Fish gulping air bubbles on the surface after eating.

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After feeding, two blue tangs and a foxface will shoot repeatedly to the surface and take a gulp of air that they expel through the gills. They only do this in the first 10 minutes after feeding. There is nothing noticeable wrong with them and seem in good health. They also love to make a good splash while doing this. Any idea why they show such behavior? @Jay Hemdal any ideas?

Boreas_SA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that happen too with some of my fish, I always thought there is still a film of food oil on the surface which they are smelling and trying to eat, but could never figure it out completely.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that this is not the piping or gasping behaviour that you see when there is too little oxygen in the water.

It appears that they enjoy expelling the bubbles through their gills after a meal. But what could that possible serve?

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo has been doing that forever. She especially likes to do it after I clean the glass. She’ll get water running down the outside and I have to clean it again. I think she does it on purpose.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo has been doing that forever. She especially likes to do it after I clean the glass. She’ll get water running down the outside and I have to clean it again. I think she does it on purpose.
That's exactly what I thought! I thought they may find it entertaining to splash and see the water run down the glass. But then I build a canopy to stop the splashing, but they still do it.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo would do this also . Quite funny , don't think you should worry about it .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After feeding, two blue tangs and a foxface will shoot repeatedly to the surface and take a gulp of air that they expel through the gills. They only do this in the first 10 minutes after feeding. There is nothing noticeable wrong with them and seem in good health. They also love to make a good splash while doing this. Any idea why they show such behavior? @Jay Hemdal any ideas?
I’m not sure why some fish do that. I had a genicanthus angel that would swallow the air and then pass it as gas a few hours later.
Just be sure the fish are being fed enough and aren’t just skimming around looking for more food.
Jay

Back