Fixes to main parameter balance issues

Discussion in 'Triton Applied Reef Bioscience' started by Tim@Triton, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Tim@Triton

Tim@Triton Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Solutions to "balance issues"

Scenario 1
    Alk Low
    Ca Low
    Mg Low
    Solution - Raise all equally

Scenario 2
    Alk High
    Ca High
    Mg High
    Solution - Lower all equally

Scenario 3
    Alk Ok
    Ca Ok
    Mg Ok
    Solution - Maintain dose

Scenario 4
    Alk Low
    Ca Ok
    Mg Ok
    Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON CO3 liquid buffer/NaHCO DIY Salts to raise Alk then maintain

Scenario 5
    Alk Ok
    Ca Low
    Mg Ok
    Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Calcium liquid buffer/CaCl2 DIY Salts to raise Ca then maintain

Scenario 6
    Alk Ok
    Ca Ok
    Mg Low
    Solution - Maintain dose, dose additional TRITON Magnesium liquid buffer/MgCl2 DIY Salts to raise Mg then maintain

Scenario 7
    Alk Ok
    Ca High
    Mg Ok
    Solution - Maintain dose on channels 1/3a/3b reduce dose of channel 2 until Calcium level drops to required amount.

Scenario 8
    Alk Ok
    Ca Ok
    Mg High
    Solution - Maintain dose, water change to reduce elevated Magnesium levels. (Only if Mg very high)

Scenario 9
    Alk Ok
    Ca High
    Mg High
    Solution - Check KH test for accuracy, reduce dose of all solutions, set KH to 7 and retest.

Tags:

2. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I believe I read that 3a/3b dosage can be 20% higher than the others. Plenty of tanks consume slightly more Alk than Ca (I mean consume, not testing margin of error).

If the tank can be balanced with 20% higher 3a/3b dose, is that still the recommendation or is it manually dose Alk to maintain equal dose of all 4?

3. Tim@Triton

Where did you read that?

All doses should be equal, the only exception is when Calcium is too high then number 2 can be dosed differently

rockskimmerflow likes this.
  4. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

R2R, but can't find the post now. I recall someone quoting a Triton email response when the user asked about manually adding having to add Alk every 3rd day and the email stated while all doses should be equal, 15-20% variation was allowed on 3a/3b. My memory could be faulty or the user could have had bad info. Basically trying to get away from any manual dosing on long term unequal consumption.

EDIT: This was in regard to 'other methods'

5. ervee

ervee New Member

Hi Tim,
    Is there any scenario to follow when:
    - Alk is high: 9.2
    - Ca is low: 310
    - Mg is low: 1250
    I am dosing 8ml of each solution per day. Tonight I have reduced the 3a and 3b solution from 8ml per day to 6ml per day, should I need to use Ca and Mg buffer to increase the dose ?

I am using the other method until my refugium is finished and ready for Triton.

Thank you

6. Tim@Triton

Was your salt mix low on those elements to begin with?

Double check your Alk reading for accuracy first, you can buffer Ca and Mg seperatley if you want but I would get all your main element parameters confirmed with the ICP if you haven't already before taking drastic action.

7. dirtdobber06

dirtdobber06 Active Member

So I have scenario 9 with alk around 8.2, CA 500, mg 1600 (confirmation with icp should be done in next day or two. I haven't been dosing Core 7 1 for 1.5 or 2 months because the mg has been high. I have been doing water changes with red sea pro every 2 weeks. I am using the other methods core product because I had bad cyano and probably bryopsis growing strong with triton method core product. My chaeto isn't growing. I don't yet have enough flow through the sump and I recently switched from a sb relight on sump to a t5.
    120 gallon tank with trigger triton sump.

What do you advise?

8. dirtdobber06

Well triton says mg is 1800! Calcium is 532. Potassium is 550. I think I am going to go back to brs 2 part. This is too complicated.

9. dirtdobber06

Well triton says mg is 1800! Calcium is 532. Potassium is 550. I think I am going to go back to brs 2 part. This is too complicated.

10. Land Shark

Land Shark Valuable Member R2R Supporter Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

Hey Tim, I've been running Core7 for 5 weeks now. Alk tonight is 8.0, Ca is 440 and Mg is 1500. Should I be worried about the Mg level at 1500? I think all is good but thought I'd ask. Thank you sir!

Draft saved Draft deleted