Fish stocking advice

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

Im new to the saltwater hobby (been keeping freshwater for a while) and I just converted my 180 gallon freshwater tank to saltwater. Tanks dimensions are 72x24x24 with a 40 gallon sump (including refugium). It is currently cyclying and Im starting to put together my stocking list. I wanted to run it by you folks and get your opinion:

2 ocellaris clownfish
4 to 5 chromis
4 to 5 squirrel fish
1 six line wrasse
4 yellow tangs
1 Emperor Angel Fish
1 blue Hippo Tang
Various inverts - snails, crabs, sea urchins

Im mainly into the fish, but do plan on keeping some soft and lps corals in the tank. I made sure to leave plenty of empty swimming space in the tank, only placing rocks to create caves for the squirrel fish to hide in during the day and for corals. I plan on adding the 2 clownfish when my tank is done cycling.

My first concern is the tangs, is 4 yellow tangs too many? I plan to purchase juvenile tangs and add them all at the same time to hopefully curb aggression. I try to avoid doing 3 of any fish in case 2 pair up and bully the third. I initially will use them for algae control but will supplement their diet with nori.

My second concern is the Blue Hippo Tang. Ive read they are finicky and are very prone to ick. Does anyone have any experience with blue hippo tangs? I do plan on quarantining before putting in my tank.

My third concern is the emperor angel and the squirrel fish. From my research they may eat the inverts and/or coral. Once again just looking for anyone's thoughts on if they truly will destroy the coral/inverts.

My last concern is the overall tank size with this amount of fish. Emperor angels can get pretty big? Do you think the tank is overstocked?

I appreciate any input and advice in advance, just trying to learn.

Thanks

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many beautiful wrasses to choose from that won't turn into murderous spawns of satan on a whim. 4 to 5 Chromis often turn into 1 Chromis over time. It may or may not depend on the exact species you get.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what ive heard, squirrel fish will eat anything that fits in their mouth, including small fish, so im not sure theyre a great choice. also as theyre nocturnal you wont probably see them much unless you design the aquascape around them.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back