Frogspawn polyp migration?

LookItsAdam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some tank maintenance yesterday and temporarily got rid of my frag rack, moving my coral frags on to the rocks in the mean time. This morning I woke up and noticed the frogspawn had not opened (not surprised or worried, it probably doesn't like its new spot), however I did notice what looks like a new colony starting on the rockwork below it. See pic.

It 100% looks like a tiny frogspawn colony and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before. CAN this even happen? Has anybody had this happen before? The frogspawn has only ever lived on my frag rack in the tank, which was about 8in away from where this pic was taken. My only other theory is that the emerald crab, seen in the corner of the pic, ripped off a piece of flesh which just happen to fall there, and will soon die.

Any thoughts?

Image from iOS.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogspawn will make tiny offshoots when they are growing.These will have a hard skeleton like the mother colony.Sometimes a piece of the flesh will "bail out". This is usually a result of stress or damage and the loose flesh simply dies.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, it could be a new polyp, but my best guess is that something tore the coral. I realize this thread is a little old. How did it turn out?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back