Flesh bubbles on Favia.

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what these bubbles are? They have been there for over a month.
IMG_20170509_181351520.jpg

OP
OP
Troy V

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 7 months have gone by since I removed the first bubble. It took a long time to recover, and the eyes where I popped it are still not normal. However I let the one on the backside of the Favia continue to grow and it looks like it is creating a new daughter colony next to it.

On the lower left you can see the scare from where I tried to pop it.
21266.jpeg

This is the backside of the colony where I left it alone. It looks to me light it is developing eyes to eventually split.
21264.jpeg

Anyone else experience this? I have had Favias "drip" daughter colonies, but never like this.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Dragon Soul? I just got a frag with 5 eyes and I noticed that as the lights start to dim I get a few small bubbles that form. By the next day they are gone. I thought maybe air got trapped in its very thick skeleton and is working its way out but now I am not so sure since the bubbles form like clockwork every night. Does that sound similar to how’s yours started? I’m just trying to see if I should pop them now while they are small or if they will get bigger if I dont.

Thanks, John

AE9EAC98-8F19-4EB4-A54F-08926AED0FBB.jpeg

OP
OP
Troy V

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is a Dragon Soul. It looks like yours hasn't entirely encrusted the fragment its on. I think yours is making new mouths. Mine did this quite frequently until it encrusted the entire plug and had no where else to spread. Then I started noticing the bubbles on the coral and not just on the edges but in the center of the coral. I have found that you definitely want to leave it alone. I am not sure mine will ever recover where the I popped the bubble.

OP
OP
Troy V

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen this. Anyone know if a high flow environment has anything to with it, or just gas under the skin? Do you have high flow in the aquarium where this occurred? Just curious.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the advancedaquarist bit and it looks the same.

OP
OP
Troy V

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen this. Anyone know if a high flow environment has anything to with it, or just gas under the skin? Do you have high flow in the aquarium where this occurred? Just curious.

I would say its low to moderate flow. Originally I figured it was gas under the skin as well. That is why I didn't really mind popping it.

Here is the placement in the aquarium. I have an MP40 on the second to lowest setting moving the water, and a very low flow return. maybe 150 gph through 2-1/2 return nozzles. If I go any high than that it seems to irritate the tube anemones, and they wont open all the way.

IMG_20170814_183417061.jpg

OP
OP
Troy V

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m experiencing the same thing but with a chalice. I’ll have to check out that article.
995804B1-8438-4DBE-9CD8-9111B1B2E51A.jpeg

Not sure what to think about that. I've had many chalices over the years, some the size of dinner plates. Never had one do that though. Leave it alone and report its progress so we can all learn.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely odd, the dimple you can see in the pic is what looks like would have been an eye. It’s not gas, it deflates when disturbed and reinflates when it’s happy. It’s been there for a few months now.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I came across this thread as I've got the same issue and was not sure what to think of it.

At first I thought it's its guts but it's not coming directly from its mouths, but rather from in between the heads. I have searched the forums but couldn't find anything that points out to what this could be.

Coral hasn't otherwise changed in any other way, still has polyps out when feeding at night, colors are okay, not deflated etc.

korali-2018-01-30-03.jpg

OP
OP
Troy V

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing. Keep us updated on it's developments. It would be nice to have chronical of different LPS reproduction pics. So people don't make the same mistake I did.

OP
OP
Troy V

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25021.jpeg

25025.jpeg

So its been a year and slowly that bubble is now a small colony. Looks like I have a couple of more potential colonies are in the pipeline.

Lets see the progression of the other corals that were pictured in this thread, or some new pics that others have taken. It would be interesting to see how specific LPS coral multiply.

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 7 months have gone by since I removed the first bubble. It took a long time to recover, and the eyes where I popped it are still not normal. However I let the one on the backside of the Favia continue to grow and it looks like it is creating a new daughter colony next to it.

On the lower left you can see the scare from where I tried to pop it.
21266.jpeg

This is the backside of the colony where I left it alone. It looks to me light it is developing eyes to eventually split.
21264.jpeg

Anyone else experience this? I have had Favias "drip" daughter colonies, but never like this.

Thanks for following up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back