Fluconazole is not permanent fix to algaes

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I been told and yes it does make sense because we don't really eradicate the source of the problem.

Some said that they will come back in approximate 6 - 8 months; so at first you think you killed those jerks and be happy for 6 months, only to see it slowly creeping up again.

What I don't get is, once we fluconazole and algaes starting to disappear and once they disappear completely, then we do all the extra husbandry and keep the water parameters pristine, will they still come back?

20180910_225728.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I been told and yes it does make sense because we don't really eradicate the source of the problem.

Some said that they will come back in approximate 6 - 8 months; so at first you think you killed those ******** and be happy for 6 months, only to see it slowly creeping up again.

What I don't get is, once we fluconazole and algaes starting to disappear and once they disappear completely, then we do all the extra husbandry and keep the water parameters pristine, will they still come back?

20180910_225728.jpg
It is almost impossible for fluconazole to completely eliminate Bryopsis. The Bryopsis in high lighting will be impacted much more than the Bryopsis in shaded areas. My experience is that it will survive in shaded areas much longer than the typical single treatment. I have heard some people running 2 consecutive treatments to permanently eliminate it, or running lower levels of Fluco for long periods of time to eliminate it. I can't speak to how effective those methods are.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came back after a few months, lost some acros during treatment and others still recovering for now I just pick out what I can weekly. Might try a much lower dose for a longer time to see if I don’t see any negative effects on the corals while hoping it’s enough to kill it off completely, but I bet it comes back eventually.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bryopsis never came back. One treatment.
It doesn’t work that well on other algae's.

I would try Vibrant and other algecides.
Then a good qt method..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dino x. But you’ll want to do a big removal and retreatment as well.
The red stuff is nasty.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dino x.The red stuff is nasty.

Ok thanks for the tips.

Which red stuff? Don't recall any red stuff there, unless you're mistaken with another user's picture?

There's another guy posted a picture in that thread lol

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Timfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a healthy wild reef system corals are competing with algae for nutrients and herbivores are controlling the algae. Killing off the algae may be an easy short term fix but as pointed out in the OP it doesn't get rid of the underlying cause, which may not be a nutrient issue at all. It also puts at least some if not most of those nutrients locked up in the algae back in the water, which may lead to a nutrient issue or exacerbate a nutrient issue. Depending on how much total nitrogen and total phosphate is being processed in a system daily the increase in what's available might be good for corals and it might be bad for corals. Because of the complexity of the coral holobiont with a multitude of microbes and cyano being used by corals and an essential part of a corals immune system disrupting them may not have any OBVIOUS short term effect but may have long term consequences for a coral's health and growth. (Keep in mind the holobiont is different at the order, family, genus, species and genotype levels.) I for one would like to see studies of corals growth rates before and after being treated with anything "reef safe".

Untitled.png

What is Unidentified 1 and What is Unidentified 2 ?

Pictures are too blue but my guesses are "Unidentified 1" is Derbesia or sporophyte stage of Asparagopsis and "Unidentified 2" is Calurpa peltata or C. racemosa.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back