Fish Recommendations

Jamie228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 55 gallon and could use some advise on stocking it. It currently has
2 Ocellaris clownfish
2 BTA
1 pajama cardinal
1 lawnmower blenny
1 filefish
1 cleaner shrimp
snails for cuc

I would like to add a goby for my sand even though they can be a pain with moving all the sand around I like them. It would probably be a diamond watchman goby unless there is a better option.

I would really like a puffer of some sort since they have great personalities from what I have seen however I do have corals and with my cleaner shrimp I figured they would end up an expensive snack. I’ve read mixed success on keeping them with corals and cleaner shrimps. Is there any possible puffer fish that would be less of a gamble?

What would be some other good options to add?

It’s a little overwhelming with all of the different types of fish and trying to research as much as possible before actually buying.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

Diamond gobies are definitely really good at moving sand, but there are many more goby options to explore! There’s the group that pairs well with pistol shrimp- but these are usually pretty small with the general exception of the watchman gobies. Engineer gobies, tiger watchmen, yellow watchmen, flag tail, and pink stripe would be my picks :).

I’m not sure if your tank is large enough for a puffer, but the Valentinis are s u p e r adorable! Live Aquaria has a good breakdown of a fish’s behavior and environmental needs :)

I always suggest angels, because they’re my favorite fish. Cherubs and flamebacks are my favorites because they’re very active, friendly with tankmates, have been the best about not touching corals, and only get to around 2 1/2” so they’re suitable for a lot of tanks :). Very cute fish and I love them!

A hawkfish is always a nice addition to a tank, it’s fun to play Where’s Waldo? With them. My favs are the longnose hawks closely followed by the geometric hawk. Just be aware that small inverts may become a nutritious snack.

Here’s my geo hawk :)
642C36CF-82D4-490F-BF41-BCA73138E894.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jamie228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestions!

I think the tiger watchman or flag tail have made my short list of possible gobies and need to look into them more. I really like the coloring of the tiger watchman. Do you know if it is as active as the diamond? All the diamonds I have seen in person seem to constantly be moving sand around and Pretty active.

I was looking at the Valentini Puffer and really want one but wasn’t sure how much trouble they would cause with corals and cleaner shrimp. Live Aquaria is where I started researching puffers after seeing the Valentini And they show reef safe with caution and min tank size is 30 gal for them on there so thought it might be an option if I wanted to take the gamble it would be a good citizen :)

I didn’t think an Angel would be an option for me. most I was finding recommended 70 or larger. I really like both that you mentioned so I added getting one of them to my possible list of fish and research them some more. I like that they are active fish. The pajama cardinal I have just hangs out in a rock cave unless it’s time to eat. I saved it from Petco a few years ago when they were redoing their fish area when I was just switching to saltwater and didn’t know a lot(which I still feel like I have so much to learn). It was the last fish and super cheap since they needed the tanks empty to remodel. Felt bad for it and wasn’t sure what would happen if it didn’t sale.

I haven’t looked at hawk fish as all. Your Geo Hawk looks cool and love the red.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s pics of my little cherub, super active!
299B28BF-6EE8-4D4B-BAD9-B3CF66D53F2E.jpeg
BB27B60C-224D-4E3F-82F1-F1EC4D112DBF.jpeg

I’ve heard mixed results with the valentini, mostly that it enjoys clams and a lot of fleshy LPS. Definitely doable depending on what you want the focus of your tank to be!

I really love the hawkfish. The longnose and geo hawks are okay with cleaner shrimp, just not sexy shrimp or crabs. But if you want a puffer those will prey on your shrimp and crabs anyway.

I believe the diamond goby is the hardest working of all the gobies we’ve discussed. The other species pair with pistols so I don’t think they work nearly as hard but they are still a lot of fun to watch! If I didn’t have a barebottom tank, I’d have a tiger watchman goby, I think they’re gorgeous and the pistol shrimp relationships are super fun to watch.

Attachments

• IMG_7591.MP4
    19.9 MB
OP
OP
J

Jamie228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t plan on any other shrimp besides the cleaner and maybe a pistol for the goby if I didn’t get the puffer. I’ve seen some videos and pictures of their relationship. It’s pretty interesting.

That is what I had been reading about the Valentini as well and why as much as I want it to work unless I change what I plan to keep coral wise or not get upset if/when it eats a coral it won’t work. I‘ve had some softies and frogspawn for a while but I just recently started expanding to different types of corals such as torch and Favia which I’ve read they can find very tasty. I‘ve read they are hit or miss with eating the cleaner shrimp as well. I just love their personality.

The angel fish would be a better option for my tank plans. I will probably go with it now that I know it’s an option. I just need to figure out which of the two I’d want and the other tank mates. I‘m leaning toward the flameback but not sure I can get it locally. I don’t have a lot of store options near me. My LFS is rude and I’ve had better luck with Petco fish than theirs. May have to take a drive or order online.

I’m really looking for some more active fish or with good personalities to add. You gave me some options to research.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t plan on any other shrimp besides the cleaner and maybe a pistol for the goby if I didn’t get the puffer. I’ve seen some videos and pictures of their relationship. It’s pretty interesting.

That is what I had been reading about the Valentini as well and why as much as I want it to work unless I change what I plan to keep coral wise or not get upset if/when it eats a coral it won’t work. I‘ve had some softies and frogspawn for a while but I just recently started expanding to different types of corals such as torch and Favia which I’ve read they can find very tasty. I‘ve read they are hit or miss with eating the cleaner shrimp as well. I just love their personality.

