Fluval Flex 15 upgrades and coral suggestions

AquaHaven

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2023
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
Location
Sweden
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reckon now it would be a nice time to share an update on my Fluval Flex 15, as it is coming to an end of the fishless cycle.

This tank started couple of months ago as a completely stock, with some sand, rock and some Maxspect Bio-speheres nano biomedia. Nothing special, but then it didn't need to be. Not much is needed to cycle the tank.

tank 1.png


But now, it's very close to being cycled so I thought upgrades are in order. First of all, the stock pump went, replaced by Sicce Syncra 1.0. This nearly doubled the turnover. Since this tank comes with a dual, split nozzle, I thought to add couple VCA random flow generators. Sadly, this created a massive backpressure on the pump which in turn sounded like someone was trying to dry a goat in a washing machine on spin cycle.

And so I've done two things. I removed the split nozzle and only put a single VCA random flow generator, and I glued a bit of silicone hose to the side of the pump, so that it never touches the tank directly. This made things incredibly quiet but also nicely turbulent. My idea of not having to use a wavemaker, however, went out of the window since I don't think there will be enough flow in the tank.

I have also added Spectra/Aqua Knight V2 light. and this is the result. I'm quite pleased!

tank 2.png


The idea is to let the GSP grow over the whole back, as well as the sand, and put some softies on the rocks. So, here is a question, what would you think would do better:

1. Two different zoa gardens on each side and something like a single SPS on the very top?
Or
2. Torches on one side and hammers on the other with some SPS on the top?

Any input is much appreciated.
 
both your ideas seem good. i'm not sure i'd have GSP grow on the sand, as you can use the sand for other corals like LPS. leave the GSP to the back glass, sand for LPS, and the rock structure for your softies, sps, and whatever else you decide on :).
 
Looks fantastic. My thought is if you're going to add sps forgo GSP. The 1st year they are cool, after that in a small tank they become a PITA.
Hygger makes a nice smaller wavemaker that would work well in that tank, and it's very affordable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new