Fluval Evo 13.5 Micro Bubbles by Return Pump and Powerhead

Noremahk

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've recently got into the reefing hobby this week and set up my Fluval Evo 13.5 as my starting tank. I've come to realize that there are a fair amount of tiny air bubbles are around the tank with a majority of them being around the return pump and powerhead along by the protein skimmer.

My question is, is this a normal process? I've heard that it's natural for protein skimmers to produce a fair amount of bubbles while it is breaking in. And if this continues after the tank is done being cycled, what can I do to remove these air bubbles?

Drew1600

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've recently got into the reefing hobby this week and set up my Fluval Evo 13.5 as my starting tank. I've come to realize that there are a fair amount of tiny air bubbles are around the tank with a majority of them being around the return pump and powerhead along by the protein skimmer.

My question is, is this a normal process? I've heard that it's natural for protein skimmers to produce a fair amount of bubbles while it is breaking in. And if this continues after the tank is done being cycled, what can I do to remove these air bubbles?
This is very normal for new protein skimmers, especially the P2. I ultimately decided to get rid of mine as it is noisy and the microbubbles never really went away. IMO, remove the skimmer, add a simple refugium, and replace the empty chamber with filter floss. Weekly or biweekly water changes if you remove the skimmer, I have found it to be well worth it.

Have you heard about our Toys For Kids Drive?

• YES

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • NO

Votes: 26 35.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors