Fluid Dynamics question regarding Gyre

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Wrasse-cal, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I'm working on deciding where to place two gyres in my tank. The gyres will be placed vertically. I'm presently considering placing them on opposite sides of my overflow box. The idea is to have the gyres run on alternate intensities to get a moving spot of random flow in the tank that travels back and forth across the tank.

The issue however is I don't know how the gyre flow is going to behave. Specifically, I don't know whether the current is going to travel laminarly along the side wall and across the front (like on the left) or, if upon hitting the side wall, it is going to become random and not travel lamilarly across the side and front (like on the right).

Anyone with some fluid dynamics knowledge have an answer for me?

gyre flow.png

Tags:

2. Cory

Cory Valuable Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor

Your placing them verically? Ime they dont flow very good like that. As soon as it hits the glass edges, flow slows a lot.

3. Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

My plan was to place them that way. I though have not seen any negative comments on vertical placement until yours. What's your experience been?

4. Cory

Cory Valuable Member R2R Supporter Article Contributor

My experience was simply put, greatly reduced flow. And lower to the bottom it sucks up sand and breaks the impeller. For some reason they put out a ton of flow at the surface. Im surprised people said no problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted