GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights done. Light intensity is set low for acclimation with corals. I'm now running 395 UV's, so slow and steady. It's "more crisp" looking to me in person than what the pictures show.

DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0095.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

I love it.

I looks great Don,

Glad thinks went smooth and thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind:
How old was your leds, before you replaced them?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did 20g last night plus 10g fw rodi for the ato. ZzZzZzZz

Water change done. Had to order new tires for my wife's car. I need them soon too, in a couple months.

Now to change the water in the beta tanks. Grandkids have betas.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looks great Don,

Glad thinks went smooth and thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind:
How old was your leds, before you replaced them?

Whites since 2016, blues around two years.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure I should post this here too, since not everyone will go on the "modded black box" thread. Anyone that has LED's on their tank should understand what's going on:

"Maybe @Dana Riddle can chime in on this as I haven't heard much of anything spoken on this subject. At least in the hobby. LED's will degrade. They may light close to the manufacturers claims of hours of use before they "burn out", but there will be a decrease in intensity and will color shift.

This is VERY important to us in the hobby, not so much in household lighting.

LED's degrade very slowly, so slow that we don't notice the decrease in intensity and color shift. Our corals will adjust to this slowly over time, to a point. This all has to do with heat and its effects on diodes. Cracks, delamination and heat effects on the phosphor coatings placed on the surface of these chips to achieve the color.

THIS HAPPENS TO ALL REEF LED FIXTURES. HIGH-END TO CHEAP FIXTURES!

With anything we buy, more expensive manufacturers of fixtures may use better manufacturing techniques and materials, but in time they will loose intensity and experience color shift. It's just going to happen.

Manufacturers of these fixtures, especially high end/expensive, regularly release "next gen" models in hopes that you will upgrade to them. As they don't sell replacement parts, led PCB boards, led diodes, drivers......etc. We've all seen this where owners will sell their "last gen" fixtures to help buy the "next gen" fixtures. Anyway, you get the picture.

Refreshing a PCB board with new leds, say every couple years will keep your corals happy and save you money in the long run!"

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I figure I should post this here too, since not everyone will go on the "modded black box" thread. Anyone that has LED's on their tank should understand what's going on:

"Maybe @Dana Riddle can chime in on this as I haven't heard much of anything spoken on this subject. At least in the hobby. LED's will degrade. They may light close to the manufacturers claims of hours of use before they "burn out", but there will be a decrease in intensity and will color shift.

This is VERY important to us in the hobby, not so much in household lighting.

LED's degrade very slowly, so slow that we don't notice the decrease in intensity and color shift. Our corals will adjust to this slowly over time, to a point. This all has to do with heat and its effects on diodes. Cracks, delamination and heat effects on the phosphor coatings placed on the surface of these chips to achieve the color.

THIS HAPPENS TO ALL REEF LED FIXTURES. HIGH-END TO CHEAP FIXTURES!

With anything we buy, more expensive manufacturers of fixtures may use better manufacturing techniques and materials, but in time they will loose intensity and experience color shift. It's just going to happen.

Manufacturers of these fixtures, especially high end/expensive, regularly release "next gen" models in hopes that you will upgrade to them. As they don't sell replacement parts, led PCB boards, led diodes, drivers......etc. We've all seen this where owners will sell their "last gen" fixtures to help buy the "next gen" fixtures. Anyway, you get the picture.

Refreshing a PCB board with new leds, say every couple years will keep your corals happy and save you money in the long run!"

Excellent feedback! Thanks for sharing! I'm assuming that you would be able to see the difference over time with a PAR meter?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent feedback! Thanks for sharing! I'm assuming that you would be able to see the difference over time with a PAR meter?

This should be the case. Especially around the 10,000 hour range. One would need to measure when new and measure a year, at second year....etc. Intensity would be easier to measure, the color shift is a different story.

The tank looks amazing Don. Fantastic large established corals.

Thank you Cheryl! It's a pleasure seeing your post!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the knowledge sir.

I suppose my numbers are lower under the pur and par readings I have done in comparison to the brand new fixtures from a.i... this will definitely go on my maintenance list in the years to come.

Thanks again.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This should be the case. Especially around the 10,000 hour range. One would need to measure when new and measure a year, at second year....etc. Intensity would be easier to measure, the color shift is a different story.

Thank you for the feedback. How would you measure the color to determine a color shift over time?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback. How would you measure the color to determine a color shift over time?

With a spectroradiometer. I don't think we as hobbyist would or could afford one. They run several thousand dollars.

Taking what is reported from the lighting industry, they loose intensity and color shift with time.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With a spectroradiometer. I don't think we as hobbyist would or could afford one. They run several thousand dollars.

Taking what is reported from the lighting industry, they loose intensity and color shift with time.

That makes sense. Thank you for the response!

Edit: If I understand correctly a spectroradiometer measure the nanometer (nm) level of the light. Is this correct?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. Thank you for the response!

Edit: If I understand correctly a spectroradiometer measure the nanometer (nm) level of the light. Is this correct?

Yes

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What thermal paste did you use? I was thinking of Gelid GC-extreme.
Sorry with all the questions but I'm not that familiar with leds.
Thanks,

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Although after reading it, there is no need if mars aqua is smd.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I'm looking at my tank and thinking something is missing. Shimmer. I didn't put any of my lenses back on during my diode replacement. Pulled a fixture, one by one, and added six lenses over the 13000k's. Shimmer is back! I'm very pleased with the look.

Corals are doing very well and go figure, the big montipora has its white edges back. Like it needs to grow anymore! Wife said I've got to do something with it and the monster toadstool. She said they are going to grow out of the tank! Lol

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I'm looking at my tank and thinking something is missing. Shimmer. I didn't put any of my lenses back on during my diode replacement. Pulled a fixture, one by one, and added six lenses over the 13000k's. Shimmer is back! I'm very pleased with the look.

Corals are doing very well and go figure, the big montipora has its white edges back. Like it needs to grow anymore! Wife said I've got to do something with it and the monster toadstool. She said they are going to grow out of the tank! Lol
Thanks showing me the block box thread. I looked before and didn't find it.

What decision did you make about your sand? Did you add the Fiji pink?

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks showing me the block box thread. I looked before and didn't find it.

What decision did you make about your sand? Did you add the Fiji pink?

Your welcome!

Caribsea aragonite special grade.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back