Flow Test - Complete - Sharing Information

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flow Test​

I ran a test yesterday and wanted to share my finding with the group. When most of us talk about the head loss on our pumps we talk about pipe, fittings, and equipment. We hardly ever talk about our nozzles and loclines. I searched for information on this and even posted about it without any responses, so I decided to run a test.

Prelude:​

My system has the Jebao DCP 15000, 4' vertical lift, 5' total pipe (PVC 1"), (1) 45, (2) 90s, & (1) swing check valve for every single test. I wish I had a flow meter to give solid data but ran the test twice for every setup for accounting human error and reaction time. My method was filling the return pump section and running the pump with all water ending in a bucket then converting gallons pumped in that time to gph.
IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

Test 1​

Ran a 1" tee to dual 1/2" reducers then dual 1/2" locline with nozzles attached on each side.
IMG_4507.jpg

This configuration resulted in 550-600gph.

Test 2​

Exact same setup as Test 1 only with nozzles removed.
IMG_4504.jpg

This configuration resulted in 700-725gph.

Test 3​

I took of the 1" tee from the previous tests and ran a 1" 45, 1" 90, then short bit of pipe
IMG_4509.jpg

This configuration resulted in 925-950gph.

Test 4​

See picture for configuration.

IMG_4510.jpg

This configuration resulted in 950-1050gph

Test 5​

See picture for configuration.
IMG_4498.jpg

IMG_4511.jpg

This configuration resulted in 1050-1075gph

Conclusion:​

When we add smaller loclines and nozzles we are sacrificing the volume of water moving between our sumps and display tank for water velocity exiting our nozzles for tank flow. I realize most of us use locline and nozzles to easily add flow to desired parts of our display tanks. However, all of us have different needs and wants for our equipment, that's what makes this hobby interesting. For those of us that want to increase gph from the sump to display, have excessive head loss, or even just want to take some strain off of our pumps this is great info.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn't know that.
I always thought it had to be install vertically.
Learn something new everyday
Thank you.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow quite a differance. we dont realize the flow we sacrifice with a few 90s and reducing pipe size. good test, hopefully members can learn from it.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what the decrease in return velocity was between the round nozzle on, just locline, and just PVC… I’m having an issue where I need to significantly decrease velocity but keep GPH, and thinking about using round nozzles (have flared currently) or just simply removing the nozzles from the locline altogether.

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what the decrease in return velocity was between the round nozzle on, just locline, and just PVC… I’m having an issue where I need to significantly decrease velocity but keep GPH, and thinking about using round nozzles (have flared currently) or just simply removing the nozzles from the locline altogether.
I did not check to feel velocity on these configurations. I did run the nozzles previously and obviously had quite a bit of velocity. I currently run straight PVC without nozzles or locline. It is a nice smooth flow that dissipates very quickly in the water. I can't feel any significant movement 6" away. It really just agitates the surface and circulates the surface water to the overflow.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not check to feel velocity on these configurations. I did run the nozzles previously and obviously had quite a bit of velocity. I currently run straight PVC without nozzles or locline. It is a nice smooth flow that dissipates very quickly in the water. I can't feel any significant movement 6" away. It really just agitates the surface and circulates the surface water to the overflow.
Any experience on flared nozzle vs round with regards to velocity?

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not personally, but I would assume the velocity would be less but more focused instead of like a sheet of water with the flare. Try taking the flared nozzle off and see how locline alone does. The round nozzle will probably be a little stronger and more focused than that.

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also put a Y on the locline to spread the flow out through 4 nozzles instead of 2. Then valve each separate line to control the flow better. Just know every valve will add some head loss if closed at all.
51808.png
32092-300x300.png

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have 4 jebao mcd10000 pumps on 1.5 inch pvc each feeding an open exit port on my closed loop. I've got huge gph movement but fairly low velocity

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have 4 jebao mcd10000 pumps on 1.5 inch pvc each feeding an open exit port on my closed loop. I've got huge gph movement but fairly low velocity
Jebao is honestly one of my favorite brands. Everyone knocks them for “stealing” designs and for how cheap they are. My pumps and powerheads have worked great so far. People act like half the stuff in their home isn’t some Chinese knockoff lol

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao is honestly one of my favorite brands. Everyone knocks them for “stealing” designs and for how cheap they are. My pumps and powerheads have worked great so far. People act like half the stuff in their home isn’t some Chinese knockoff lol
I agree. Funny thing jebao was one of the first dc powered return pumps.
They were in the pond industry way before aquariums.

Currently I have the following jebao
2x dcp20000
4x mcd10000
2x cp40 gyres
2x slw20
2x sdw16
2x sow20
2x ow20
1x dcq10000
1x dcq10000

Just ordered 1 replacement gyre, this time the scp150 as my first gyre has started acting up after 6 years going strong! I cannot say enough good things about the jebao line. I'd like to get my hands on one of their AL150 reef lights, to test over a frag tank but they seem to be unattainable lol.

OP
OP
Seek&Reef

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Funny thing jebao was one of the first dc powered return pumps.
They were in the pond industry way before aquariums.

Currently I have the following jebao
2x dcp20000
4x mcd10000
2x cp40 gyres
2x slw20
2x sdw16
2x sow20
2x ow20
1x dcq10000
1x dcq10000

Just ordered 1 replacement gyre, this time the scp150 as my first gyre has started acting up after 6 years going strong! I cannot say enough good things about the jebao line. I'd like to get my hands on one of their AL150 reef lights, to test over a frag tank but they seem to be unattainable lol.
Let me know how that scp 150 is. I plan on getting two here in the next month or two! I currently have (2) rw-8 and (2) dcp-15000. One dcp is my return pump, the other is my salt mixing pump that also serves as my backup. I just can’t fathom paying 500-600 for a return pump. My dcp is quiet and super easy to clean. Obviously not controllable from my phone, but who really needs that capability. I’ll spend my money else where lol

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how that scp 150 is. I plan on getting two here in the next month or two! I currently have (2) rw-8 and (2) dcp-15000. One dcp is my return pump, the other is my salt mixing pump that also serves as my backup. I just can’t fathom paying 500-600 for a return pump. My dcp is quiet and super easy to clean. Obviously not controllable from my phone, but who really needs that capability. I’ll spend my money else where lol
Exactly. But here's a little something to chew on, the mdc is controllable from your phone and are not anywhere near 5-600! I think I bought mine for 120.00 each!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Lot of.people don't relieze either that pvc is rated.for certain gph flow through rate meaning you can get the biggest pump in the world but that 1" pipe will still only send X amount of water. U have to run larger diameter pipe to get more volume. Than reduce down at the exit for.velocity like u say.
D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back