Food grade PVC or not?

DanishReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2019
Messages
48
Reaction score
7
Location
Esbjerg, Denmark
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard alot of talking about wheter or not to use food grade pvc.

Is it really that important, does it make a difference in the average reef tank? And if it matters, what are the consequenses?

I ask because i have PVC tube, hose and fittings available at my work. But it isnt food grade.

Anybody that runs their systems with just "normal" pvc?

Thank you!
Victor:)
 
I just use PVC from Lowes or Home Depot. Not sure what makes it "food grade", but it's used in everyone's home for transporting water, so it must be safe!
If I can use it, so can my tank.
 
Food grade PVC just doesn't contain any BPA's in it and is measured at higher standard then regular PVC. You'll be more then fine with the regular stuff.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new