Fish question

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallons really limits you. Most fish individually won't fit.

What species are you looking at?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the size, waste production and aggression of the fish and your means of nutrient export. What fish are you interested in?

OP
OP
J

Jedi knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the size, waste production and aggression of the fish and your means of nutrient export. What fish are you interested in?
Well I used to have a freshwater 10 gallon tank had decent amount fish everyone got along so my 10 gallon saltwater fish tank would probably just have a pair of clownfish and maybe a 2 inch wrasse

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some groups I think can work in a 10-
Pink streaked or possum wrasse or azure damsel
Hifin or wheeler shrimp goby and Randal pistol shrimp
Pygmy geometric perchlet or firefish or yellow assessor or tailspot blenny, swissguard basslet (either rubre or swales) (you can probably pick 2 of these)
Total of 3-4 fish

You could do 4-5 or so small trimma, eviota gobies/green banded gobies/ or barnacle blennies. This would probably be less bioload than 3 of the above fish. I have a pink streaked wrasse in qt now and it poops a ton!!!

Clownfish are bigger, messier and more aggressive. So getting one Percula or ocellarus and a shrimp goby is probably a good bet. I don’t think a pair of clowns work well in a 10 gallon long term as the female gets larger and more aggressive.

OP
OP
J

Jedi knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some groups I think can work in a 10-
Pink streaked or possum wrasse or azure damsel
Hifin or wheeler shrimp goby and Randal pistol shrimp
Pygmy geometric perchlet or firefish or yellow assessor or tailspot blenny, swissguard basslet (either rubre or swales) (you can probably pick 2 of these)
Total of 3-4 fish

You could do 4-5 or so small trimma, eviota gobies/green banded gobies/ or barnacle blennies. This would probably be less bioload than 3 of the above fish. I have a pink streaked wrasse in qt now and it poops a ton!!!

Clownfish are bigger, messier and more aggressive. So getting one Percula or ocellarus and a shrimp goby is probably a good bet. I don’t think a pair of clowns work well in a 10 gallon long term as the female gets larger and more aggressive.
So you think I should go with a percula clownfish and a ocellarus clownfish I don’t think I’ve seen a shrimp goby before

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no I think one clownfish, not two different species.

If you don’t know what a shrimp goby is then I suggest doing some research online on nano fish. Live aquaria’s Website is a good place to start - that way you will have a sense of what fish are good choices

OP
OP
J

Jedi knight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no I think one clownfish, not two different species.

If you don’t know what a shrimp goby is then I suggest doing some research online on nano fish. Live aquaria’s Website is a good place to start - that way you will have a sense of what fish are good choices
I hear ya but i’m talking getting maybe a big enough male clownfish not to big and a small female that have been together for awhile now I should have explained better then I did sorry about that

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice comes from reading lots of threads where a pair of clownfish in a small tank end up bullying/killing other fish and where the female ends up bullying the male so much that one has to be removed.

All Clowns start life as males, if you get two small ones of the same species the one will become larger and more aggressive as he transitions to female. The female keeps the male a male through pheromones and physical aggression.

IMHO clowns are better suited for 20-30 gallon tanks. It just seems like In really small tanks they end up being too aggressive

Back