Flatworms

• Thread starter reef-nut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I need help with flatworms. I have asked before, but I think its time to act. I see them crawling on my rics, palys and even my hammer. They do not seem to hurt anything, but are getting worse. I have been told to use flatworm exit. Is it completely reef safe? Has anyone ever lost a coral of any kind using it? I read that the body fluid of the flatworm is toxic to reefs in a high dose. It would probably take a lot of them to die to do that, right? I do not know if there is different ones or not, but they are little flat brown ablong critters. I have found 2 on my glass and they smash real easy with my finger. I have siphoned several off my ricordea, but there is to many to keep doing that. Please help!

Teeka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a whole lot treating your tank can be toxic. In my opion it is best to get the 6 line wrasse. Just remember they are an aggressive fish.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
siphon out as many as you can then do the flatworm exit it is very easy do the water change after then do another treatment in 48 hours but be sure to siphon out as many as possible i thought i had most of them out of my tank and when i did flatworm exit but there were a bunch that died when when i treated it worked great though. i actually did a third treatment just for peace of mind on a 320 gal tank didnt want to do again later. i think treating is the only way to get rid of them for good and not have to worry about them any more. good luck

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six-line wrasses and springer's damsels will both eat them, and any bristleworms you might have as well. Generally, the flat-worms don't pose a problem, but they are unsightly. I'd start with a flat-worm eating fish and see if that controls them to a point you can live with. If not, then siphon out as many as possible and dose with Flatworm Exit. I have heard reports of some corals dying after using FE, but my guess is that those corals were already diseased or there were a ton of flatworms in there. After dosing it's also advisable to run extra carbon once you start seeing the flatworms die. This will absorb any toxins they might release into your tank. I've never had a problem with six-line wrasses being too aggressive, and they do stay small so they're nice for a smaller tank. Springer's damsels are a "calm" damsel, but they still have the damsel attitude. I'd go with the wrasse unless your other fish can put the damsels in their place.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Coris Wrasse. Don't even think twice about getting one. They LOVE flatworms. My friend just got an infested piece of live rock with somone and they soon took over his tank. We got him a yellow coris wrasse and it ate so many flatworms that its belly actually turned brownish red. You could see them through his skin. His tank looks so much better now and the wrasse always has this giant belly because it basically eats them all day long. Good Luck! I have one in both my main tank and nano and will definately be getting a 3rd when i set up my new tank.

Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse as well as The Red tail version will also devour them. It's part of thier natural diet in the wild.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I siphoned them today and only found about nine. I do not think there is a lot of them, yet. I think one good dose of the FE should do the trick. What do you think?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is your tank? Lots of them hide in crevices in your live rock, but from the sounds of it a dose of FE should do it. It's potent stuff. The tiny bottle in the box treats a lot of water.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Every one says that if enough of them died that it could hurt your coral. How many is that? Hundreds or just 20 or 30? My tank is a 90 gallon.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank your size you'd need hundreds to die off before it hurt you. Make sure to run extra carbon in your filter just in case. Better to spend $10 in carbon and be safe.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
What do these little boogers actually do to your coral? I have seen them crawl around for a couple weeks, but see no damage at all.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't really do much of anything to the coral other than block some light from getting to them.

ReefArtist

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the directions and you will be fine. Unless you treat your system you will have them. Please as long as you knowing have them do not trade with other reefers (I know a lot of reefers that do this). Just treat your tank and make sure you have carbon on hand and all will be good. I had to treat my old 75g and I didn't have a problem at all. Last month I ended up having to treat my 575g system (Yes it costed me lots!!). Some do not die with the basic dose and you have to double up on the dose to get all of them - just watch after about 45 minutes to see if they are dead - if not treat again. This is with Flat worm exit - seems to work great for me.

djzackfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw a melunaris wrasse at my lfs eat flat worms off frags in the owners hand...
he had disposed of all the flatworms in the frag tank and anticcipated new frags for more tasty snacks

FloridaBoy704

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another note about flatworms. For every one you see there are many more you dont. The do hide in the LR. I have a tank with flatworms as well. I bought a sixline to eat them but so far hes just focused on my pods. I may end up trying the yellow coris wrasse in the end. I dont trust FWE either.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously I have used FWE a couple times on 2 different tanks and I have never had an issue.

djzackfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am trying to rid my fuge of flatworms, i just acclimated a yellow coris wrasse
he spent 24 hours burried in the sandbed. day 2 i have noticed a 10 percent decrease in my flatworms. he is also destroying my pod population. as soon as the flatworms are gone he will be transferred to my display tank or back to the lfs.
I noticed his snout looks a little pale. almost worn is this common. i suspest its from picking at the live rock.

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hundreds.. if they aren't unsightly then there is no way they are going to cause a problem. FE would be a fine option for your current situation.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back