OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just take it back. It's being really aggressive and not just to the firefish. I had a sick hawkfish I was trying to move to my hospital tank that seemed to die prematurely two nights ago. I only found the head. I wonder if this is the culprit?
I need to stop trusting the live aquaria temperaments.
tempImageh5L2a7.png

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just take it back. It's being really aggressive and not just to the firefish. I had a sick hawkfish I was trying to move to my hospital tank that seemed to die prematurely two nights ago. I only found the head. I wonder if this is the culprit?
tempImageh5L2a7.png
I mean, unless the hortulanus is large, I doubt he'd take the head off a hawkfish. He might have contributed to eating the body, though.

I don't trust most sites that sell fish when it comes to aggression levels, because they're trying to sell it to you. Obviously take that with a grain of salt; if you go to an LFS and the person you're talking too clearly has a lot of experience, listen.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 50gal but I’m planning on upgrading. Also my LFS happily takes fish that grow too big but that will be a while as it’s only 2-3” now.
Two years ago I had a .5 inch jade, within the first 5-6 months she grew like a plague and hit 4 inch. She’s now pushing 6 inch, large wrasses will grow rather fast in the first few months. Don’t think they’re slow growing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImageh5L2a7.png
IMHO, none of the large wrasses are peaceful. You may get one that is less aggressive but they won’t be totally peaceful. Also it adds the fact the tank is too small which brings out a lot more aggression in a fish.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, unless the hortulanus is large, I doubt he'd take the head off a hawkfish. He might have contributed to eating the body, though.

I don't trust most sites that sell fish when it comes to aggression levels, because they're trying to sell it to you. Obviously take that with a grain of salt; if you go to an LFS and the person you're talking too clearly has a lot of experience, listen.
It was a sick and small hawkfish but you're right I shouldn't blame with no evidence. I was shocked how much of it was eaten in one night though.

This is the same site that gives cardinal fish the semi-aggressive tag though. I do think I have an especially mean one. Even my significantly bigger foxface is scared of it now.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, none of the large wrasses are peaceful. You may get one that is less aggressive but they won’t be totally peaceful. Also it adds the fact the tank is too small which brings out a lot more aggression in a fish.
It's a <3 inch wrasse in a 5 foot tank that has enough pods to keep a large melanarus and two mandarins fat. If it was triple the size and I didn't feed several times a day plus my pods I'd be inclined to agree but my theory is that it got hungry when the other wrasse bullied it now its compensating by trying to drive off any competition to food it can. Certainly was a dumb purchase though. I've been looking for wrasse I can add to my tank and I so rarely see ones at LFS's that don't look sick. But this one was too similar to the mela.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back