored stuff on my sand. I am fairly sure it is cyanobacteria. Today I siphoned out what I could with a turkey baster. I also added some chemiclean to hopefully help with reducing it. It doesn't seem to be anywhere except the sand so far but I would like to try to beat it early if possible. I took my chemi-pure out of the tank and hopefully I will see a difference in 48hrs. All the corals are doing well and fish are good.

The clownfish were fighting over the weekend trying to assume dominance. The orange clown I think realized the black one is now about the same size as him and wanted to make sure the black one knew who was the boss. The black one didn't sleep with him for 2 days and now they seem to be doing well again. So I assume it was a stalemate or the black one agreed to the orange ones terms.
20210317_152313.jpg

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I cleaned the tank yesterday and the chemiclean worked really well. I wasn't at home today and lights were off when I got home but yesterday all the cyano had disappeared after 48hrs. I forgot to take a picture. Its been a crazy week. The weather got bad this week and a Tornado ripped through my parents neighborhood and collapsed or demolished about 40+ homes. So I've been trying to help put the parentsand neighbors this weekend. Theyre house was fine luckily but others were not. So long story short I left before the lights came on today and came back after they went off. But in the dark everything still looked good.

I was very impressed with how the chemiclean worked. Now I didn't have cyano bad. From the picture I posted last time you can see the sand had pink spots and next day a lot of the pink had turned red and was stringy but it wasn't everywhere in the tank. I was just amazed by how it made it disappear.

I changed water after 48 hrs and I cleaned my filter and the the skimmer wiped them all down and checked motors and things.

One downside to the chemiclean was it made my skimmer go NUTS. I think in the 48hrs I emptied my skimmer catch probably 6 or 7 times. I kinda stopped counting. There wasn't anything I could do to make it not skim wet. I gave up. But next time I know this.

I am thinking it is about time to add another fish with my clown friends. I am trying to decide between a watchman goby with a pistol shrimp or a green clown goby. The watchman with the pistol shrimp is considerably more money than the green clown goby.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back