Fluval flex 123 or 32.5g new setup

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone new on this forum hope everyone is keeping well ,

I have just started to setup my flex 123l , planning a softie reef tank with a couple of fish

My main question is the rear chaimbers what should I use ?

My last nano reef was 10+ years back and we filled rear with live rock rubble but that doesnt seem to be the norm now ?

I am also struggling to see how I can use filter floss as the tank has 4 places in the back compartment that the water can move to and from the display ?

Should I use the stock foam and clean regularly or remove and use Phosguard and carbon ?

Would really appreciate your help

Thanks alan

20200710_225130.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate media and carbon is nice. I recommend the intank filter racks if possible. Just never wash the sponge in tap water since it is going to host a lot of nitrifying bacteria. You can also place biomedia wherever in the back.

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , any preference on brands to use ? And how often do you change the carbon

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , any preference on brands to use ? And how often do you change the carbon

I change carbon once a month unless I had some medicine removed or something bad happen. As for brand I like red sea carbon but rox is the best. For phosphate media, you can mix a little bit of GFO in the the carbon, or you can use something like phosguard (or seagel which is their carbon and phosphate media mixed) or chemipure elite/blue (a combo bag). As for biomedia, matrix is durable and ceramic rings work too. Marine pure is nice but those types of medias become brittle with time (I have had bad experiences with brightwell).

Here we go again..

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a flex 32. I have been using the stock media sponges. On one side I took out the carbon and added chemipure blue, and just change the carbon on the other side monthly. I eventually will probably get media baskets.. I rinse the sponges in removed tank water when I do water changes.

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys , I was thinking of getting the bioblocks remove one sponge and put bio blocks in its place ?

Keep the other sponge with carbon / Phosguard for now ?

Has anyone used the fluval phos sponges ? They sell in packs of 4 ? They also do ammonia and nitrate ones ?

The tank is now full of water let the cycle begin

Here we go again..

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the different sponges. Dont really know how they work. But each set up is different. Watch your levels and adjust as necessary. I get nervous trying new things on my tank. 32 gallons isnt very forgiving when it comes to swings. But a water change is a breeze!!! (I use water from my lfs and test it each time i use it). If you're not running a skimmer there is plenty of room for bio blocks in the main sump. If you are running an ice cap k1 nano skimmer there is still room on the bottom of the sump for bio blocks. I couldnt find the fluval ps1 skimmer anywhere...

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm using natural sea water collected just before high tide , the water is crystal clear and tests

Salinity 1.023 ( may need to top that up a little )

Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrire 0
Kh 7 ( meq-l 2.5 )

Not running a skimmer at the moment was planning on weekly 25% changes as water is free and easy to get

I was planning on using the red sea mature kit but I have read inside it requires a skimmer to use so not sure what to do now to get the cycle going properly

Live sand 2 bags
D D aquascape rock around 14kg gone

Will the live sand and seawater be enough for the cycle?

Thanks everyone

15945684822801644066495782108084.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you will still have some type of cycle since it looks you started with dry rock. I would keep testing water and add some source of ammonia and see how it goes!

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you will still have some type of cycle since it looks you started with dry rock. I would keep testing water and add some source of ammonia and see how it goes!
Thanks , yes started with dry rock , was in 2 minds dry vs live but I keep reading the quality of live rock isn't like it used to be and I didn't want to introduce pests . I hope I will not regret the decision as even dry rock is expensive.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , yes started with dry rock , was in 2 minds dry vs live but I keep reading the quality of live rock isn't like it used to be and I didn't want to introduce pests . I hope I will not regret the decision as even dry rock is expensive.
I started with all dry rock eventually it will be covered in coralline I’m glad I started with dry.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm using natural sea water collected just before high tide , the water is crystal clear and tests

Salinity 1.023 ( may need to top that up a little )

Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrire 0
Kh 7 ( meq-l 2.5 )

Not running a skimmer at the moment was planning on weekly 25% changes as water is free and easy to get

I was planning on using the red sea mature kit but I have read inside it requires a skimmer to use so not sure what to do now to get the cycle going properly

Live sand 2 bags
D D aquascape rock around 14kg gone

Will the live sand and seawater be enough for the cycle?

Thanks everyone

15945684822801644066495782108084.jpg

Be careful with natural sea water. The ocean values care not evenly spread and much of the water near the shore is polluted.

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with natural sea water. The ocean values care not evenly spread and much of the water near the shore is polluted.

Yeah i have read quite a bit about it and it seem more and more are doing it now with great results , corals apparently are thriving , it makes sense really as the sterile rodi can't be great for them, you just need to be picky about where you collect, and always on the incoming tide , be interested to hear if anyone else on here is using successfully?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i have read quite a bit about it and it seem more and more are doing it now with great results , corals apparently are thriving , it makes sense really as the sterile rodi can't be great for them, you just need to be picky about where you collect, and always on the incoming tide , be interested to hear if anyone else on here is using successfully?

When mixed with salt, the RODI water is not sterile but rather ideal. Do you live near pacific reefs? Carribean waters are different from those, and water all along the coast is also very different in its elements

OP
OP
A

Alan098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mixed with salt, the RODI water is not sterile but rather ideal. Do you live near pacific reefs? Carribean waters are different from those, and water all along the coast is also very different in its elements

Hi i agree that the biggest risk is from costal pollutants and if collected a mile or so out would be more idea but as you can see from the picture the gulf stream and North Atlantic current at the end of the day its the same water in the reef to that lapping our shores , granted its cooled down on its way may have picked up pollution, but after all we have massive diversity of our own Ocean life living happily in the water , just think natural sea water is teaming with life , rodi and salt is sterile ,

Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing I'm just trying to understand, after all we all want the best tank possible that is why we are in the hobby

20200713_082444.jpg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the different sponges. Dont really know how they work. But each set up is different. Watch your levels and adjust as necessary. I get nervous trying new things on my tank. 32 gallons isnt very forgiving when it comes to swings. But a water change is a breeze!!! (I use water from my lfs and test it each time i use it). If you're not running a skimmer there is plenty of room for bio blocks in the main sump. If you are running an ice cap k1 nano skimmer there is still room on the bottom of the sump for bio blocks. I couldnt find the fluval ps1 skimmer anywhere...
I've been searching for verification of this everywhere. You physically own an Icecap K1 Nano and it fits in the center chamber on the rear of the flex 32.5 tank? did you have to cut out extra space on that part of the hood that snaps in?
Really considering the Icecap.. everywhere I look the PS1 has bad reviews and complaints about micro-bubbles so staying away from those..

dfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

how well does the k1 nano skimmer work and fit? I can’t find the Ps1 anywhere either. Any pics?

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed all foam from my fluval 32. I put filter flies marine pure and a small bag of carbon in back. In one of the slots I have cheap with exterior fuge light.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back