Freshwater aquascaper evolving his hobby

Is all-in-one better than having a sump below the stand for a 30gal. display?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m new to this site. I found out about it through a co-worker as his sibling (seasoned enthusiast) frequents this site for assistance.

I work as a sterile processing technician at my local hospital, and I’m constantly under pressure from my work environment. Any mistake I make can result in injury to myself or harm to a patient with a likelihood of either resulting in my termination. My work requires production and immaculate attention to detail. My department services all other hospital departments, with surgery being the V.I.P customer. I regularly deal with and handle irritable people on the phone, my stress levels can be astronomical so maintaining my freshwater aquascape set-up is my way of decompressing. New set-up, just recently planted.
864828BB-0D61-4725-8AEB-72C2C01D20A4.jpeg

EDE7F4BD-E974-4190-AABD-1F9BEA7416A9.jpeg
I started with freshwater in 2009 and started aquascaping about 4 years ago when I went high-tech. I have caught most of the Pokémon available up until Sun/Moon, regularly play Clash Royale, and countless
strategy/puzzle/survival games.

The initial cost of saltwater has always made it prohibitive, but this year the planets and stars have aligned and my wife made THE suggestion on the condition we get Ocellaris. I have started doing my due diligenceand I’m hoping some of you will be able to help out soon once I get my build thread started.

I still can’t find a website that sells a pre-drilled 30-40 gallon rimless low-iron tank. I have a spare Current USA 6011 pump that
moves water at 635 - 3170 gph (2400-12000 lph) and a 20 gallon tank that I planned to make a sump out of. I plan on building a stand for the set-up. Any suggestions, or advice will greatly appreciated. I live around the Chicagoland area, and am totally unfamiliar with any group.

Thanks for reading, hope to meet you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nothing wrong with an aio and they even make perfect skimmers for them. I recommend Ice Cap K-1 or K2-50 which looks and performs like a full time skimmer.

xmas welcome 8.jpg

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m new to this site. I found out about it through a co-worker as his sibling (seasoned enthusiast) frequents this site for assistance.

I work as a sterile processing technician at my local hospital, and I’m constantly under pressure from my work environment. Any mistake I make can result in injury to myself or harm to a patient with a likelihood of either resulting in my termination. My work requires production and immaculate attention to detail. My department services all other hospital departments, with surgery being the V.I.P customer. I regularly deal with and handle irritable people on the phone, my stress levels can be astronomical so maintaining my freshwater aquascape set-up is my way of decompressing. New set-up, just recently planted.
864828BB-0D61-4725-8AEB-72C2C01D20A4.jpeg

EDE7F4BD-E974-4190-AABD-1F9BEA7416A9.jpeg
I started with freshwater in 2009 and started aquascaping about 4 years ago when I went high-tech. I have caught most of the Pokémon available up until Sun/Moon, regularly play Clash Royale, and countless
strategy/puzzle/survival games.

The initial cost of saltwater has always made it prohibitive, but this year the planets and stars have aligned and my wife made THE suggestion on the condition we get Ocellaris. I have started doing my due diligenceand I’m hoping some of you will be able to help out soon once I get my build thread started.

I still can’t find a website that sells a pre-drilled 30-40 gallon rimless low-iron tank. I have a spare Current USA 6011 pump that
moves water at 635 - 3170 gph (2400-12000 lph) and a 20 gallon tank that I planned to make a sump out of. I plan on building a stand for the set-up. Any suggestions, or advice will greatly appreciated. I live around the Chicagoland area, and am totally unfamiliar with any group.

Thanks for reading, hope to meet you.
welcome
if you still play pokemon I think I can battle even though I have ultra moon haven't checked though

also beautiful tank hoping to do a real aqua scaped tank not just throwing plants randomly

OP
OP
1Arrecife

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I like sumps only for the extra room, however AIOs work great.

Welcome to R2R. I prefer sumps for the ability to have more options for equipment. AIOs are too restrictive.

This is my main concern, that as I progress this I will want all the equipment to make the tank easier to maintain or enjoy. I was looking at innovative marine Nuvo fusion tanks and was wondering if I would have enough space to work with if I went AIO with diff. brands. Their equipment seems to be sized to be exclusive. Would I even have enough room for bio. media, or a fuge? granted the rock in the display would do most of it.

OP
OP
1Arrecife

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome
if you still play pokemon I think I can battle even though I have ultra moon haven't checked though

also beautiful tank hoping to do a real aqua scaped tank not just throwing plants randomly
Thanks, I’d recommend you look into Dennis Wong’s channel on you tube or his main website 2hr aquarist. He’s an incredibly talented source of info. on aquascaping as he tries to simplify a complete approach to it. I don’t really play Pokémon anymore, just collect perhaps one of these days. My days of competitive battling are long gone!

OP
OP
1Arrecife

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a small fuge. For the most part AIOs seem to be proprietary. I do have the IM 20. I am growing a mangrove in it. Very basic tank. I will eventually move my leather in there.
Would you say IM has the better selection of proprietary equipment compared to other brands? I have been leaning towards IM because of a colleague.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back