Fluid Dynamics question regarding Gyre

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on deciding where to place two gyres in my tank. The gyres will be placed vertically. I'm presently considering placing them on opposite sides of my overflow box. The idea is to have the gyres run on alternate intensities to get a moving spot of random flow in the tank that travels back and forth across the tank.

The issue however is I don't know how the gyre flow is going to behave. Specifically, I don't know whether the current is going to travel laminarly along the side wall and across the front (like on the left) or, if upon hitting the side wall, it is going to become random and not travel lamilarly across the side and front (like on the right).

Anyone with some fluid dynamics knowledge have an answer for me?

gyre flow.png

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your placing them verically? Ime they dont flow very good like that. As soon as it hits the glass edges, flow slows a lot.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your placing them verically? Ime they dont flow very good like that. As soon as it hits the glass edges, flow slows a lot.

My plan was to place them that way. I though have not seen any negative comments on vertical placement until yours. What's your experience been?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan was to place them that way. I though have not seen any negative comments on vertical placement until yours. What's your experience been?

My experience was simply put, greatly reduced flow. And lower to the bottom it sucks up sand and breaks the impeller. For some reason they put out a ton of flow at the surface. Im surprised people said no problems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back