Fish that bite!!

rstrann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo beats the heck out of my arm. Everytime I'm in, Thump thump thump thump... Cleaner wrasse cleans my hand, doesn't hurt. Valentini puffer tries to bite at food but misses and gets skin sometimes, which scares the bejesus out of me, every stinking time :rolleyes:

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo beats the heck out of my arm. Everytime I'm in, Thump thump thump thump... Cleaner wrasse cleans my hand, doesn't hurt. Valentini puffer tries to bite at food but misses and gets skin sometimes, which scares the bejesus out of me, every stinking time :rolleyes:

Yea, lol, those little "nano" puffers like to chomp on anything. It's not like they even do a quick "hit-n-run" maneuver either. They just casually swim over and take a bite of you like he's trying a new food, lol. I have to keep swatting mine away. I must taste good to him I guess :p

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish that bites me is my 1" long bicolor blenny, my female maroon is a total wimp...

Craig Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, a clown... nothing crazy but loves to swim around my hand and arm while I wipe down the glass of siphon the water. There are those times when she knows I am not watching her and "doink" a little nip to remind me she's there. Always startles me ;Woot.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey if it counts my zebra moray sometimes accidentally grabs my finger when I'm feeding him. It doesn't hurt, he's really gentle and knows if the food is coming from my hand so he will slowly grab it. I find it more cute then anything else, may not count as biting, but it's close enough!

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey if it counts my zebra moray sometimes accidentally grabs my finger when I'm feeding him. It doesn't hurt, he's really gentle and knows if the food is coming from my hand so he will slowly grab it. I find it more cute then anything else, may not
count as biting, but it's close enough!

I wish I would stick my hand in a tank with an eel they are totally blind I am quite sure while trying g to work in the tank or feed they are bound to accidentally nip, pluck grab a piece of my skin.
I like my skin all parts of it

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my clown, not actively attacks me but if i let my hand sit too long gives a test nibble.

Worst biter i had was fresh water cichlids, my green terrors live up to their name. If there were eggs no maintenance was done lol.

When i owned red belly piranha they would actually school and hide on the other end of the aquarium during maintenance.

Cichlids are tough! My convicts used to attack my hands when they were breeding.

I used to hand feed my puffer until he got big enough to start cracking clam shells.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish. Especially the female. My girl attacks me the second I come near the tank.

Funny you should mention that. Some newbie on another site was talking about getting clownfish because "they are so cute" I proceeded to tell said person some of the experiences people have had with them. Finding Nemo did no favors for projecting these cute/timid little creatures that are anything but. Attractive colors and activity, but are generally buttheads once established.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish I had for several years would bite me often. Worst was between the fingers. She is gone now, sadly. Instead I have a blue chromis that will come up to my hand and peck at it. Sometimes it will sit in my hand too. Even let me pet it.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people have gotten that surprise little nip unexpectedly that caused you to pull your arm out so fast that water goes everywhere? ;Woot

I had a very personable undulate trigger once, in his own tank, that I would feed by hand. One day, after the food was gone, I had kept my hand in the tank for some reason and he got agitated and chomped on my finger suddenly. I pulled back, and sent him flying 6' across the room onto the floor. Picked him up, put him back, he shook himself off and honestly he never bit me again.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a very personable undulate trigger once, in his own tank, that I would feed by hand. One day, after the food was gone, I had kept my hand in the tank for some reason and he got agitated and chomped on my finger suddenly. I pulled back, and sent him flying 6' across the room onto the floor. Picked him up, put him back, he shook himself off and honestly he never bit me again.

LOL. LOL. This one made me laugh big time.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picasso clown nips a lot but also loves to be pet.... odd fish. She's old and big but loves me to rub her Sid and if I stop I'm nipped. Also have a starry Benny does the same, but harmless. Flamehawk will swim up and land on my hand and just sit there for a few seconds occasionally. First time that happened caught me a bit off guard.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gold line and two shark nose cleaner gobies. The big female shark nose has recently taken a liking to my arm, the other two couldn’t care less about me. I can feel her gently moving around on the back of it pretty frequently, and sometimes what I think are small nips. That’s all well and good, I mostly tune it out, but every 5 or 10 minutes she suddenly takes a good quick nip or several in rapid succession, and sometimes scares the heck out of me. Definitely thinks I’m a big fish and she’s doing me a favor, but dang girl, give a man a rest!

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my fish bite/nip at me - pair of semilarvatus butterflies, moorish idol, dogface puffer, pair of tinkeri butterflies, goldflake angel, even my regal angel. It's my fault though since I feed them by hand quite often. They mainly bite/nip because they think my fingers/hand/arm are food, not because they are being territorial.

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomato clown that used to claim the whole tank attacking anything that moved, especially hands. That was before the yellow tang went in and put her in her place. No noticeable aggression in the tank since.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back