Follow-up of yesterday's post

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So yesterday, I was asking if a fish with a dorsal fin out of the water too much time would be harmed xD

The thing is, one of my fishes (Gem) got stuck between the tank heater and the wall.

She's fine though! I was really worried when she was swimming badly, but her tankmates kept picking at her when she would drift off or try not to swim and I think that helped? I'm really glad she's fine. When I loosened her, she just couldn't stop floating up like a balloon and I felt very bad for her :( I didn't ask anything on the forum because this has happened before... lol. I don't know if it was her swim bladder or her pelvic fin, but she struggled to keep swimming down and I took care of her for most of the night (I also moved the heater) and it's really weird how fish lose their buoyancy if they get stuck.

Is their pelvic fin that important? Does not moving harm them too much? :( Hopefully I'll know for the next time one of them gets stuck xD

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there are plenty here with freshy tanks (myself included). But to be fair, this forum is called "reef2reef" so FW posts are a little off topic
This. I have freshwater puffers in addition to my reef. But this is a saltwater site so discussion is focused on the saltwater side of the hobby, that’s all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ask things here because it's the website with the most good-natured people :) (and the fastest responses!)

Upvote 0

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ask things here because it's the website with the most good-natured people :) (and the fastest responses!)

When people say nice things about us online:

shih tzu dog GIF

Upvote 0

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if they said something soon I would have saved him I guess
I would recommend you join the Aquarium Co-Op forum -- that is a good space for freshwater hobbyists. Corey, who owns the store and forums, is also on YouTube. I think you'll have more success meeting folks who are focused on the freshwater side of the hobby to befriend and ask for advice. Just Google Aquarium Coop, and when you get to the homepage, click on "Help" and then "Forums"

A freshwater forum is better for you b/c everyone there is focused on that side of the hobby. Many of us here also keep freshwater but when we interact here we're thinking saltwater. For example, the first time I read one of your posts I just assumed you had a saltwater tank, and might have given wrong advice thinking that.

That said, folks on forums are regular folks with jobs, school, families, and aren't just sitting around watching the forums waiting to respond -- they aren't always going to be able to get back to you right away. In addition to forums, you'll need to do some of your own research, like reading forum stickies, searching forums, googling articles, etc.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back