Fish that bite!!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My puffer and triggers (well now only one) will come bite my fingers if I do not let the food go quickly enough or they think I am feeding. It does not hurt though. Just shocks me a bit. My clowns, well, clowns are what they are. Bad to the bone territorial. I did get stung by my rabbitfish the other day. I was transporting it to qt and it jumped out of the bucket, spines out, right in the thumb near the nail bed. Great aim. I yelled a lot for 45 minutes. Hot water is a savior for those stings.

enaldy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown fish that by the end of everything I had to give it away... it was sad but needed to be done.

It was very territorial in my BioCube... one day I was cleaning it and something went out of place I put my hand inside the the tank and the fish went straight for my hand... since I was not expecting it and was looking away, I pulled my hand out of the tank really fast ( and my office table is close to the tank) and got my laptop all wet and it was out for good (it was a expensive one).

After that there was no fun on keeping it anymore so I gave it away... I told the guy if you wanted, you can have it but it's bites!!!

Couple weeks after that he sent me a message that it was biting him!!!

[emoji39][emoji4]

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one (of 3) azure damsel that flat out does not like my hand in the tank.

To small to hurt yet but fins up and mouth open trying to bite me every time. They could care less about the other fish.

E27A8084-2DC4-4C79-83F3-06930BB8FDD7.jpeg

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i owned red belly piranha they would actually school and hide on the other end of the aquarium during maintenance.

Same experience I had. 6 red bellies in a 75g tank. When I brought them home, they were the size of a quarter. When I sold them, they were the length of a mans hand and 1" thick. They were always huddled in the opposite corner anytime I put my hand in the tank or vaccumed the gravel. Messy fish and stinky tank. Never again. They don't eat the heads and fins. So every morning I had to use a net and scoop up the remains of last nights dinner.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully, my Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, Melanurus Wrasse, Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, One Spot Foxface and Pajama Cardinal all leave me alone. Although strangely enough the most fearless around people is my Leopard Wrasse. When I periodically do toothbrush cleanings of the rock it will hang out a few inches from my hand and just watch and observe (while the others hid in their caves). Crossing my fingers that the Foxface doesn't decide to use me as a pincushion as it gets older though. :eek:

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish jumped out of the tank trying to attack me several times. I now have to net him and put him in the sump before I can clean the tank. The female will nip at me but the male comes to the surface to attack the moment I lift off the top. Makes him easy to net.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I had a large tank had a Clown trigger I was not paying attention and I was busy cleaning it took a large chunk out of the back of my arm bleed a lot and I mean a lot. Lol

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, all the biting fish. Triggers are often biters over here. Others mostly just territorial attacks, not drawing blood.

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting up a 200 gallon and I wanted 2 sets of clowns, rethinking this at the moment. funny thing my first tank was a 50 gallon and I had clowns and they never bit me or even came close to my hand

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a couple of tangs try to swipe me with their scalpel, but no biting. My cleaner wrasse must think my arm is a big fish and tries to clean it, but not biting really. Not unusual when I'm putting in a pinch of dry food for the unicorn tang to get a bit ahead of himself. Doesn't hurt though.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blue Spot Puffer is the worst. Usually when a fish attacks my hand in a tank, I go back at it (playfully) and chase it away so they learn not to do that over time. But I think my little puffer is "special" in the head, lol. I have to keep shoeing him away because he keeps coming back to bite my arm, repeatedly, like I'm real food that he's trying to eat. He even angles himself perpendicular to my arm so he can get the right bite in. And that little guy has his beak teeth that get irritating after a few chomps on me.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had many biting clowns over the years, too! Aggressive little buggers!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny. My current Sailfin is one of my 'swipers' and I'll flick him with my finger if I can. Too stupid to get the message though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back