For those Zebrasoma lovers

OP
stevenliu9

stevenliu9

View Badges
Reaction score
Black ich (turbellarians, a worm) is just easier to see on a yellow tang, because of the contrast of color. It can be cured with prazi.

yeah, again shows the importance of quarantine. I used to get these garbage disease when I didn't practice quarantine very well. Although I also notice my "black ich" never really broke out to other fish, and also disappeared from the tang after a while. I attributed it to my cleaner shrimp/wrasse, but not 100% sure if they are the reason to help eradicate.

Avast

TomatoClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
There are seven species. You did briefly mention the black, which would make seven. There aren't others out there. I believe they have all been described since the 1800s.
Are you sure there are not others? I mean there is no way to truly know if there are, but odds are that their may be a few more out their that live in deep water and have never been seen before. It is also possible that some have been seen, but have not been documented.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Are you sure there are not others? I mean there is no way to truly know if there are, but odds are that their may be a few more out their that live in deep water and have never been seen before. It is also possible that some have been seen, but have not been documented.
Why would a herbivore live in deep water? given how long the known species have gone without any new additions, and the fact that the large fish of shallow reefs are well documented it indicates the likelihood of a new zebrasoma is quite low.

TomatoClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Why would a herbivore live in deep water? Well Okay you have a point there. However, how come it seems like they find new Acanthurus tangs all the time, most recently, the White Chin tang, which was discovered in 2017. It seems likely that one day, they will find an a fish that was thought to be a yellow tang, but has the size and elongated body shape of a Sailfin tang.

nereefpat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Are you sure there are not others? I mean there is no way to truly know if there are

given how long the known species have gone without any new additions, and the fact that the large fish of shallow reefs are well documented it indicates the likelihood of a new zebrasoma is quite low.

Last described Zebrasoma tang is the black, in 1875

Corals.com

Do you utilize the weekends for tank tasks?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 200 63.9%
  • NO

Votes: 23 7.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 84 26.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
First Choice