The angel fish would be a better option for my tank plans. I will probably go with it now that I know it’s an option. I just need to figure out which of the two I’d want and the other tank mates. I‘m leaning toward the flameback but not sure I can get it locally. I don’t have a lot of store options near me. My LFS is rude and I’ve had better luck with Petco fish than theirs. May have to take a drive or order online.

I’m really looking for some more active fish or with good personalities to add. You gave me some options to research.
Dartfish are very active, but again, I’m not sure about tank size. I love the zebra barred dartfish! Very nice swimmers, my LFS has them in their display tank. I believe they get along quite well with fire fish but I haven’t had both in the same tank so it’s worth some research.

The flamebacks are in stock on Live Aquaria, Divers Den, and Blue Zoo :). They’re a fairly common angel. I think your tank is big enough for a coral beauty but it depends on the shape of the tank and how much rock you have. The captive bred ones on DD right now are GORGEOUS and I’d love to have one but my tanks are too small.

if you’re home a lot/have an auto feeder one or two anthias might be a good choice! They’re super active swimmers but can be a little pricey and more than likely you’ll need to order them in.

Honestly, scrolling through Live Aquaria or Blue Zoo for a couple hours will really get you in tune with what you’re wanting. Every person is different and every tank has different needs so research is the way to go! I’ve discovered many of my favorite fish simply by browsing BZ and LA for a couple of hours and making my way through every category, their write ups on the fish are pretty thorough! Best of luck to you, and I hope whatever fish you settle on is perfect for your tank!

OP
OP
J

Jamie228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the coral beauty’s are gorgeous! So many fish and not enough tank space :)

Thank for for taking the time to give me some suggestions and to point me in the right direct!

I’ll continue to research. Hopefully in a couple weeks I’ll be able ready to add my next fish.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You currently have:
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Pajama Cardinalfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny

I would suggest adding:
1 shrimp and goby pair
1 Royal Gramma / other kind of basslet or assessor / maybe a Valentini Puffer
1 Atlantic Cherub / African Flameback Angelfish

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could maybe do a leopard toby puffer, i think theyre smaller and possibly more peaceful than the valentini. You will still want to do research on them just to be sure theyre right for.you though.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the suggestions!

I didn’t think an Angel would be an option for me. most I was finding recommended 70 or larger. I really like both that you mentioned so I added getting one of them to my possible list of fish and research them some more.
You could have a Coral Beauty or a Flame Angel; I have kept them successfully in a 45g. The Coral Beauty is one of the most beautiful fishes for the buck; you can get one for like $40....

Agels.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jamie228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You currently have:
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Pajama Cardinalfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny

I would suggest adding:
1 shrimp and goby pair
1 Royal Gramma / other kind of basslet or assessor / maybe a Valentini Puffer
1 Atlantic Cherub / African Flameback Angelfish
Thank you this gives me an idea of what and how many I can add without overstocking. Is there any order I should add the fish in? I’d like to add the goby next since I know for sure I want one then research more the others. Can the shrimp be added after the goby or would it have to be at the same time or purchased as a pair? I do not want to add anymore shrimp until I decide on the puffer or not. I figure it would find the shrimp tasty.

You could maybe do a leopard toby puffer, i think theyre smaller and possibly more peaceful than the valentini. You will still want to do research on them just to be sure theyre right for.you though.

I’ll look into this puffer. From a brief search sounds like it may be a better fit since it is smaller as you said. I’ll have to research it more. If I did go with a puffer should I try to get it small in size when purchased?

You could have a Coral Beauty or a Flame Angel; I have kept them successfully in a 45g. The Coral Beauty is one of the most beautiful fishes for the buck; you can get one for like $40....

Agels.jpg
I have seen both locally before and agree the coral beauty is gorgeous and a lot cheaper than others. I’ll keep these in mind while I research!

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into this puffer. From a brief search sounds like it may be a better fit since it is smaller as you said. I’ll have to research it more. If I did go with a puffer should I try to get it small in size when purchased?
I imagine a smaller size would be better as he may grow with shrimp and stuff and so not see them as prey more. But you cant really be sure, and ive never kept then to know, ive been looking for some but never seen them available. Someone with experience with them may be better to ask sorry, just thought id suggest them

OP
OP
J

Jamie228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby can go in first, before the shrimp. They should be able to find each other. I’d add the Puffer after the shrimp, but if you really can’t wait, I heard adding the shrimp at night might give it a better chance.

Waiting is not a problem at all. I just want to make sure I do this right or options I have. I’ve made the mistake in the past of rushing into a fish without proper research. I was planning to add the goby in a 2-3 weeks and possibly the shrimp as well.

I imagine a smaller size would be better as he may grow with shrimp and stuff and so not see them as prey more. But you cant really be sure, and ive never kept then to know, ive been looking for some but never seen them available. Someone with experience with them may be better to ask sorry, just thought id suggest them
That was my thinking as well but I don’t have a lot of experience. No problem at all. Thank you for the suggestion and advice. I’ll be looking into it for sure.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a Leopard Puffer, it wouldn't eat anything but live feeder guppies.... It attempted suicide twice, and succeeded on the second attempt as I was not around to put it back into the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a Leopard Puffer, it wouldn't eat anything but live feeder guppies.... It attempted suicide twice, and succeeded on the second attempt as I was not around to put it back into the tank.
Yikes good to know. I haven’t found a lot of people’s experience with the Leopard Toby Puffer so far while researching. There is a lot more out there on the Valentini Puffer. From what I have found they sound very similar. Some sites say Leopard is smaller and some same size full grown.

Hawk fish is one I’m considering depending on other fish. They look interesting.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back