Fish gulping air bubbles on the surface after eating.

  • Thread starter Thread starter KGV
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KGV

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2021
Messages
287
Reaction score
135
Location
Belgium
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After feeding, two blue tangs and a foxface will shoot repeatedly to the surface and take a gulp of air that they expel through the gills. They only do this in the first 10 minutes after feeding. There is nothing noticeable wrong with them and seem in good health. They also love to make a good splash while doing this. Any idea why they show such behavior? @Jay Hemdal any ideas?
 
I've seen that happen too with some of my fish, I always thought there is still a film of food oil on the surface which they are smelling and trying to eat, but could never figure it out completely.
 
I should add that this is not the piping or gasping behaviour that you see when there is too little oxygen in the water.

It appears that they enjoy expelling the bubbles through their gills after a meal. But what could that possible serve?
 
My hippo has been doing that forever. She especially likes to do it after I clean the glass. She’ll get water running down the outside and I have to clean it again. I think she does it on purpose.
 
My hippo has been doing that forever. She especially likes to do it after I clean the glass. She’ll get water running down the outside and I have to clean it again. I think she does it on purpose.
That's exactly what I thought! I thought they may find it entertaining to splash and see the water run down the glass. But then I build a canopy to stop the splashing, but they still do it.
 
After feeding, two blue tangs and a foxface will shoot repeatedly to the surface and take a gulp of air that they expel through the gills. They only do this in the first 10 minutes after feeding. There is nothing noticeable wrong with them and seem in good health. They also love to make a good splash while doing this. Any idea why they show such behavior? @Jay Hemdal any ideas?
I’m not sure why some fish do that. I had a genicanthus angel that would swallow the air and then pass it as gas a few hours later.
Just be sure the fish are being fed enough and aren’t just skimming around looking for more food.
Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new