First saltwater tank.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, is yellow algae on the rocks good? Is it a early form of corraline? or will it kill my corraline algae?
It’s not coralline. It’s diatoms. It’s a sign of tank cycling. It happens at the beginning mostly. You will have it everywhere. It’s not harmful but annoying.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish could be suffering from early ammonia spikes depending on when they were added during this process. Clowns are hearty but still prone to disease when stressed. Remember when you test it captures that moment in time. But numbers fluctuate constantly and ammonia especially fluctuates in a brand new tank.

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish could be suffering from early ammonia spikes depending on when they were added during this process. Clowns are hearty but still prone to disease when stressed. Remember when you test it captures that moment in time. But numbers fluctuate constantly and ammonia especially fluctuates in a brand new tank.
I added them when my test read no ammonia or nitrites and like 20ppm nitrates.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a week and a half, I had a pre established freshwater tank so I used that cartridge, because whats the worst that could happen.
You might be seeing the worst that can happen with sick fish. 10 days is too early. While the tank had begun to cycle, it could not keep up with the bio load of your fish.

At this point. I hope your fish survive. Are you medicating them?

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be seeing the worst that can happen with sick fish. 10 days is too early. While the tank had begun to cycle, it could not keep up with the bio load of your fish.

At this point. I hope your fish survive. Are you medicating them?
I have, and the spots are going away.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sw and fw bacteria are different. Adding a preestablished fw cartridge to sw will do nothing. How did you cycle the tank? Cyano will choke out corals if left unchecked. I’d lower your light cycle, check flow and monitor nitrate and phosphate. Your tank is also going through the uglies so it will go through various algae stages. Are you using rodi?

OP
OP
Unitylover

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sw and fw bacteria are different. Adding a preestablished fw cartridge to sw will do nothing. How did you cycle the tank? Cyano will choke out corals if left unchecked. I’d lower your light cycle, check flow and monitor nitrate and phosphate. Your tank is also going through the uglies so it will go through various algae stages. Are you using rodi?
I dont have any corals, nor do I have an RODI system, I also cant afford one due to being broke from the tank setup, to buying the fish, salt, and hermits.
(also, Ill take an hour off my light cycle)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back