Fluval 13.5 Pump & Wave Maker

CZsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all,
seeking some help for my Fluval 13.5
the stock return pump, I feel, is not giving me good circulation in my tank.
I am looking for recommendations to upgrade my return pump and what would be the smallest circulating pump/wave maker that wouldn't lift my sand all crazy
I set up my tank for my son (soon to be 4) and his love of fish so ill only have a pair of clowns, shrimp and crab and some GSP in there for "grass" hahaha
Will also be looking for an AI Prime 13 or 16 with stick mount
Any and all advice is welcome as I am still learning my way
Thank you in advance!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1685052136224.png

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two recommendations. One is cheap and the other more expensive and the cheap one performs just as good as the expensive one.

Expensive one

Cheap amazon one.

VIVOSUN 210GPH Submersible Pump(800L/H, 8W), Ultra Quiet Water Pump with 3.3ft High Lift, Fountain Pump with 5ft Power Cord, 2 Nozzles for Fish Tank, Pond, Aquarium, Statuary, Hydroponics https://a.co/d/eK6qPi9

I bought the vivosun because I needed more flow, and waiting n waiting on frag box to send me out the Sicce syncra 1.0 pump,which took forever. I bought the vivosun.

In all honesty the vivosun be your best bet. It's very quiet and won't vibrate against anything. Pound for pound and $ for $ I'd recommend the vivosun.

Only reason I swapped it out was once the Sicce arrived, I thought that it would flow more and in all honesty there was no noticable difference, except how compact the vivosun is and you don't need to wrestle the other one in.

Anymore questions I'd be happy to try and guide you with your tank. I have one and know all the in's n outs of this tank ;)

Last edited:

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lodestone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval wave maker I placed in mine seeing good water circulation on top. But yes the return pump seemed a bit weak. Just using it as a quarantine tank. Here is a picture of the fluval. 20230601_071549.jpg

Got two nozzles return pump pointed up and the wave maker upper section pointing slightly down thus causes three different flow points with negative pressure/flow space going to filter intake. For quarantine tank may be overkill, but considering how much coral is not risking it this time.

If your using yours as a display tank, I would highly recommend a random flow like the above post from #fullinfusion mentioned.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval wave maker I placed in mine seeing good water circulation on top. But yes the return pump seemed a bit weak. Just using it as a quarantine tank. Here is a picture of the fluval. 20230601_071549.jpg

Got two nozzles return pump pointed up and the wave maker upper section pointing slightly down thus causes three different flow points with negative pressure/flow space going to filter intake. For quarantine tank may be overkill, but considering how much coral is not risking it this time.

If your using yours as a display tank, I would highly recommend a random flow like the above post from #fullinfusion mentioned.
Nice little frag tank!

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim compacton 1000 return pump with a nero 3 wavemaker. I have 2 evos and run this setup in both
It's crazy what we use in these small tanks. I've got an ecotech MP10 in mine. Way way over kill as I can literally blow the water out of the tank at around 50% haha.. but there's a method to my madness. I was already planning a larger build and didn't want to buy different pumps so bought the ecotech just because of the flexibility for random and powerful flow with the larger tank that'll be her in the next week or so.

Attachments

• 20230602_115548.jpg
    20230602_115548.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230602_120139.jpg
    20230602_120139.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 36

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I really encourage you to invest in the random flow generator nozzle kit. Here is a direct link to the one for your Fluval 13.5 Aquarium.

Antonio developed these amazing random flow generators and he's always just a phone call or email away, he'll give you all the info you need if you want.

Hey Antonio, Brad from Manitoba here :)

@Vivid Creative Aquatics
Thank you so much for the support - I really do apricate it. Whenever it comes up in conversation, I always say we (VCA) have the best customers in the industry :) - and that includes you.

