Foxface always at surface

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When he is not eating, he is at the surface sucking in air. Leaving a bunch of air bubbles. He is fat, I mean fat, and healthy. Eats like a pig. He will suck down the nori more then any other fish. Why is he doing this?

No scratching or head twitch. Seems perfectly healthy.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In goldfish, the behavior is called "piping", and generally indicates that the fish isn't getting enough oxygen through its gills.

How long have you had this fellow?

Was he ever fed food that floats at the surface? Flakes or pellets?

~Bruce

kesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When he is not eating, he is at the surface sucking in air. Leaving a bunch of air bubbles. He is fat, I mean fat, and healthy. Eats like a pig. He will suck down the nori more then any other fish. Why is he doing this?

How long has this behaviour been going on? I had in the past a foxface that used to sit near the surface. Eventually, it was due to velvet. I've also seen other foxface infected with velvet doing the same. Just keep an eye on him

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fox faces have done this. Not constantly at the top. But allot. My last fox face before I removed him was 3 years old in my tank. If you google it you will find allot more peoples that do it. Still worth looking for any potential problems but if he is eating and active don’t worrie to much.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fox Face did this for the whole 2 years I have him. Never a sign or symptom of disease. Honestly I was inclined to think is was a learned behavior. This fish was a serious begger, if I was in the room he was at the surface spiting water, and blowing bubbles.
With that said always rule out disease.

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, he does get pellets that some do float. Had for 3 years now. If I put nori on a clip, he will eat and eat and chase down pieces until it is all gone. So I don't think it is an oxygen issue. Tank is a 210 gal with lots of gas exchange at the surface and in the sump. I don't see any sign of disease. I will have keep an eye on him.

knoxmandan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My large fox face does it to sucking and blowing bubbles and hes a pig! He has battle wounds from my stary blenny i first thought was ick or velvet. He came from a local lfs that quarantines all there fish before they sell them and he came from a show tank they had him for over a year so im sure hes not ill but i too am curious to know why he does it. I hope its normal.
4E5F40C5-1361-465D-B5A3-EE09BD24C0F5.jpeg

luceym

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi i know its been years but i wondered the same thing. Mine does this but looks perfectly healthy and eats masses of food. One other thing he does, he always hangs around the backside of my regal tang. Very odd maybe he is just unique

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i know its been years but i wondered the same thing. Mine does this but looks perfectly healthy and eats masses of food. One other thing he does, he always hangs around the backside of my regal tang. Very odd maybe he is just unique
I lost that foxface. Also lost a chocolate tang that was gulping air. That has been awhile ago. Haven't lost any fish in a long time. I noticed my hippo tang gulping air last week. It's only after he eats. I feed mostly pellets. My tank may get a rip clean for recurring cyano. If that happens, all live stock will be removed and I can put him in QT. Treat him for possible flukes. Don't know.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost that foxface. Also lost a chocolate tang that was gulping air. That has been awhile ago. Haven't lost any fish in a long time. I noticed my hippo tang gulping air last week. It's only after he eats. I feed mostly pellets. My tank may get a rip clean for recurring cyano. If that happens, all live stock will be removed and I can put him in QT. Treat him for possible flukes. Don't know.
Yeah my FF has been doing this for a few weeks now. And my entire surface of the tank is rumbling so im at a lost.

He’s literally doing it right now as i type this.

@Randy Holmes-Farley
#fishmedic

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface does it too. I've had him a while, maybe a year and a half. He got copper and Prazi in QT, so it shouldn't be a disease. I think they're just eccentric.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back