Float Valve Failure; any insights?

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preface: I know float valves can fail and shouldn’t be completely relied upon. However in the years since I started reefing my old containers and floats never had an issue; I always felt comfortable trusting them overnight at least. This new setup though….

I can’t figure out why my RODI container float valve failed and I’m hoping someone has some insights.

I have a float valve (just a regular plastic one) on a Brute in a fish room with an ATK pump inside. A siphon forms from the Brute to the tank, so I have a siphon break above the water line. The float is fairly new; however, I’ve successfully made about 3 batches of water without issues. Only change to the system since the last batch was adding in a triple TDS meter and the ATK pump. RODI does have a pressure shut off switch.

I set it to fill overnight and first thing in the morning noticed a high sensor alarm on my sump (this is right at the level of the sump’s float- so that backup float did its job). In the fish room the Brute was overflowing, the siphon break was submerged at that level, and the floor was wet (but probably not as wet as if the float didn’t work at all; no way to know for sure).

After removing some water from the Brute and turning the RODI back on to test, not a drop comes out of the float. If I push it down the water starts, and when I let it go it completely stops; not even a drip. As long as the float is fully engaged, I can wiggle it to the left and right and nothing comes out.

Any thoughts on what happened? The ATK turning on might make some small waves at the siphon break, but shouldn’t be enough to deactivate the float. Especially once it got fuller and fuller and the float was 100% submerged. There wasn’t a back siphon; salinity is 0.0. Even though a forward siphon did form after the break was submerged, the tank’s float did its job and the water level only raised about 2” above normal level in the pump compartment. Plus a siphon still wouldn’t explain why the float decided to stop working.

After this experience I may head down the solenoid and sensor route. However, I really want to understand what could have happened here and appreciate any insights! My intention for the float is simply to have a float valve as a backup in case I forget to turn the RODI off.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rely on them as well and they have worked for years now. Probably the same plastic ones you have.
Nothing but guesses

Some "dirt" got under the seat inside the valve keeping it from shutting completely. You flushed it when checking it and removed it.

New one is defective in some nonobvious way. The only way to verify them as good is to use them and if they fail replace them.

I have sensors and a solenoid valve here for my Hydros now. I have gambled long enough.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some "dirt" got under the seat inside the valve keeping it from shutting completely. You flushed it when checking it and removed it.

New one is defective in some nonobvious way. The only way to verify them as good is to use them and if they fail replace them.

I have sensors and a solenoid valve here for my Hydros now. I have gambled long enough.
Possible but Brute and valve both are brand new. I made saltwater in this one to fill the new tank, cleaned it with vinegar, then nothing but DI since. I was careful about cleaning out plastic bits from drilling it, but I guess that could be a possible source of debris. Haven’t actually seen any bits though.
Is the arm on the actual float adjustable? I've replumbed mine and accidently moved the floats positions causing an overflow.
It is adjustable but it’s in the same position it was before. Roughly 3-4” from the top when full. Good thought though, however with water removed but the float still fully activated it’s firmly in place with the water line where I want it. I’ll double check the screw to be sure but it would have had to of loosened out of position then tightened back into position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not the adjustable float; it’s totally secure. I just can’t figure out what happened and why now it seems fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 52 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back