OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Pleas get a copper test kit. The one that tests your copper. Ammonia testing is important. Please do not put anything porous is the hospital tank as it will absorb and lower copper concentration. Copper must be effective at all times during therapy or the clock restarts. There must be no fish in display left for 74 days. Tank and hospital tank should be more than 10 ft apart. If display water makes into hospital tank the clock on the hospital tank restarts. Good luck. Thanks for trusting the big boys (no I am not one of those big boys).
I have matrix by seachem and I sponge filter I hope that’s okay I def took out the carbon I just get worried about ammonia and the box fish I don’t want him to get stressed because my worst fear about him is getting stressed and killing everything but they have been eating sea weed so I hope they aren’t supper stressed I love my box fish he’s so awesome!

OP
OP
kenziejlooft

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I am so worried I set up my qt tank and the ammonia in it is .25!!! Before water change it was .50 what should I do I have been adding prime the copper level is .25 from copper safe the only fish that seemed stressed was my clown I thought it was dead it was laying on my seaweed clip lifeless looking I went to touch it and it was swimming normal :( any advice

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I am so worried I set up my qt tank and the ammonia in it is .25!!! Before water change it was .50 what should I do I have been adding prime the copper level is .25 from copper safe the only fish that seemed stressed was my clown I thought it was dead it was laying on my seaweed clip lifeless looking I went to touch it and it was swimming normal :( any advice
Having just recently purchasing a used setup in May and having to go through this I feel you. I’ve actually had to do two rounds with my clowns. First round I took all 3 (all the fish) out and put them in QT and ran Cupramine to the T from June 6th through August, mid August I noticed a few more spots, so I restarted the treatment timeframe. From August to Late October went well (no spots) then I removed the Cupramine for an additional 2 weeks. Saw nothing so I assumed all was well and since my main display was fallow for so long I assumed everything was gone from there too. I reintroduced them to the tank, two days later a couple dozen more spots, so either Ich has a longer lifespan in the main tank than documented or more likely I have a copper resistant strain and two rounds of Cupramine didn’t kill them and only came back when I stressed them moving them back. Have them in QT again now used Paraguard for 28 days and now I’m monitoring until New Years before returning them again. So far so good. If you are concerned about your cycle, take some media or sponge from your main display, however realize this is never to return since you’ll be medicating the QT tank. The media will also be treated so no worries. Do more water changes until the bacteria catches up. Best of luck.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular 10% water changes every day and vacuum up any uneaten food.

Keep cooper in correct level.

Feed high protein pellets if possible, but feed well.

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what's in your DT, once you take the fish out to treat with copper, you can get away with 2 weeks of fallow @ 87 degrees (NOT if you have things in the tank like inverts or corals), OR you can shorten the fallow period to 6 weeks if you turn up the temp slightly above 80 degrees.

Check out humblefish's forum (now on his own site) for more details/checking accuracy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Vetteguy can you share your experience with it? How did you dose (dissolve or dump), how much, how long, any negative effects.... I am using it now but only on second day.
It’s a powder that you mix with tank water. I don’t have qt tank so added to my display as it is deemed reef safe. My issue was resolved in 4 days but I continued 4 more days. Been about 10 months and never had a reoccurrence

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a powder that you mix with tank water. I don’t have qt tank so added to my display as it is deemed reef safe. My issue was resolved in 4 days but I continued 4 more days. Been about 10 months and never had a reoccurrence
Did you use the minimum or max dose? Added when lights off or on?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you use the minimum or max dose? Added when lights off or on?
Added during day as time for me was of essence and full dose first three days and 75% remaining treatments.
Began when I introduced powder blue tang(what a surprise)
Lost a couple tangs and royal gramma but no coral

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did 10 days of reef medic and has been a week since last dose. I don’t know if it was the medic or it was not ich to begin with, but no signs have come back. I doubt it was ich but I’ll keep an eye on the fish.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what's in your DT, once you take the fish out to treat with copper, you can get away with 2 weeks of fallow @ 87 degrees (NOT if you have things in the tank like inverts or corals), OR you can shorten the fallow period to 6 weeks if you turn up the temp slightly above 80 degrees.

Check out humblefish's forum (now on his own site) for more details/checking accuracy.
Turning up the heat is for freashwater ick, not salt.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add the link if a major change has been discovered?
If increasing temp for saltwater ick reduces fallow period by 80%, this would be an important discovery for everyone.
We are not allowed to post such links to other forums I do not believe.

The heat does not kill ich so it’s not useful for treating fish IN the tank like FW ich but it does speed up the fallow process.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back