FRESHWATER urgent issue

thunderwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for posting about freshwater here but this is the only forum I have and I need to go to work in the next 10 minutes.

Two days ago I noticed a fish that I believe just had babies swimming oddly and sort of spinning top to bottom either near the bottom of with it's head in the substrate, shortly after it stopped and started eating fine. Only thing I noticed was one eye looked bigger than the other (Should be pictured). Messaged a couple friends, they didn't really have much to say so I thought I would just keep an eye on it. Then it died the next day. This morning I get up to my alarm and another fish is doing the same. Different species of cichlid, same tank, they've been together for months at this point. Any ideas what could be doing this? Water is fine.

IMG_20210424_202444.jpg IMG_20210424_202420.jpg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the disease but I can help tackle the root cause. Do you have males and females together and if so what ratios? I have only lost cichlids when my ratios are less than 1:4 M to F as they males tend to continue to pester the females while they are holding. Nitrate and alk readings would be helpful as well as tank temp. If you see lots of chasing from one fish to the same fish this is a bad sign as they should switch off chasing pairs pretty frequently.

Popeye is the ailment in the photo but you likely have a several bacterial infections from the attacks. Melafix or an anti-biotic should help. Can you rephrase this "swimming oddly and sort of spinning top to bottom either near the bottom of with it's head in the substrate" and video if possible?

OP
OP
thunderwolf

thunderwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the disease but I can help tackle the root cause. Do you have males and females together and if so what ratios? I have only lost cichlids when my ratios are less than 1:4 M to F as they males tend to continue to pester the females while they are holding. Nitrate and alk readings would be helpful as well as tank temp. If you see lots of chasing from one fish to the same fish this is a bad sign as they should switch off chasing pairs pretty frequently.

Popeye is the ailment in the photo but you likely have a several bacterial infections from the attacks. Melafix or an anti-biotic should help. Can you rephrase this "swimming oddly and sort of spinning top to bottom either near the bottom of with it's head in the substrate" and video if possible?
I did have a video but unfortunately I sent it as a message on instagram so a couple people and it didn't save to my phone. I'm at work now so I can't take another until probably 9 hours or so from now. The best I can describe it is not exactly slow spinning but probably a top to bottom rotation every 1.5 seconds or so. As far as the male to female ratio I haven't done a headcount but the rough average is probably more like 1:1 which I am aware isn't ideal but it hasn't been an issue until now. That one fish in that tank that had babies had them probably a month or so ago.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swim bladder comes to mind but usually it causes them to struggle and stay toward the bottom. Both would be a bacterial but SBD in freshwater usually comes from a stressor like water temp getting too cold or water chemistry issues.

My insta is @brenttheaquarist if you can forward it. Fixing the male to female is key and usually you can just add a batch of females and remove the 2nd largest male.

OP
OP
thunderwolf

thunderwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swim bladder comes to mind but usually it causes them to struggle and stay toward the bottom. Both would be a bacterial but SBD in freshwater usually comes from a stressor like water temp getting too cold or water chemistry issues.

My insta is @brenttheaquarist if you can forward it. Fixing the male to female is key and usually you can just add a batch of females and remove the 2nd largest male.
On insta it was one of the things where you just press and hold and then you can't replay it or anything. I'll do a water test/ probably change when I get home and check that the heater didn't die or something but other than that for the moment I don't really have anything else I can post.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back