Fragging Devil Hand Leather

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve been wondering if I try to frag my first Coral and not sure how to. I have a devil hand leather which I hear is supposed to be very easy to frag but I’m not sure how to frag I’ve been trying to find videos but can’t. I also want to frag zoanthids but my zoanthids I’ve had for the longest time and they just won’t grow at all not sure why they won’t. I’ve. Attached a picture of the leather and I was thinking about just cutting a single branch and glueing it to a piece of rock in the tank.

7BF0CCF3-BFD1-4A89-80B9-4AFCD47319F7.jpeg

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With zoanthids you can use a scapple and scrape some of the rock off from underneath or put a frag plug by them and they will grow on top of it. I would check out stability of parameters for zoas if your having an issue. They like nutrients but not too much so if you have 0 or way to high nitrates this can cause it.

Also wear gloves and eye protection and wash hands thoroughly after fragging and do a water change. Zoa's can be toxic if you get them in your mouth or cuts. Low risk but just wanted you to know that. Most zoas are not that dangerous but some do have palytoxin I have frag and cut them no problems but better to be safe then sorry.
Here's a link on how to frag leathers He also has another link for zoas.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With zoanthids you can use a scapple and scrape some of the rock off from underneath or put a frag plug by them and they will grow on top of it. I would check out stability of parameters for zoas if your having an issue. They like nutrients but not too much so if you have 0 or way to high nitrates this can cause it.

Also wear gloves and eye protection and wash hands thoroughly after fragging and do a water change. Zoa's can be toxic if you get them in your mouth or cuts. Low risk but just wanted you to know that. Most zoas are not that dangerous but some do have palytoxin I have frag and cut them no problems but better to be safe then sorry.

Thank you so much. Never seen someone this helpful

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One thing on this is that my toadstoll doesn’t have stuff to cut off it’s massive but it’s just in one flat almost like a circle. And I looked at the videos and was there one for just a devil hand leather coral that’s what I was looking for. But if I can’t find the video I think just cutting off a branch of one and glueing it to a rock would be perfectly fine?

Attachments

• CD41638E-07E2-4849-A5CC-1E4C93C04655.jpeg
    CD41638E-07E2-4849-A5CC-1E4C93C04655.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 42

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that would be fine leathers are pretty tough corals just know it will take a little bit of time to heal and attach to frag plug. So have a rubber band or string to tie it to the plug. My toadstool sometimes randomly drops part of itself into tiny balls.

It looks bad for a couple weeks then heals. Just have a low flow area in tank where you can get the frag to attach because glue wont work. If possible I would also run some carbon during the cut. Sometimes leathers have a defense system where they use chemical warfare and release it into water to help out compete other corals. If no carbon do a couple water changes the day and week you do it.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To frag a Devil Hand Leather you must first conjure an unbroken circle of protection within five feet of your aquarium and read three spells from the Grimoire Memoratrix chapter three hundred and fourty-five. Let me know when you get to this stage and I'll reveal the rest of the process.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back