Focustronic bulk replacement parts thread (Mastertronic / Alkatronic / Dosetronic)

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out that you need to change the needles used by the Mastertronic every 4 weeks and today I saw that Coralvue started selling a pack of 6 needles and 4 syringes for $25!!!
I'm used to big markups in the aquarium trade but I think this is huge considering you can buy a 100 pack of syringes for $10 and a 100 pack of 21Gx2" for $16.
Unfortunately I've been looking everywhere for those needles (21G x 2.5"/60mm) without luck so I thought about asking the community for advice and build a thread where we can post sources of replacement materials that are confirmed to be working.

Example, I followed the DIY Alkatronic Reagent thread with great results, no difference between the original reagent and the one in the thread

I also bought replacement tubing for the Dosetronic but I will wait until I receive it and test it before posting.

Has anyone found a source for those 21G x 60mm needles or any other consumable like vials, tubing, or those silicon septa / caps?
Thanks!

robocop1906

Erick McLemore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out that you need to change the needles used by the Mastertronic every 4 weeks and today I saw that Coralvue started selling a pack of 6 needles and 4 syringes for $25!!!
I'm used to big markups in the aquarium trade but I think this is huge considering you can buy a 100 pack of syringes for $10 and a 100 pack of 21Gx2" for $16.
Unfortunately I've been looking everywhere for those needles (21G x 2.5"/60mm) without luck so I thought about asking the community for advice and build a thread where we can post sources of replacement materials that are confirmed to be working.

Example, I followed the DIY Alkatronic Reagent thread with great results, no difference between the original reagent and the one in the thread

I also bought replacement tubing for the Dosetronic but I will wait until I receive it and test it before posting.

Has anyone found a source for those 21G x 60mm needles or any other consumable like vials, tubing, or those silicon septa / caps?
Thanks!
And I thought I was the only one out there looking lol! I've searched and can't find them anywhere which seems odd or really smart on their part. I've tried 21g x 2 3/8 which I believe is the conversion. I'm wondering why it needs to be replaced in the first place. Thoughts? I've heard of some getting bent but 4-week replacement interval doesn't add up. I wonder the same for the syringe as well. Any luck finding them? These look to be a possibility:
1630499368916.png

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought I was the only one out there looking lol! I've searched and can't find them anywhere which seems odd or really smart on their part. I've tried 21g x 2 3/8 which I believe is the conversion. I'm wondering why it needs to be replaced in the first place. Thoughts? I've heard of some getting bent but 4-week replacement interval doesn't add up. I wonder the same for the syringe as well. Any luck finding them? These look to be a possibility
The syringes are regular 1ml. Like the ones that come in the test kits.
The plunger color doesn't make a difference or mean anything.
I just checked the blue replacement syringe I got in the Mastertronic box against the syringes that came with Hanna and Red Sea test kits and also against a pack that I bought a while ago link
The syringe diameter and plunger flange shape are the same. The same needle fits all of them so I think its OK to use any regular 1ml syringe. I'd just buy a 100 pack for $10 instead of getting the 30 you showed in the pic for $8.77. link

You mentioned you tried 21g x 2 3/8. I saw online that the equivalent to 60mm was 2 1/2".
How did they work for you? Can you show a comparison pic? Where did you get them.

About the reason for replacing them, I'd assume that the needles could lose some sharpness over time after repeatedly cutting into the septa or dry reagent or maybe they develop some reagent buildup inside. The syringe is most likely due to buildup on the seal.

robocop1906

Erick McLemore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The syringes are regular 1ml. Like the ones that come in the test kits.
The plunger color doesn't make a difference or mean anything.
I just checked the blue replacement syringe I got in the Mastertronic box against the syringes that came with Hanna and Red Sea test kits and also against a pack that I bought a while ago link
The syringe diameter and plunger flange shape are the same. The same needle fits all of them so I think its OK to use any regular 1ml syringe. I'd just buy a 100 pack for $10 instead of getting the 30 you showed in the pic for $8.77. link

You mentioned you tried 21g x 2 3/8. I saw online that the equivalent to 60mm was 2 1/2".
How did they work for you? Can you show a comparison pic? Where did you get them.

About the reason for replacing them, I'd assume that the needles could lose some sharpness over time after repeatedly cutting into the septa or dry reagent or maybe they develop some reagent buildup inside. The syringe is most likely due to buildup on the seal.
Sorry I meant "I tried searching for 21g x 2 3/8" I didn't actually find anything in that size. The site that I found that has 23g x 2 3/8 needles made the mm to inch conversion. 60 mm = 2 3/8inches.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, got you. I'll keep looking, if I find the needles I'll post here.
The DIY silicone septa idea is great but the silicone sheet you are showing is too small, isn't it?. 50mmx50mm is just 2x2 inch, that will yield 4 septas. I think there are more affordable silicone options. Did you end up buying that?

robocop1906

Erick McLemore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a typo in the description. It should be 500mm x 500mm which is about 20in. I've bought it and can confirm those are the dimensions.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great. CV sells them at $2 ea. So for the price of 20 of those you can buy those 2 and make yourself 400? That's really cool! Have you tried them? Do they fit OK in the vials?

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I just bought those items too.
Would you share here if you find the needles or any other consumable or replacement part?

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Stupid question, but why does the gauged of the needle matter as long as the length is the same? If the plunger movement prescribed the amount of liquid drawn or expelled, the diameter of the needle shouldn't matter right?

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, that's a very good question. The volume wouldn't change. I would think that the force needed to pull the plunger would increase with thinner needles and the force required to go through the silicon would increase with thicker needles. I think it might be worth trying if the gauge difference was not too big. Did you find other gauges in 60mm length? Where?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've sourced 21g x 60mm needles in bulk for pennies apiece, I'm testing them now. Also, the plunger matters, sort of. I'll be selling them in 1-year packs once testing is done.

robocop1906

Erick McLemore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sourced 21g x 60mm needles in bulk for pennies apiece, I'm testing them now. Also, the plunger matters, sort of. I'll be selling them in 1-year packs once testing is done.
Cool, count + how much you plan to sell for?

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mike.
Coralvue bought the replacement parts direct from Mastertronic parts directly from Focustronic so the large margin is on the manufacture and not the American distributor. I can tell you they also used to buy the alk regent direct from them and now have sourced it direct the cost went down huge on it. Once there is enough volume to source it direct they may as well. look at the Alkatronic regent on Saltwater aquarium and you can see the old school prices. It may take a minute or two to see these prices drop. In another month there will be more of these units available which is good.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Mike.
Coralvue bought the replacement parts direct from Mastertronic parts directly from Focustronic so the large margin is on the manufacture and not the American distributor. I can tell you they also used to buy the alk regent direct from them and now have sourced it direct the cost went down huge on it. Once there is enough volume to source it direct they may as well. look at the Alkatronic regent on Saltwater aquarium and you can see the old school prices. It may take a minute or two to see these prices drop. In another month there will be more of these units available which is good.
I wouldn't count on it for the needles - they are 100% custom-made.

Our second mold revision is about 10 days out then we'll test again. Once final we should have bulk supplies two weeks from then. I'm very hopeful that we'll have a cheaper solution as the current designs are in line with our expectations. FT is making a ton of money off needles, I can promise you this ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back