Fish you will never keep... Nope Fish

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ONE fish that I will never spend money on is the Conspicuous Angel. My wife and I are both artists and we just don't understand what the hype is for this fish? it is both overpriced and very underwhelming in appearance. I would probably pay $80 tops for this fish based on appearance, but not with anymore zeros tacked onto the price tag.

I mean let's be honest, for a fraction of the price you get something 10X more beautiful in almost any other pomacanthus fish.
What is the point of adding this?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sohal Tangs due to the crazy insane stories I've heard about them.

Lionfish...not a fan since they became a hazard in the wild.

SixtyFeetUnder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say any damsel (aggression) or designer clowns. Not a fan of breeding programs designed to make beautiful natural clownfish look like modern art splatter paintings.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tangs! I don't know why everyone loves these so much but I cannot stand them. To each their own.

As for triggers, I wish I could put some into my reef but I like having inverts in there too... so I have my triggers (humu, assassi) in the lagoon which is a connected 75 gallon (just up-sized) loaded with anemones, softies, and LPS. I LOVE triggers so it's great to have them again. I may add a third (R. rectangulus) in a couple months.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple dottyback. If satan was a fish.. I had one of these punks in my first tank and he terrorized the hell out of my diamond watchman goby to the point where he would never come out of his cave. He tried to harass everyone else in the tank, but thankfully they could fend him off.

One more - blue green chromis.. Had a group of these guys that basically turned in to a battle royale of who could kill who fastest. That and uronema basically dropped the school from 5 to 2 in a matter of weeks.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Purple dottyback. If satan was a fish.. I had one of these punks in my first tank and he terrorized the hell out of my diamond watchman goby to the point where he would never come out of his cave. He tried to harass everyone else in the tank, but thankfully they could fend him off.

One more - blue green chromis.. Had a group of these guys that basically turned in to a battle royale of who could kill who fastest. That and uronema basically dropped the school from 5 to 2 in a matter of weeks.
Had same issue

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think they are beautiful. It's the face. Admittedly, I didn't know the price until now and as much as I like them, I couldn't justify that.
I should probably rephrase what I said- I don't think there is an ugly fish out there in the hobby, but to quote you- I can't justify the price tag for what this fish has to offer.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel quite the opposite. Seeing them in person, there's something unique and intangible about Conspics that sets them apart from other large Pomacanthids, for me. Be it personality, or just an odd quizzicality to their demeanor. Yes, they have a relatively simple look compared to others, but they wear it strikingly well (especially when they're fed for color)!

I also love Masked angels, which, if you think about it, look similar, but are 3-4x as much!
Hey everyone has different taste on what's pretty and what isn't worth it. I guess it's just like our life partner, the girl/boy you might not find attractive could be a god/goddess for someone else. but man that price tag though... and yes with the black mask angel too... ouch. I used to think bandit angels are overpriced, but then compare to these, it's like nothing.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find them to be quite attractive with the white outline against the black and tan fading body, which appears to have blue highlights. The royal blue outline to the yellow mask with the white lips, just nothing looks like it, while most other large angels are gaudily coloured its took simple colours and turned them into something immaculate imo , and i think it lives up to its name and price as such. But i guess beautys in the eye of the beholder and i can see why others may find it unattractive compared to other angels.
Absolutely, beauty is in the eye of beholder. Though especially when the beauty has such a hefty price tag it really takes a very specific niche group of lovers to want to enjoy them in their home. But alas... I don't find myself to have the heart to get it even if money isn't a thing for me....

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in the 90's... paid 400 from Quality Marine

Great fish, durable and active.

Regarding the price and such things...

The Imperator is arguably a prettier fish, but is endemic to most ALL Indo-Pacific collection grounds.

This fish comes from a tiny area... and they aren't super "common" there either.

It's about being a "collector".
OK so if this fish is still $400 (+inflation from the 90's let's call it $600), I'd be much more receptive to having this fish. But I guess the combination of the price tag and the availability of more colorful peers in the poma group just makes this fish far less attractive. You are right though, having this fish does cross that line from a "hobbyist" to a "collector".

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so if this fish is still $400 (+inflation from the 90's let's call it $600), I'd be much more receptive to having this fish. But I guess the combination of the price tag and the availability of more colorful peers in the poma group just makes this fish far less attractive. You are right though, having this fish does cross that line from a "hobbyist" to a "collector".

no argument... if you disregard the collector value, nothing beats an Imperator. Get a nice Orange Tail one and it might be the most impressive fish in the sea.

Back