Frogspawn not too happy

Noahw730

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have had 2 frogspawn for a few weeks now in my nano, one opened up really nicely and now hardly opens up at all and the other hasn’t opened up anywhere near what it was like in my lfs.

my params are
Salinity: 35ppt
Alk: 11.5 (using Red Sea coral pro)
Calc: 450
Mag: 1350
Phosphate: 0.03
pH: 8

i have a Monti cap, zoas, gps and some Seriatopora which seem happy but just can’t get the frogspawn to open up.

If you have any ideas please let me know and it would be really appreciated!

8DEA48FF-2B54-4058-9551-4D04D7B80ED9.jpeg 8A4F3C41-436D-4020-AB75-FB91250E8AC5.jpeg

OP
OP
Noahw730

Noahw730

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lighting, stability, temp,flow?

Using ai prime 16hd at around 30% as it is a small tank. Tank is stable with salinity as I have an ato now. I thought it could be flow so I have just tried to move the power head to give them more flow.

OP
OP
Noahw730

Noahw730

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up? Lighting? Too much flow/too little? Nitrates? Alk seems a little high also

I’m using water from my bigger tank that’s been up for a year and a bit and the tank itself has been up 2 months. I have tried lower flow for a few days but nothing changed so now trying a bit higher flow. I need a new nitrate test kit so will be picking one up tomorrow. I’m using the Red Sea coral pro salt which is running the alk high but it has been fine with this alk before. The only other thing is lighting. I’m running ai prime 16 at around 30% due to the tank size, do you think this would be too much?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on everything that @SifuMemphis asked/stated.

Alk is a little in the high side. Generally qe want it between 7-11 dkh, and obviously we prefer it to be closer to the middle of that range as it gives us more wiggle room for any changes to it. Closer to 7 or 11 and then we run greater risk of it swinging outside the preferred range and resulting in negative effects. So bring yours down a bit. Maybe do a water change.

And as stated, we need as much information on your setup as possible, so we need to know the brand/model of your lights, what settings they are running, what your flow is like, what filter media you are running, and all the other parameters you left out such as nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter on make/model of lighting. They flourish under the cheapest LED's and a decent par, how long are you giving them light?

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using ai prime 16hd at around 30% as it is a small tank. Tank is stable with salinity as I have an ato now. I thought it could be flow so I have just tried to move the power head to give them more flow.

They don't need a lot of flow but can do well in any flow. They prefer if flow is from underneath.

OP
OP
Noahw730

Noahw730

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on everything that @SifuMemphis asked/stated.

Alk is a little in the high side. Generally qe want it between 7-11 dkh, and obviously we prefer it to be closer to the middle of that range as it gives us more wiggle room for any changes to it. Closer to 7 or 11 and then we run greater risk of it swinging outside the preferred range and resulting in negative effects. So bring yours down a bit. Maybe do a water change.

And as stated, we need as much information on your setup as possible, so we need to know the brand/model of your lights, what settings they are running, what your flow is like, what filter media you are running, and all the other parameters you left out such as nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia.

thanks for getting back to me!
I’m running the Red Sea coral pro which is why I’ve got a higher alk and my lfs said that there should be no issues with it but maybe I need to get something with a Lower alk?
I am running an ai prime 16 at around 30% (using the acclimation mode)

I need to get a new ammonia and nitrate test kit as they have both ran out but I did a 10% water change today. My nitrites are at 0.1. I’m running carbon in the filter with a sponge as well as some bio filter blocks.

144B9FD8-99E2-4C0C-AA8A-EF44D66F8B80.png

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter on make/model of lighting. They flourish under the cheapest LED's and a decent par, how long are you giving them light?
True, but more common brands like AI and we can probably find a setting for it that he can copy from somewhere here on the forums or from BRS recommended.

OP
OP
Noahw730

Noahw730

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they have a 8hr max period with a 2 hour ramp up and down. Is this too much?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't big fans of carbon. I only run it a few days every month or 2.
Agreed. When I run carbon, or like I am right now Chemipure Blue, I tend to feed more so as to keep my nutrient levels from hitting zero. Not only does it keep my fish fat (and from eating my CUC), but it makes my Euphyllias happy.

OP
OP
Noahw730

Noahw730

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. When I run carbon, or like I am right now Chemipure Blue, I tend to feed more so as to keep my nutrient levels from hitting zero. Not only does it keep my fish fat (and from eating my CUC), but it makes my Euphyllias happy.

thank you! I’ll take out the carbon and see what that does!

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to little, I run mine for 14 hours with the ramp up and down Included.
Yeah 8 hours is too short.

I run my Kessil A360Xs on my 29 gallon from about 6:45am until 10:15 pm. With ramp up and down included. I also run them max at 60% intensity. Everything is growing fine.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back