From Phoenix AZ

Irish lass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not new to reefing, but have been without a tank for 3 years. Have a new red sea 525. It's been years since I have cycled a tank. Currently using reef socks. Simplicity skimmer. Tank has been up for about 7 weeks. It's cloudy. Nitrate is down to 30 and salinity is 3. All else is normal. Have a pair of clowns. How do I get the water clear?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_0084.gif

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not new to reefing, but have been without a tank for 3 years. Have a new red sea 525. It's been years since I have cycled a tank. Currently using reef socks. Simplicity skimmer. Tank has been up for about 7 weeks. It's cloudy. Nitrate is down to 30 and salinity is 3. All else is normal. Have a pair of clowns. How do I get the water clear?
wait..what ..salinity is 3 ? what measurement system you using...it is suppose to be around or at 35.0 or 1.025

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Do you know why it is cloudy? Cloudy water on a new tank can be caused by suspended sand particles if you have fine-grained sand (if bare-bottomed obviously not the case) or a phytoplankton bloom (would have a slightly greenish tint to it) or a bacterial bloom (usually a whiteish tint--but suspended sand is also usually whiteish), maybe even a few others I didn't think of like micro-bubbles can make a tank appear cloudy also. If it is phytoplankton the quickest fix is a small hang-in-the-tank UV Sterilizer. The same UV Sterilizer would help with a bacterial bloom but probably not as quickly. If it is sand my advice would be to be patient. It will clear eventually. Carbon will help some in all of these cases so it is not a bad solution if you don't know the origin of the issue.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
I

Irish lass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Do you know why it is cloudy? Cloudy water on a new tank can be caused by suspended sand particles if you have fine-grained sand (if bare-bottomed obviously not the case) or a phytoplankton bloom (would have a slightly greenish tint to it) or a bacterial bloom (usually a whiteish tint--but suspended sand is also usually whiteish), maybe even a few others I didn't think of like micro-bubbles can make a tank appear cloudy also. If it is phytoplankton the quickest fix is a small hang-in-the-tank UV Sterilizer. The same UV Sterilizer would help with a bacterial bloom but probably not as quickly. If it is sand my advice would be to be patient. It will clear eventually. Carbon will help some in all of these cases so it is not a bad solution if you don't know the origin of the issue.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
It is brownish when the filter socks are changed. Skimmer is white bubbles. Will see what this week is like with the carbon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back