Frag tank build

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller said, "These are full spectrum. The color temp I believe is between 15 & 18k" is one enough? if not ill need to look further.

I don't if one would be enough since the tank is 24" wide and the 150a is recommended up to 18".

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, must have crossed the links, I meant to link this from ebay:

T5 Quad 24" Timer Aquarium Light Fowlr Coral Reef Cichlid 96W LED | eBay

Would this fixture be enough for my new JBJ? I already have plenty of 24 inch t5's laying around. If so I'll get this on order.

My current equipment list is:
100 watt coralife heater
Cad skimmer from Chris' tank
Tunze nano ato
jebao wp40 power head
Koralia nano power heard (had already bought it
I'm thinking I'll just redneck a stand for it
Besides the light anything else I need?

Will I need to cycle this? I have live rock that is ready to use in my main, and I can pull off 20 gallons of good water aswell. How long of a cycle if any cycle will there be?

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it cycle for about a month regardless. You just need the population to be as strong as possible for the corals. I would put the koralia power head in the back with some chaeto. And a cheap led light. The water gets pretty stagnant in the back.

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need that Jebao if you already have the Koralia....it should be enough. However, the Jebao does give you an element of controllability as well as wave making abilities, which your corals will love. I'm also assuming you meant the WP 10 and not the WP 40. The WP 40 will blow all the water out of that tank.

I don't have any issues with stagnant water in the back. That's most likely due to the skimmer and the ATO feeding in back there.

As far as cycling, I put a layer of Marcorock key largo dry rubble rock below the eggcrate frag rack, and filled the back middle chamber with the same (around the skimmer of course). Then I threw in a couple cubes of mysis and let it rot. I can't remember for sure, but I think it took about two weeks to cycle.

The lighting was and is the hardest part for me. This is my first Kessil and it has been trial and error dialing in the height, intensity, and color percentage to my corals liking. I learned the hard way that you cannot go by PAR readings with this light. I think the T5s you're looking at should be just fine, especially if you're only doing softies and LPS. I'd ditch the stock bulbs for higher quality ones.

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need that Jebao if you already have the Koralia....it should be enough. However, the Jebao does give you an element of controllability as well as wave making abilities, which your corals will love. I'm also assuming you meant the WP 10 and not the WP 40. The WP 40 will blow all the water out of that tank.

I don't have any issues with stagnant water in the back. That's most likely due to the skimmer and the ATO feeding in back there.

As far as cycling, I put a layer of Marcorock key largo dry rubble rock below the eggcrate frag rack, and filled the back middle chamber with the same (around the skimmer of course). Then I threw in a couple cubes of mysis and let it rot. I can't remember for sure, but I think it took about two weeks to cycle.

The lighting was and is the hardest part for me. This is my first Kessil and it has been trial and error dialing in the height, intensity, and color percentage to my corals liking. I learned the hard way that you cannot go by PAR readings with this light. I think the T5s you're looking at should be just fine, especially if you're only doing softies and LPS. I'd ditch the stock bulbs for higher quality ones.

Awesome info guys. It was the 10, Chris not the 40. I never really got into the Sps corals. I just like other stuff better. When my new lighting comes in, I will have a couple of Sps corals, but I do not into to try and grow any in the frag tank. Honestly my favorite corals. Are Zoas/palys, acans, chalices, and favia. I just ordered a new Red Sea master kit, so I should be good for the cycling process.

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just checked on everything. Weather permitting, I should have everything by March 2nd. I really appreciate all of your help guys. I'll update you on the progress as things move along.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just checked on everything. Weather permitting, I should have everything by March 2nd. I really appreciate all of your help guys. I'll update you on the progress as things move along.

Awesome, looking forward to the build.

Bueller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 30g breeder with 20 long sump for sale if you'd be interested. I was going to use it as a frag tank but never got around to it.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425228413.109904.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to keep it together man but I'll let you know if I dont

If I hadn't already bought that jbj, I would take you up on it. Still got that rock? Imma need some to put in my new frag tank. It arrived today, so I'll try and get it set up tomorrow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 39.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back