OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black ich (turbellarians, a worm) is just easier to see on a yellow tang, because of the contrast of color. It can be cured with prazi.

yeah, again shows the importance of quarantine. I used to get these garbage disease when I didn't practice quarantine very well. Although I also notice my "black ich" never really broke out to other fish, and also disappeared from the tang after a while. I attributed it to my cleaner shrimp/wrasse, but not 100% sure if they are the reason to help eradicate.

TomatoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are seven species. You did briefly mention the black, which would make seven. There aren't others out there. I believe they have all been described since the 1800s.
Are you sure there are not others? I mean there is no way to truly know if there are, but odds are that their may be a few more out their that live in deep water and have never been seen before. It is also possible that some have been seen, but have not been documented.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure there are not others? I mean there is no way to truly know if there are, but odds are that their may be a few more out their that live in deep water and have never been seen before. It is also possible that some have been seen, but have not been documented.
Why would a herbivore live in deep water? given how long the known species have gone without any new additions, and the fact that the large fish of shallow reefs are well documented it indicates the likelihood of a new zebrasoma is quite low.

TomatoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would a herbivore live in deep water? Well Okay you have a point there. However, how come it seems like they find new Acanthurus tangs all the time, most recently, the White Chin tang, which was discovered in 2017. It seems likely that one day, they will find an a fish that was thought to be a yellow tang, but has the size and elongated body shape of a Sailfin tang.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure there are not others? I mean there is no way to truly know if there are

given how long the known species have gone without any new additions, and the fact that the large fish of shallow reefs are well documented it indicates the likelihood of a new zebrasoma is quite low.

Last described Zebrasoma tang is the black, in 1875

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight, This is my most expensive fish
YellowTang2019052801.jpg
YellowTang2019102201.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one healthy yellow tang, you should share your diet for this fish. as most yellow tangs don:t look near this good.
I like variety. I feed my tank 2 sheet of Nori a day. I often bring a rock full of algae and Aptasia into my DT every week or two for the fishes to chew on. 8 times a day automatic feeding with Otohime pellets. Every morning I feed frozen mysis and flakes (4 different flakes mixed together). Twice a week I from clams or oysters into the tank for the fish. Whenever we eat seafood, which is often, I feed the fish chopped up fish or fish roe when I gut the fish and detect the roe.
That is my feeding regiment for my tank.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight, This is my most expensive fish
Yes, and unfortunately I lost my second largest YT yesterday to a bizarre GYRE pump encounter. I had been noticing marks/bruises that looked like fighting, but the YT was by far the biggest bully in the tank and I didn't see any marks on other fish. Then 2-3 days later I found it dead, sucked against the GYRE pump, with the same pattern of bruises which I then determined exactly match the grill pattern of the GYRE pump. The YT apparently had been venturing into grazing on the algae growth around the pump at night when it's shut off, and got hammered that morning when the pump spun up.
So my second-most expensive fish is gone.
:mad:

Rest in peace Twitter. I'm sorry you went out so young.
IMG_20210111_162317562_HDR.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good info here!

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our purple, his name is Wu.... is so good with our 6 green chromis and a small clown. He gets a bit whippy when we put scrapers or feeding tongs on but otherwise we think we lucked out with a fairly docile purple.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My absolute favorite fish group. I have or have had every single one in this genus (currently no sailfin or yellow). Currently have a purple, yellow scopas, Gem x2, Hybrid Black (mean), and Koi.

Sadly my Guam Citrus Yellow Tang died a couple weeks ago after moving him to a new tank. RIP. Haven't had a sailfin since my last one was stolen from me (long story).

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From House of names. Seems fitting:

The name Desjardins was formed many centuries ago in France during the Dark Ages in that northern western region known as Brittany (French: Bretagne). It was a name typically given to a vegetable gardener. It translates as, "of the gardens," and was originally given to the person in charge of growing edible produce.

AchilesTang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Aside from being a whimp, is there anything special you need to do for black tang? I know their snout is especially long compare to the rest of the family.
And agree with purple tang, they are very dominant. But my naso tang keeps him in check!
I have a black tang as well. He is very mild but will stand up for himself if need be. He just eats what everyone else does so no special care. They are just big like sailfins with the huge fins.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first zebrasoma was a purple tang. Very aggressive. Chased my convict tang to death. Put a big powder blue in, and though they fought, powder blue could hold its own against the purple. Added a large desjardin sailfin and I can't stress enough how important it was that the sailfin was larger than the purple. The purple torments the sailfin every chance it gets but the sailfin can hold his own due to its size. The purple tang is also very smart. Always seems to be able to figure out my coral and anemone feeding devises to grab a morsel.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like variety. I feed my tank 2 sheet of Nori a day. I often bring a rock full of algae and Aptasia into my DT every week or two for the fishes to chew on. 8 times a day automatic feeding with Otohime pellets. Every morning I feed frozen mysis and flakes (4 different flakes mixed together). Twice a week I from clams or oysters into the tank for the fish. Whenever we eat seafood, which is often, I feed the fish chopped up fish or fish roe when I gut the fish and detect the roe.
That is my feeding regiment for my tank.
This is so amazing. I don’t know why everyone is so afraid to feed their tanks properly like this. High variety, volume, and frequency seem to be the hallmarks of the most successful reefers out there for both their fish and corals. For too long in this hobby we have been so paranoid about adding nutrition to our tanks in pursuit of that non-detectable nitrate and phosphate levels.

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice write up. You think you could do a write up on Naso tangs? I have a baby Blone and would like to get a couple different nasos to add to my stock list. Thanks for your time and input.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back