Fritz Salt Issues?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twas sarcasm. I can guarantee there have been more tank crashes with IO than anything else though LOL.

Interesting.. I have probably used a dump truck load of IO over the last 35 years and have never experienced any negative issues besides the residue it sometimes leaves in my mixing containers.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a hard one to pinpoint the course, the only thing is, if you know someone or somewhere you could send a water sample or salt sample to have it tested, would probably give you peace of mind.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The big three? Couldn't have been that; results were way too dramatic, especially with my 20% change. 25% max. Immediate complete polyp retraction until RTN. Alkalinity, Ca, Mg couldn't cause that. Im thinking some weird chemical or contaminant. We will know soon :). If it is a contaminant in the mix, I don't intend to forgive LOL. I mixed the sample in a glass cup that was cleaned with RODI, to avoid the possibility that it was my brute can. (That I've used hundreds of times).

How’s your tank today? Does batch with the potential issue have the same lot number as the others ?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It is a hard one to pinpoint the course, the only thing is, if you know someone or somewhere you could send a water sample or salt sample to have it tested, would probably give you peace of mind.

One of fritz users did just that! He posted the icp result as well.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.. I have probably used a dump truck load of IO over the last 35 years and have never experienced any negative issues besides the residue it sometimes leaves in my mixing containers.

20+ years and neither have I; well, I've had corals die but never at the hands of the salt.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you test for?
Just to see if there’s anything at all, as a few members have been referring to the Fritz salt being the course, it could just be a bad batch maybe contaminated in some way. I’m no expert in analysis but if it was happening to me I would want to do these checks.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back a few pages I would wager good money that LA salt is Fritz salt. The instructions are the same, the listed parameters are identical, and other than the graphics, the packaging is exactly the same. Same box, same bucket, same bag.

So if it walks like a duck, and all that...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s your tank today? Does batch with the potential issue have the same lot number as the others ?

Tank is recovering well. Lost a few colonies, oh well. I trashed the box out of caution, but the ICP test was fine, so it could really be anything. Perhaps the corals were out of water longer than usual, or released some toxins when I annoyed them. Cant really point fingers when the ICP was more or less fine. (Id rather be wrong than try to accuse someone and be wrong) .

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Tank is recovering well. Lost a few colonies, oh well. I trashed the box out of caution, but the ICP test was fine, so it could really be anything. Perhaps the corals were out of water longer than usual, or released some toxins when I annoyed them. Cant really point fingers when the ICP was more or less fine. (Id rather be wrong than try to accuse someone and be wrong) .

I agree with your logic. You were one of the few who stood up for Fritz. I have read many a post from you and value your input. We still do not have any concrete evidence to point this to Fritz but it can't all be coinceidence.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your logic. You were one of the few who stood up for Fritz. I have read many a post from you and value your input. We still do not have any concrete evidence to point this to Fritz but it can't all be coinceidence.

I used the same "set" of salt since then (I get 4 boxes at a time) with no issue, either. I think I may have just panicked and thew away the box, after both reading these threads and seeing the RTN. It could be anything.... an anemone getting into a powerhead, corals being out of water too long (I do 40g in a 100g system, so many colonies are not submerged), etc.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, if you added up all the people killing corals with Instant Ocean, the Fritz [potential] issue would pale in comparison.

Probably true, but I do not think it has anything to do with the salt mix. More people use IO, so more people have problems from all sorts of other causes.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably true, but I do not think it has anything to do with the salt mix. More people use IO, so more people have problems from all sorts of other causes.
I have made this point among my local circle.. and agree.

Reeferjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep sounds about right. I use fritz and CANNOT keep montipora and struggle with other s as well

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on how well any commercial product (two part, three part or Balling three part) approximates the perfection that was the exact wording of my statement, since I have not seen actual data for any of the products in question. My statement was that a perfect embodiment of either method can attain ionic balance (for every element).
Like I said Randy, I have to dissagree!

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep sounds about right. I use fritz and CANNOT keep montipora and struggle with other s as well

I'm not sure what 'sounds about right', but I use Fritz RPM and my montipora grow like crazy. I prune and throw away 10x what I'm able to sell and give away, which is a lot.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back