Fish that don't need regular feeding

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the species that don't require regular feeding rather on sustaining themselves on algae and pods naturally occuring in a reef tank? I have a tank that's about 80 gallons. Currently have a yellow blue damsel. The tank is only fed once a week or two weeks. The feeding is rather to add some nutrients for the corals than for the fish. The damsel seems to be doing great under such feeding regime for the last 4 months. I know dragonets are able to survive without feeding assuming the tank has enough pods. I have bought a small pigmy angel (let's hope it survives it was bullied for a few hours by the damsel until I relocated the later to the sump). It picks on the glass all the time. How about royal grammas? Looking to add a couple of small fish to the tank.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the species that don't require regular feeding rather on sustaining themselves on algae and pods naturally occuring in a reef tank? I have a tank that's about 80 gallons. Currently have a yellow blue damsel. The tank is only fed once a week or two weeks. The feeding is rather to add some nutrients for the corals than for the fish. The damsel seems to be doing great under such feeding regime for the last 4 months. I know dragonets are able to survive without feeding assuming the tank has enough pods. I have bought a small pigmy angel (let's hope it survives it was bullied for a few hours by the damsel until I relocated the later to the sump). It picks on the glass all the time. How about royal grammas? Looking to add a couple of small fish to the tank.
dragonets often starve because there aren't enough pods, and to keep them healthy is often a very intensive 'labor of love' feeding daily. Great thread, directions in post #9:

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of royal grammas they tend to hide alot tho. And mine have been peaceful too. But they are nice fish.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there are fish that will eat algea and pods throughout the day, I don't think you will find anyone that recommends not feeding the fish in your tank.
Why would you not want to feed your fish, it in my opinion one of the more enjoyable parts of the hobby?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say most fish can go extended periods without starving. I had a friend who fed his clownfish once a week and they lived for years. Of course mine which were bought several months later ended up 3 times the size. In other words just because you can does not mean it good for them.

I mean a dog can survive being fed every other day...but would you want to do that?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say most fish can go extended periods without starving. I had a friend who fed his clownfish once a week and they lived for years. Of course mine which were bought several months later ended up 3 times the size. In other words just because you can does not mean it good for them.

I mean a dog can survive being fed every other day...but would you want to do that?
I agree.
There is a huge difference between surviving and thriving.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue stripe pipefish, Mandarins, Ruby red dragonettes, scooter bleenies (which are really dragonettes.
I have all those fish and they fend for themselves and all of them spawn.

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you want to feed your fish according to schedule? Mandarins, wild caught ones at least, need a very stable tank with a large pod population. Just about anything else needs to be fed.
I took some extend trips and my daughter stopped by to feed my tank once a week or sometimes longer. In anticipation of the trips I sold all my fish except one damsel which I could not catch. I found it has not only survived but even thrived because it started to exhibit more nature behavior like I have seem in the wild. I like this. I had a Mandarin for a long time in my then 105 gallon tank and it was doing very well. It never ate anything I put in the tank.

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue stripe pipefish, Mandarins, Ruby red dragonettes, scooter bleenies (which are really dragonettes.
I have all those fish and they fend for themselves and all of them spawn.
I forgot about pipefish. Certainly one of the fish I have not kept but always wanted to. I guess it will compete with the pygme angel for pods.

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on rainfordi goby, tailspot blenny (or any small species of blennies)? Maybe a 6 line wrasse?

What about these tiny neon gobies that perch on the huge favia colonies in the Caribbeans? What do they eat?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about pipefish. Certainly one of the fish I have not kept but always wanted to. I guess it will compete with the pygme angel for pods.
If you have pods you will have enough for many fish. I have all of those fish eating pods and have not ran out. If any of those fish are spawning, you can be assured you have enough pods.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is simply a maintenance issue I would get an auto feeder. Some are only around $30. There are plenty of fish that can survive on pellets alone.

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is simply a maintenance issue I would get an auto feeder. Some are only around $30. There are plenty of fish that can survive on pellets alone.
I actually have one made by Eheim. But have always fed the tank frozen. When I am out I don't run a skimmer or any other nutrient export methods. So can't feed too much.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back