Foxface not eating much

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently (2-3 weeks) got a one spot foxface for my tank (75g).
He was eating at the LFS but once I put him in my tank he doesn’t eat any. He was fed in front of me and was eating frozen, well.
Tanks has been up for 1 year and around 8 months.
He sees little aggression in the tank with the exception of a Scopas going up to him but when the Foxface puts his fins up the Scopas leaves him alone.
He is eating nori sheets. And I have seen him take one bite of frozen but that’s all in, the time I’ve had him.
He doesn’t seem to be breathing fast, all other fish are eating as normal.
The picture is from when I first got him, I’ll post a more recent one soon.
Thanks.

IMG_9590.jpeg

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is him now.
Just realized I forgot to add my question: is there anything I can do to get him to eat frozen or is nori sustainable.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9658.jpeg
    IMG_9658.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 27

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is him now.
Just realized I forgot to add my question: is there anything I can do to get him to eat frozen or is nori sustainable.
Thanks
is there much algae in your system?, my foxface grazes all day long and always has a full stomach, he does not eat much frozen or flake either but hes super healthy. and judging from his poops they are rich in algae.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there much algae in your system?, my foxface grazes all day long and always has a full stomach, he does not eat much frozen or flake either but hes super healthy. and judging from his poops they are rich in algae.
Yes. I have a bunch of green hair algae, along with other types.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
judging from your picture his stomach is pretty full too, does he poop alot? and are they decent sized? imo if hes pooping hes eating.
Yes he does poo I don’t know If it is a lot relative to his size or specie. I also don’t know If he poops a lot but, I have seen him poo a few times. I’m not always by the tank to check.

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because a qt protocol is minimum 1 month long
ive never qt'd, and havent experienced ich or velvet. sure there is a greater risk but i dont think you can jump to a conclusion that fast, velvet tends to wipe out fish very quiclky and he has had the fish for a while now.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ive never qt'd, and havent experienced ich or velvet. sure there is a greater risk but i dont think you can jump to a conclusion that fast, velvet tends to wipe out fish very quiclky and he has had the fish for a while now.
You will. I didn't either for 10 years. Then I lost 25 fish in 24 hours.

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will. I didn't either for 10 years. Then I lost 25 fish in 24 hours.
idk man i do qts at work and as long as you get healthy fish that eat from a reputable store you should be fine, but it is a risk. this guys foxface has no velvet whatsoever from the photos shown. imo there is a no point of a qt when pathogens and other harms can be brought in from even a frag so whats the point if you dont qt your corals too. at that point your just stressing the fish.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have The ability to qt at my current system but from what I know the fox face shouldn’t have velvet.
He has been at the shop for at least 2 or so weeks before I bought him with 2-3 other fish in copper. Then in my system for around 3 weeks and has no spots. (Edit) unless velvet takes a bit longer to show up. I’m not sure.
He just hasn’t eaten frozen well, he does eat nori well, and I see him peck algae around the tank occasionally.
I did fw dip and didn’t see any flukes when I first got him too.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
idk man i do qts at work and as long as you get healthy fish that eat from a reputable store you should be fine, but it is a risk. this guys foxface has no velvet whatsoever from the photos shown. imo there is a no point of a qt when pathogens and other harms can be brought in from even a frag so whats the point if you dont qt your corals too. at that point your just stressing the fish.
It's better than losing all your fish. I cut the plug and dip in h2o2. After losing 25 fish you take all precautions. A powder blue brought the velvet in. He was fine for 6 weeks. No one is going to observe a fish for 6 weeks and think it's still a carrier. They were 100% one day and then all died before I even knew what to do. All my fish get copper and prazipro. Wrasse get hybrid TTM. Even TTM is better than nothing and it doesn't cause much stress. I think it's irresponsible to not qt. If you don't want to stress fish leave them in the ocean!

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have The ability to qt at my current system but from what I know the fox face shouldn’t have velvet.
He has been at the shop for at least 2 or so weeks before I bought him with 2-3 other fish in copper. Then in my system for around 3 weeks and has no spots.
He just hasn’t eaten frozen well, he does eat nori well, and I see him peck algae around the tank occasionally.
once its in the system a qt wont do much if the tanks not fallow, id say dont stress about it too much and enjoy your new fish.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He has been at the shop for at least 2 or so weeks before I bought him with 2-3 other fish in copper. Then in my system for around 3 weeks and has no spots. (Edit) unless velvet takes a bit longer to show up. I’m not sure.
Everyone had the ability to quarantine. All it takes is a 10g tank and a HOB filter. Your other option is to buy qt fish. Sounds like you are going to learn the hard way like 99% of us do.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's better than losing all your fish. I cut the plug and dip in h2o2. After losing 25 fish you take all precautions. A powder blue brought the velvet in. He was fine for 6 weeks. No one is going to observe a fish for 6 weeks and think it's still a carrier. They were 100% one day and then all died before I even knew what to do. All my fish get copper and prazipro. Wrasse get hybrid TTM. Even TTM is better than nothing and it doesn't cause much stress. I think it's irresponsible to not qt. If you don't want to stress fish leave them in the ocean!
I wish I could qt, it just isn’t possible right now. I can try to do a hydrogen peroxide dip. (If that’s what h2o2 is).

(edit) wrote this reply before the other message loaded.
I can maybe have a 5-10 gallon to have as a qt/observation. I do try to do my best with keeping healthy fish but I know a qt is the best way. Eventually I’ll be able to have one.

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to each to their own, ive been going on 5 years with no issues and dont plan to qt any time soon, qts work and have their place, but not with me.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now when I fed him a bit ago he seems to have shown interest and maybe ate a bite or two. Just not enough to sustain himself.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back