Fish Feeding Schedule

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I would like an opinion on weather or not I'm overfeeding.

I feed half a tablespoon of garlic enriched Omega One flakes every otherday. And I feed half a cube of both myso shrimp and of a green nori mixture. I also give my tang and triggerfish about 3" of nori once a week. I have some algae in my tank but my tang doesn't touch the stuff hence why im assuming I over feed. Should I feed a lot less?

tank inhabitants:

- 3" Picasso triggerfish
- 3.5" Yellow tang
- 2" Coral beauty
- 2 2.5" Perculas
- 3.5" Diamond watchman goby
- 3" Lyrtail Anthia

Any insight will help and my phospahtes aren't zero which is the reason I havew byropsis right now. I believe over feeding is the culprit but please let me know

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quantity is difficult to determine what is right. For flakes and frozen allthe food should be gone in about 30 seconds, but fish ideally should be fed a few times a day.

If nutrient levels are higher than you would like, look at alternative methods for controlling them; i.e. larger or more frequent water changes, carbon dosing, media reactors, etc.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think that you are feed to much? As @Fenzinna and @eatbreakfast stated your tank will tell you buy the development of different types of algae. I feed heavy I also have a large clean up crew on the job;)

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That must be what I am missing. I probly will spend a good amount of money on a nice big CUC and hope that my trigger stays happy and not too "trigger happy" when it comes to eating the cuc

pun clearly intended :)

Fenzinna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not need to change anything. I would stay consistent with feeding and keep checking nutrients.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only feeding once or twice a day, I would add more feedings. Keep the quantity for the day, just divide it up over multiple feedings.

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be slightly hard to so since I work 12 hour days (2 hours of which is used commuting) Unless feeding them in the early morning or at night when lights are out would work?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be slightly hard to so since I work 12 hour days (2 hours of which is used commuting) Unless feeding them in the early morning or at night when lights are out would work?
Why not adjust the light schedule to accommodate viewing and more frequent feeding?

OP
OP
Tanked_Life

Tanked_Life

Brain Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the light schedule down running at 6 hours of white and blue and 9 hours of blue, the family is home for when the whites are on and I am too for around an hour and a half but they refuse to feed the fish when I am not there haha

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen (brine, mysis, LRS, Rods, etc) at least twice a day. I have an AFS setup on my apex to feed pellets 4 times a day. And usually have a clip on nori in the tank daily.

I like fat and happy fish so I feed until they stop eating! As long as your system is designed to handle the nutrient load keep on feeding

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed a cube of that Mysis or LRS food every day and never use flakes or adult brine. The nori is fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back