Good morning all,
seeking some help for my Fluval 13.5
the stock return pump, I feel, is not giving me good circulation in my tank.
I am looking for recommendations to upgrade my return pump and what would be the smallest circulating pump/wave maker that wouldn't lift my sand all crazy
I set up my tank for my son (soon to be 4) and his love of fish so ill only have a pair of clowns, shrimp and crab and some GSP in there for "grass" hahaha
Will also be looking for an AI Prime 13 or 16 with stick mount
Any and all advice is welcome as I am still learning my way
Thank you in advance!
The SICCE Sycra line are all good pumps. I may be mistaken ,but I think you can fit anything from the 1.0 up to a 2.0 in the Fluval 13.5.

I also believe the smallest IM MightlyJet return pump and a few of the smaller Jebeos will fit it as well.

If you do plan on adding either the Dual 1/4in or single 1/2in Random Flow Generators, then the more return pump flow the better.

Here are my suggestions:

If you have 250 GPH or less, then go with the dual 1/4in Kit
1685726710141.png

if you have 250 GPH or more, then I would suggest the single 1/2in Kit
1685726717091.png

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wanted a good deal of flow in my tank, and I specifically picked a substrate with slightly larger particles so I could achieve that.

That being said, I'm having a lot of success with an upgraded pump, the vivosun that was linked earlier, one random flow generator nozzle, one flat nozzle and this wave maker set on random.

- Hygger Quiet Magnetic Aquarium Wave Maker
61sJHjO6a7L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

https://a.co/d/32jLSQM

The alternating flow of the random setting means that it doesn't blow my sand around since the flow isn't strong, long enough, so I get this really nice alternating but not overpowered churn by aiming it at the front of the tank since my hardscape didn't work to aim it down longways. It's a little pricier, but I required a magnetic wave maker since I've banished all suction cups from my tanks for essential equipment.

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Sicce .5 pump and it worked great with the VCA random flow nozzle paired with a jebao slw5 wavemaker. I know you can put the Sicce 1.0 but i dont think you need it if you are only keeping fish and GSP. If you do plan on getting other corals, then the Sicce 1.0 might be better fit. The jebao is nice because you can control how strong the flow is and its much cheaper than some of the bigger name brands out there. I had mine on the lowest setting because the flow was too much for some of the corals

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the support - I really do apricate it. Whenever it comes up in conversation, I always say we (VCA) have the best customers in the industry :) - and that includes you.

The SICCE Sycra line are all good pumps. I may be mistaken ,but I think you can fit anything from the 1.0 up to a 2.0 in the Fluval 13.5.

I also believe the smallest IM MightlyJet return pump and a few of the smaller Jebeos will fit it as well.

If you do plan on adding either the Dual 1/4in or single 1/2in Random Flow Generators, then the more return pump flow the better.

Here are my suggestions:

If you have 250 GPH or less, then go with the dual 1/4in Kit
1685726710141.png

if you have 250 GPH or more, then I would suggest the single 1/2in Kit
1685726717091.png

I got the jebao dca-1200 (same as the dcs-1200 I think) which was the smallest I could find from them and it does not fit in the evo 13.5 as it is out of the box. I had to pull off the cage and cut the part that the cage screws into off with a hacksaw and it was still a bit too tight. I got it to work but you have to jam it passed the flap thing that sticks out connecting the last two chambers. I do love the pump though. It’s quite a bit quieter than my syncra silent 0.5 and doesn’t heat the tank up as much either.

Dang, wish I knew you had the random flow generators specifically for the 13.5. I got 2 of the 1/4” tips but they flop around and fall off on me when I look at them lol. I lined the joints with super glue so they hold on a tiny bit tighter. Love ‘em though!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Dang, wish I knew you had the random flow generators specifically for the 13.5. I got 2 of the 1/4” tips but they flop around and fall off on me when I look at them lol. I lined the joints with super glue so they hold on a tiny bit tighter. Love ‘em though!
Sounds liek you have/had our older rigid RFG nozzles. The reason those one didn't always fit the fluval so well is the modular hose that comes stock on the Fluvial system is not genuine Loc-Line brand hose, so the shape f the ball connectors are slightly different, causing that exact issue

We fixed that originally by creating a flow kit that replaces the stock modular hose with actual Loc-Line brand hose

However, our new Flex-Series RFGs will fit the stock Fluval pipe, since they will stretch to fit.

