NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well diode replacement is on for tomorrow. 165 diodes, 330 solder contacts. Most likely will take a couple days.
Go get’em, tiger! I mean, Flipper!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss soldering pcb's and making EC's on the fly. Microscope took a while to get used to, but it was a great experience. Wish I had more confidence and just try a reef-pi or something.

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may attempt starting on them now, Ive got a oil change appointment tomorrow morning at 7:00am at the Honda dealership. Free Starbucks is a nice treat while I wait. Then home and it's on like Donkey Kong diode swap.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss soldering pcb's and making EC's on the fly. Microscope took a while to get used to, but it was a great experience. Wish I had more confidence and just try a reef-pi or something.

Ha! I miss the days of thimble size components and wide open pcb’s.. no microscope, flow table or steady hand required ;) brings back fond memories of my heath kit days.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I miss the days of thimble size components and wide open pcb’s.. no microscope, flow table or steady hand required ;) brings back fond memories of my heath kit days.
I was working with components that were 2mm x 2mm and the tolerances on my solder points were .005" per NASA spec J standards. Couldnt do this stuff without microscopes. Ha

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was working with components that were 2mm x 2mm and the tolerances on my solder points were .005" per NASA spec J standards. Couldnt do this stuff without microscopes. Ha

Oh I know. I work under microscopes all day, soldering tiny distal windows on ridged optical scopes. These can not leak in a autoclave. When I made forceps for eye surgery, most of my career in medical instruments, there was tolerances common around .001"+/-. Most made out of TI.

Hand making anything with tolerances that tight, you need nerves of steel and a tons of patience.

Replacing these is like a walk in the park with a dark bag over you head and one hand tied behind your back while in a deep sleep upside down. :p

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know. I work under microscopes all day, soldering tiny distal windows on ridged optical scopes. These can not leak in a autoclave. When I made forceps for eye surgery, most of my career in medical instruments, there was tolerances common around .001"+/-. Most made out of TI.

Hand making anything with tolerances that tight, you need nerves of steel and a tons of patience.

Replacing these is like a walk in the park with a dark bag over you head and one hand tied behind your back while in a deep sleep upside down. :p
Sounds about right! Did u by chance measure par or anything with the fading diodes? Ya know, to see the difference or anything? Just curious. I like before and afters.:)

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds about right! Did u by chance measure par or anything with the fading diodes? Ya know, to see the difference or anything? Just curious. I like before and afters.:)

Haven't started this project yet. At the car dealer still. Slow as "blank". I am drinking as much Starbucks as my bladder can hold to get my money's worth! o_O

I'll have to use my lux meter once done and do the conversion to set intensity to get close.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RichtheReefer21, you work in the aerospace industry?

Yes. I was laid off in october following a merge between United Technologies Aerospace Systems and Rockwell Collins Aerospace. I was employed by UTC. A reorganization followed the merger, and they worked their way down the ladder to hourly, and my Union couldnt save 6% of us.

I worked primarily on life support systems for the ISS, Orion Mars probe, the entire spacesuit, Boeing's CST100 Starliner, and Parker Solar Probe (in helioorbit between Venus and the Sun right now. I believe it's on orbit #6 of 28 mission-planned now)

Was a great experience. But I'm on the fence about whether I shouldn't have taken the promotion from commercial & military MRO avionics. I was top 100 seniority in that job code, I gave it up to have the chance to be a part of human space exploration.

The geeky kid in me wasnt passing it up. Oh well, will be a great story for my grand dogs.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't started this project yet. At the car dealer still. Slow as "blank". I am drinking as much Starbucks as my bladder can hold to get my money's worth! o_O

I'll have to use my lux meter once done and do the conversion to set intensity to get close.
V-tech takes time bruh! :D

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I was laid off in october following a merge between United Technologies Aerospace Systems and Rockwell Collins Aerospace. I was employed by UTC. A reorganization followed the merger, and they worked their way down the ladder to hourly, and my Union couldnt save 6% of us.

I worked primarily on life support systems for the ISS, Orion Mars probe, the entire spacesuit, Boeing's CST100 Starliner, and Parker Solar Probe (in helioorbit between Venus and the Sun right now. I believe it's on orbit #6 of 28 mission-planned now)

Was a great experience. But I'm on the fence about whether I shouldn't have taken the promotion from commercial & military MRO avionics. I was top 100 seniority in that job code, I gave it up to have the chance to be a part of human space exploration.

The geeky kid in me wasnt passing it up. Oh well, will be a great story for my grand dogs.

I wouldn't have passed it up either. Working for Boeing aerospace or Space X would be a dream job for me. I'm a space nerd.

I was watching a series of videos lately by some silicon valley computer nerds repairing one of the AGC's for the Apollo spacecraft recently. MIT knew their stuff back then. Rope memory and potted circuit modules where crazy stuff back then.

Of course I follow Space X on a regular basis. SLS is taking too long to get to flight! Over budget as well. Hope they straighten out the program soon!

OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light OR is prepped. I just need to scrub in and anesthetize the patient. Lol

IMG_20190803_100208.jpg

IMG_20190803_100222.jpg

IMG_20190803_100234.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
F

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like they might try to eat your diodes.

Zach, they are fully trained, qualified and experienced in this kind of operation. I have full confidence in my staff. Lol

I would be more concerned about drooling all over everything than eating parts! :p

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zach, they are fully trained, qualified and experienced in this kind of operation. I have full confidence in my staff. Lol

I would be more concerned about drooling all over everything than eating parts! :p
Back in the day, I had a dog, and let me tell you, that dog would eat ANYTHING! If that dog were here today helping you, it'd eat all your electronics and poop out a new computer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back