Foxface nipping SPS

Badnade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a foxface. It has decided to start nipping at a walt disney frag and a small colony of stylophora.

It appears he's trying to eat the polyps that are moving in the current.

Should I go ahead and get rid of them or hope for some reason that it stops doing it?

It's nipped at almost every corallite on the walt disney.

20201025_184104.jpg 20201025_185402.jpg

OP
OP
B

Badnade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d banish it from my tank in a heartbeat. Maybe you can trade it into your LFS for credit and try a different one.

That's what I may try to do, I'd just hate for another one to do the same or worse and attack my lps or soft coral.

Are any of the bristle tooth tangs less susceptible to nipping?

OP
OP
B

Badnade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much do you feed it? foxfaces are known to nip at coral if underfed. usually they go for lps tho

Multiple times a day. Seaweed gets left in the tank daily. He looks fat and happy but still nipping for some reason.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs more food and a variety of food. I have a foxface in a sps dominant tank. He is feed 3x a day, no issues with him eating corals. He did nip at a stylo and a leather coral when I cut back on feedings while battling cyano. Once I kicked up feedings he stopped nipping.

OP
OP
B

Badnade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like he is eating something that gets stuck on the coral or on the polyps. I have lps and softies in the tank that would be a much easier snack if he truly wanted to eat corals. Otherwise he would've decimated the acro and the stylo in my opinion.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After 3 different types, NO MORE foxface for me

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rabbitfish nor tangs are coral safe. Any and all kinds have been known to nip at corals, especially if underfed. I got Black tanks for free that once at a friends prized acans (remember when acans were $100 a head?). I currently have a large chocolate that nips a bit just to remove the slime, I think, and I have decided to live with it.

I have never had a problem with a fox face eating coral, but I do feed them enough that they outgrow my tank in a few years. Fat and happy. However, they don't eat any algae either, so they are pure freeloaders.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rabbitfish nor tangs are coral safe. Any and all kinds have been known to nip at corals, especially if underfed. I got Black tanks for free that once at a friends prized acans (remember when acans were $100 a head?). I currently have a large chocolate that nips a bit just to remove the slime, I think, and I have decided to live with it.

I have never had a problem with a fox face eating coral, but I do feed them enough that they outgrow my tank in a few years. Fat and happy. However, they don't eat any algae either, so they are pure freeloaders.
Mine chomps corals and red turf algae but basically he's a freeloader, the best thing about him is the color it adds to the tank and the waste it produces, beautiful fish and pretty good at getting along with a community as the last fish added.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a foxface. It has decided to start nipping at a walt disney frag and a small colony of stylophora.

It appears he's trying to eat the polyps that are moving in the current.

Should I go ahead and get rid of them or hope for some reason that it stops doing it?

It's nipped at almost every corallite on the walt disney.

20201025_184104.jpg 20201025_185402.jpg
I had a similar thing with my blenny and a RD Joker. He hasn’t gone for any other SPS that are doing well though. If they’re the only two SPS that he’s nipping then they may not be doing well anyway.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for reef safe, I have kept 2 foxfaces and neither of them went for coral. Both were owned for 2 years and one of them is still with me.
If you’ve only ever tried a LO Foxface or a One Spot Fox then if possible, try go with a Magnificent. Both times I’ve had success with foxfaces was with a magnificent and I have heard so many other people have more success with a magnificent than the One Spots or LO’s over here.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like angles, I think they are a gamble. I have one now that hasn't touched anything in over a year.....but I have had to remove one in the past after an angel taught him how to eat coral :-(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back