Fritz Salt Issues?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be really helpful if you would say 'why' its wrong which you dont do

i.e. You can just do 2 part *(formula x) but you should also do zzzzzz. I personally think there is any 'method'. Dr Balling notwithstanding, I would ask - lets say the average moron is feeding his/her fish the reasonable amount - what is the chance that these "trace elements" are not being supplied?
I tried to explain briefly by saying that "The ONLY way it could do that is if it contained ALL 70 (let's not argue about that number, I'm rounding off) of the trace elements found in natural sea water. And I don't know if ANY two part system that does that." If that doesn't make sense, then it would be much easier to do the rest of the explanation on the phone rather than trying to explain in text here. Please feel free to give me a call in the office at 413-367-0101 during East Coast business hours, if you would like to speak about this in more detail.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried to explain briefly by saying that "The ONLY way it could do that is if it contained ALL 70 (let's not argue about that number, I'm rounding off) of the trace elements found in natural sea water. And I don't know if ANY two part system that does that." If that doesn't make sense, then it would be much easier to do the rest of the explanation on the phone rather than trying to explain in text here. Please feel free to give me a call in the office at 413-367-0101 during East Coast business hours, if you would like to speak about this in more detail.
I was under the impression that 'ionic balance' referred to the main ions in seawater not 'trace elements'.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In general, when we talk about "ionic balance" we are referencing all the ions (lets say components) in natural sea water. Not just the main ones.
My point was that the differences from adding 2 part are trivial. Of course - if you add even a drop of water into a 100 gallon tank - the ionic balance will 'change' - but it is totally meaningless. Just like if you feed the fish - you will also add some trace elements - but it doesn't affect anything in a meaningful way.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point was that the differences from adding 2 part are trivial. Of course - if you add even a drop of water into a 100 gallon tank - the ionic balance will 'change' - but it is totally meaningless. Just like if you feed the fish - you will also add some trace elements - but it doesn't affect anything in a meaningful way.
I think we could go back and forth forever on this issue. SO I will just say this in response... If you look at the numbers, it seems to back up, that the ionic balance is compromised in more than just a meaningful or practical way. So in my opinion, this all does make a quantifiable difference in application.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not 100% convinced Fritz salt is the issue, however with so many people having issues that are currently using the salt, it does make you wonder. There is a chance it is all a coincidence, or there might be something to it. Regardless of the fact I would not risk my reef, even if there is only a 10% chance the salt is the issue. Either way this cannot be good for Fritz's bottom line.

DzidtheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason im using fritz salt is because I found it at 40bux a box so i went ahead and got 6boxes and I have 2 boxes remaining. Cant wait to finish them off so I can get onto red sea

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be really helpful if you would say 'why' its wrong which you dont do

i.e. You can just do 2 part *(formula x) but you should also do zzzzzz. I personally do not think there is any one 'method'. Dr Balling notwithstanding, I would ask - lets say the average moron is feeding his/her fish the reasonable amount - what is the chance that these "trace elements" are not being supplied?
I am an average moron.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not 100% convinced Fritz salt is the issue, however with so many people having issues that are currently using the salt, it does make you wonder. There is a chance it is all a coincidence, or there might be something to it. Regardless of the fact I would not risk my reef, even if there is only a 10% chance the salt is the issue. Either way this cannot be good for Fritz's bottom line.

Yea, if you added up all the people killing corals with Instant Ocean, the Fritz [potential] issue would pale in comparison.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup, this is the next step.. Is it just conincidence that reefers tanks are crashing and using Fritz? Like, if I started a thread, except replace Fritz w/ Tropic marin would 10 people reply their tanks are crashing with TM?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, this is the next step.. Is it just conincidence that reefers tanks are crashing and using Fritz? Like, if I started a thread, except replace Fritz w/ Tropic marin would 10 people reply their tanks are crashing with TM?

I understand your frustration, but this exact situation happened to reef crystals like 15 years ago. At that time there weren't a ton of options and things kept going on. There was no conclusion and during that time I was using Reef Crystals. I am not saying there isn't an issue, just that we need to be able to prove exactly what it is.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say I've used nothing but Fritz RPM for the past 3-1/2 years and have not had the slightest issue. In fact, I've been very happy with it, which is why I have no intentions of changing salt mixes. I purchase 1 box at a time, so each box I buy is from a different production lot.
Considering that, how does one conclude that the salt mix is the issue?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say I've used nothing but Fritz RPM for the past 3-1/2 years and have not had the slightest issue. In fact, I've been very happy with it, which is why I have no intentions of changing salt mixes. I purchase 1 box at a time, so each box I buy is from a different production lot.
Considering that, how does one conclude that the salt mix is the issue?

I feel one reason we cannot definitely say it is the salt is because there are quite a few people who are regularly using the salt without issue. Finding the exact cause will be beneficial to everyone, including Fritz the company.

With that being said, I have never used Fritz and with the speculation floating around I probably won't start anytime soon.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If looking at possibilities and extrapolating, it could just was easily be a new perfume in the home. Or a flake of drywall causing an issue. Or a temperature probe reading low.

What I mean is.... before one attributes a brand’s product to causing an issue, especially in a way that may cause others to avoid said brand, it would be good to have a even a little bit of evidence. It’s a scientific hobby; preferably not based on hunches.
Drywall is just silicate.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the name of the owner of Fritz? I ask because I can not for the life of me remember. However I know there is a message train on my facebook from him explaining a lot and I would love to reread it, but I have like a thousand freaking messages in there. I have no idea who half these people are, but I talked to them. LOL!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know , Randy, I have to disagree. I will give you that a properly designed two part system can very closely approximate the ionic balance achieved by the Balling Method. But I strongly disagree, and feel it is a very misleading statement to say, that the well designed two part system accomplishes "exactly what the Balling Method does in terms of ionic balance"! The ONLY way it could do that is if it contained ALL 70 (let's not argue about that number, I'm rounding off) of the trace elements found in natural sea water. And I don't know if ANY two part system that does that.

I can’t comment on how well any commercial product (two part, three part or Balling three part) approximates the perfection that was the exact wording of my statement, since I have not seen actual data for any of the products in question. My statement was that a perfect embodiment of either method can attain ionic balance (for every element).

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, if you added up all the people killing corals with Instant Ocean, the Fritz [potential] issue would pale in comparison.

I would be very interested in any data or verified first hand accounts of people killing corals with instant Ocean.. can you provide sources to support this claim?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very interested in any data or verified first hand accounts of people killing corals with instant Ocean.. can you provide sources to support this claim?

Twas sarcasm. I can guarantee there have been more tank crashes with IO than anything else though LOL.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back