Then about 3 or 4 months ago, we introduced the the new Ultimate Nano Tank Return Lien upgrade kit, which includes the Flex-Sereis RFG as well as genuine Loc-Line, and a few restful adapters to make the kit compatible with a wide variety of tank, including Fluval. You may still find the original Fluvial only flow kits at some local fish stores.

If you have a set of the O.G. Rigid 1/4in RFG and they don't fit quite right, we do have a a sort of upgrade path we can help you with - Just send a DM and I can help get you upgraded

lodestone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy what we use in these small tanks. I've got an ecotech MP10 in mine. Way way over kill as I can literally blow the water out of the tank at around 50% haha.. but there's a method to my madness. I was already planning a larger build and didn't want to buy different pumps so bought the ecotech just because of the flexibility for random and powerful flow with the larger tank that'll be her in the next week or so.
And it can be upgraded to a bigger tank
I personally wanted a good deal of flow in my tank, and I specifically picked a substrate with slightly larger particles so I could achieve that.

That being said, I'm having a lot of success with an upgraded pump, the vivosun that was linked earlier, one random flow generator nozzle, one flat nozzle and this wave maker set on random.

- Hygger Quiet Magnetic Aquarium Wave Maker
61sJHjO6a7L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

https://a.co/d/32jLSQM

The alternating flow of the random setting means that it doesn't blow my sand around since the flow isn't strong, long enough, so I get this really nice alternating but not overpowered churn by aiming it at the front of the tank since my hardscape didn't work to aim it down longways. It's a little pricier, but I required a magnetic wave maker since I've banished all suction cups from my tanks for essential equipment.
Last hygger I owned was click, click, click, click. Granted it was different then what your showing, I hope they fixed that in this newer model. Maybe I am just sensitive to sound. Never liked ticking of clocks either.

I am liking the small footprint of it. Is it silent running?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it can be upgraded to a bigger tank

Last hygger I owned was click, click, click, click. Granted it was different then what your showing, I hope they fixed that in this newer model. Maybe I am just sensitive to sound. Never liked ticking of clocks either.

I am liking the small footprint of it. Is it silent running?
It's utterly silent. I can't hear it at all and it lives only a couple of feet or so behind me while I'm working at my desk. About the only thing that could be considered annoying is the digital light on the controller is kinda bright, but I have it hanging beneath my tank so I don't personally see it unless I need to kneel down there to switch it to feeding mode.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds liek you have/had our older rigid RFG nozzles. The reason those one didn't always fit the fluval so well is the modular hose that comes stock on the Fluvial system is not genuine Loc-Line brand hose, so the shape f the ball connectors are slightly different, causing that exact issue

We fixed that originally by creating a flow kit that replaces the stock modular hose with actual Loc-Line brand hose

However, our new Flex-Series RFGs will fit the stock Fluval pipe, since they will stretch to fit.

Then about 3 or 4 months ago, we introduced the the new Ultimate Nano Tank Return Lien upgrade kit, which includes the Flex-Sereis RFG as well as genuine Loc-Line, and a few restful adapters to make the kit compatible with a wide variety of tank, including Fluval. You may still find the original Fluvial only flow kits at some local fish stores.

If you have a set of the O.G. Rigid 1/4in RFG and they don't fit quite right, we do have a a sort of upgrade path we can help you with - Just send a DM and I can help get you upgraded

Thanks! I really appreciate the offer to help get me upgraded. I’m in Canada so I’m not sure how/if that works. But I’ve gotten mine to work decently with the thin lining of superglue I used so I’m not too worried about it. The only time it falls off on me now is when I need to unscrew the locline for cleaning or if I accidentally tap/nudge it.

Next time I know to either grab the flex series RFG or the whole set that comes with the loc line hose section.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back